Professional Web Applications Themes

Prefered Coding Language! - ASP Database

Hi all, I have been coding in ASP for a while now using VB script as my language of choice. Just wondering what the prefered language for most professional developers out there is.. Is jscript or javascript a better option...?? Why???? AK Replys appreciated!!!!...

  1. #1

    Default Prefered Coding Language!

    Hi all,

    I have been coding in ASP for a while now using VB script as my language of
    choice.
    Just wondering what the prefered language for most professional developers
    out there is..

    Is jscript or javascript a better option...??

    Why????

    AK
    Replys appreciated!!!!

    Anthony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Prefered Coding Language!

    "Anthony Judd" <com.au> wrote in message
    of

    I only use VBScript and haven't had the need to use anything else.

    PW Guest

  3. #3

    Anthony Judd wrote on 24 sep 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db:

    ASP has no javascript [strictly speaking]

    It strongly depends on your experience and fluency in the language.

    "professionality" is NOT a absolute measure of experience or quality in
    this fast changing cyberworld.

    I woud ask for preference of "experienced" programmers.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan. Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:25:51 +1000, "Anthony Judd"
    <com.au> wrote:

    Jscript, there's no Javascript in ASP. :)

    Use what you're comfortable with and can do the job in. One factor in
    your choice may be the move to a .NET world, where C## would
    definitely be the dominating language. A VBScript background tends to
    make you move to VB in .NET. In the end, they're just languages.

    Jeff
    Jeff Guest

  5. #5

    The majority of the world uses VB Script, so when getting sample code or
    looking for help, that's mostly what you'll find. I personally feel that
    you're generally better off using VB Script because it's the norm, but you
    should also educate yourself enough to be fully capable of rewriting all of
    your code in jscript.

    Ray at work

    "Anthony Judd" <com.au> wrote in message

    Ray Guest

  6. #6

    Why not?

    <script language=JavaScript runat=server>
    Response.Write("<p>JavaScript");
    </script>

    <script language=JScript runat=server>
    Response.Write("<p>JScript");
    </script>

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "Jeff Cochran" <com> wrote in message
    news:microsoft.com... [/ref]
    of [/ref]
    developers

    > Jscript, there's no Javascript in ASP. :)

    > Use what you're comfortable with and can do the job in. One factor in
    > your choice may be the move to a .NET world, where C## would
    > definitely be the dominating language. A VBScript background tends to
    > make you move to VB in .NET. In the end, they're just languages.
    >
    > Jeff[/ref]

    Aaron Guest

  7. #7

    I've been wondering the same thing. Are Evertjan and Jeff saying that ASP
    ignores the Javascript specification and forces Jscript to be used instead?

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote on 24 sep 2004 in
    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db:

    Yes, ASP [and IE] use, IMHO,
    a subset/superset of javascript called jscript.

    Some parts of the implementation are jscript only,
    others are lacking, I am told.

    I cannot give examples from my own experience immediately.

    ;-{

    ===========

    The latest versions of JavaScript and JScript are compliant with the
    European Computer Manufacturing Association's ECMAScript Language
    Specification (ECMA-262 standard, for short). Note that the name for this
    ECMA-262 language is ECMAScript. However, Netscape will continue to use
    the name, JavaScript and, likewise, Microsoft will continue to use the
    name, JScript. It is important to understand that the ECMA-262 standards
    sets minimum compatibility requirements. You should expect current and
    future versions of both JavaScript and JScript to also contain additional
    proprietary features, beyond the minimum requirements, designed to woo
    the developer to favor one language over the other. Fortunately, both
    Microsoft and Netscape have promised to submit new features to ECMA for
    inclusion in the evolving ECMA-262 standard.

    <http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/ecmascript/
    quickref/javascript_intro.html>

    [before the Netscape demize?]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan. Guest

  9. #9

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:23:16 -0400, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
    <noraa> wrote:

    Well, for one thing using <script> tags in ASP changes the processing
    order of the script compared to <% %> ASP tags. I think this works as
    well though:

    <% Language="JavaScript" RunAt="Server" %>
    <%
    Response.Write("<p>JavaScript")
    %>

    > Jscript, there's no Javascript in ASP. :)[/ref]

    But the real reason I posted this is that Microsoft's implementation
    of Javascript is Jscript. At one time it was a big deal that it
    *wasn't* JavaScript, but that's a dead horse now. Of course, at one
    time it was ActiveScript, but we didn't even have IE then.

    They're basically the same server-side anyway, client side Jscript has
    some IE-dependent stuff in it but I think today they're even
    intercghangable client-side too (been a while since I used Jscriipt
    client-side).

    Jeff
    Jeff Guest

  10. #10

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <SPAMcom> wrote in message
    instead?

    Here's a recent thread that discusses the non-ECMA compliant features of
    JScript:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=ejjVfwgMEHA.1348%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx .gbl

    Or you can go straight to the horses mouth as it were:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsgrpnonecmafeatures.asp

    So technically speaking JScript is not JavaScript (ECMAScript). But if it
    walks like a duck and talks like a duck then it's doing a pretty good
    impersonation of a duck.

    Chris Guest

  11. #11

    Chris Hohmann wrote:
    > instead?
    >
    > Here's a recent thread that discusses the non-ECMA compliant features
    > of
    > JScript:
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=ejjVfwgMEHA.1348%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx .gbl
    >
    > Or you can go straight to the horses mouth as it were:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsgrpnonecmafeatures.asp
    >
    > So technically speaking JScript is not JavaScript (ECMAScript). But
    > if it
    > walks like a duck and talks like a duck then it's doing a pretty good
    > impersonation of a duck.[/ref]

    That's not what I asked. I know the difference between the two. I was asking
    if ASP ignored the request to use javascript in server-side code,
    substituting the jscript engine instead. It seems strange if it did, because
    you are allowed to use other scripting languages (Perl, Rexx, etc) in ASP.
    Why not javascript if you are so inclined? Or is the answer "Just because"?

    Bob

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Guest

  12. #12

    Thanx for the thoughts quys, I am proficient in both VB script and
    Javascript/Jscript,
    so programming comfort in that way isn't really a problem.

    Just wanted to get an idea of what other experienced developers are using.
    One thing i like about "j*script" implementations is the shorthand
    conditional constructs.
    I like to keep my code as succint and simple as possible that is what
    inspired this post.
    But if the most use vbscript there is very possibly a good reason.

    Once again, thanx for all your comments.

    AJ

    Anthony Guest

  13. #13

    If you install a pr that does standard JavaScript instead of the one
    that IIS comes with. By default IIS will run all server side JavaScript
    as if it was Jscript because that is the closet language it has available.

    Joker Guest

  14. #14

    I don't know if it is possible to use an ADO or OLE DB connection using
    Jscript. It could just be I didn't find any information on it & just
    ended up using vb script for my server side code.

    That's why I use VB Script for my server side code.

    Joker Guest

  15. #15

    > >Why not?
    >
    > Well, for one thing using <script> tags in ASP changes the processing
    > order of the script compared to <% %> ASP tags. I think this works as
    > well though:[/ref]

    Yep, I've got a FAQ on that one too... but I don't think it has anything to
    do with JScript vs. JavaScript.

    Aaron Guest