Professional Web Applications Themes

Preference Pane only FOLDERS? - Mac Applications & Software

I've had a problem with the preference panes on my system for quite awhile. Some applications -- for example, internet connect -- preference panes can't be selected from the application. Instead of showing me the pane itself, I get a window showing the folder where the pane files are stored. And this has persisted through a few OS X updates, so it seems to be my personal data itself. Is this an owner/permission thing? Corrupted preferences? Can it be fixed like the old classic method of just ing them away and starting the application or utility again? TIA! Mark...

  1. #1

    Default Preference Pane only FOLDERS?

    I've had a problem with the preference panes on my system for quite
    awhile. Some applications -- for example, internet connect -- preference
    panes can't be selected from the application. Instead of showing me the
    pane itself, I get a window showing the folder where the pane files are
    stored. And this has persisted through a few OS X updates, so it seems
    to be my personal data itself.

    Is this an owner/permission thing? Corrupted preferences? Can
    it be fixed like the old classic method of just ing them away
    and starting the application or utility again?

    TIA!

    Mark
    G. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Preference Pane only FOLDERS?

    In article <google.com>,
    com (G. Mark Stewart) wrote:

    yes, it might be a permissions problem. often times when a user
    loses read/execute permissions on an app it turns into a folder,
    on my system, at least. you might try running Disk Utility to fix
    permissions, see if that helps.
    sam Guest

  3. #3

    sam grey <com> wrote in message news:<NnB8b.232876$ops.asp.att.net>...

    > yes, it might be a permissions problem. often times when a user
    > loses read/execute permissions on an app it turns into a folder,
    > on my system, at least. you might try running Disk Utility to fix
    > permissions, see if that helps.[/ref]

    Didn't seem to help, but it did find some things that needed repairing,
    apparently. However, I've determined that the preference panes themselves
    work fine when accessed via the System Preferences apple-menu selection.
    They appear as a window <X>.prefPane with the folder "Contents" in
    them when accessed from the menu bar. This is for displays, network,
    internet, modem, date&time, and energy saver on my system.

    Mark
    G. Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    com (G. Mark Stewart) wrote:

    well, when you go into the Terminal and type:

    ls -l /System/library/PreferencePanes/

    what do you see? what kinds of permissions do the various pref
    panes have?
    sam Guest

  5. #5

    In <google.com>
    G. Mark Stewart <com> wrote:

    Try removing the following, then log out and log back in:

    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist
    ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache

    (where ~ represents your home directory)

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

  6. #6

    com (G. Mark Stewart) wrote in message news:<google.com>... [/ref]
    > [...]
    > >
    > > No, I'm thinking of Cache files in OS X. Usually when icons turn into
    > > folders, it's because LaunchServices is messed up. I mentioned the
    > > preference file just for completeness.
    > > , "
    > > I'd delete the preference panes cache files and launch services cache files
    > > in ~/Library/Caches and /Library/Caches, then shut down and restart (not
    > > just restart). The most you'll lose from that is custom file associations.
    > >
    > > The only thing I could find close in Apple's knowledgebase is this article:
    > >
    > > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25552[/ref]
    >
    > Well, I moved both sets of files in both locations and shut down and
    > restarted
    > the unit. It had no effect on the displays preference file at all --
    > i. e., selecting
    > the displays icon from the menu bar and going to the menu "Open
    > Displays"
    > results in a window with the single folder in it, "Contacts".[/ref]

    BTW, I just wanted to reiterate that the system preferences work fine when
    accessed not from an application (as above, in the "menu bar" for displays)
    but from the System Preferences panel, so the preferences themselves are
    okay.

    Mark
    G. Guest