Professional Web Applications Themes

Preparing to launch a new website. Critiques desired. - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi All: Please take a look at http://www.wendelsjewelers.com and let me know what you think. I used DWMX, FireworksMX and Photo Shop and some cut and paste Flash provided by one of the jewelry designers. The shop owner had a very embarrassing website and just wanted something that would be representative of his business and would serve to help draw people into the store. I welcome any critiques you might have. The shop owner seems to be quite pleased with the project so far. Thanks! Bob Green...

  1. #1

    Default Preparing to launch a new website. Critiques desired.

    Hi All:

    Please take a look at http://www.wendelsjewelers.com and let me know what
    you think. I used DWMX, FireworksMX and Photo Shop and some cut and paste
    Flash provided by one of the jewelry designers. The shop owner had a very
    embarrassing website and just wanted something that would be representative
    of his business and would serve to help draw people into the store. I
    welcome any critiques you might have. The shop owner seems to be quite
    pleased with the project so far. Thanks!

    Bob Green

    BG Guest

  2. #2

    I think the 'slide show' is far too big and when the purple and pink
    backgrounds for the jewelry show up it clashes with the rest of the design
    elements. The wedding set without the colored background looks the best.
    I would have used a slightly less fancy font for the buttons.
    Eleanor

    E. Guest

  3. #3

    I think that's a good call on the purple and pink. It might be a good idea
    to go ahead and cut them out. I agree that the wedding set without
    background really does look the best. Good comments. Thanks for taking the
    time to review!

    Bob

    "E. T. Culling" <com> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    BG Guest

  4. #4

    If there's any desire to sell their jewelry outside of Ohio, you might want
    to check out other jewelry sights such as bluenilediamonds that make this
    possible.

    Technically, I think the site is to heavy. The slices load very visibly
    over broadband, and will be even worse over dialup.

    HTH;

    Amy

    "BG" <net> wrote in message
    idea
    the [/ref]
    design

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Amy Guest

  5. #5

    As with all site checks, YMMV.....

    -) The use of a light gray color for headings (especially on a white
    background) is something you might want to reconsider.

    -) It would be a bit more consistent if only one navigation menu were used,
    instead of the two (gold tone as seen on the home page and gray on the
    Designer Showcase and Education pages). This is more disorienting because
    on is a vertical menu and other is a horizontal menu.

    -) Not sure about the use of frames on the Designer's Showcase and Education
    pages as the header chews up a lot of real estate.

    -) Affiliations (AGS, CGA) should be listed in one area as a repeating
    element, either in a footer or under the navigation area. If the jeweler is
    a member of the GIA or has GIA certified staff members, that should be
    listed fairly prominently. Currently the AGS logo is buried in the header,
    and the CGA logo in kind of floating at the bottom of only the home page.

    -) For a centered design, the curved bottom and right hand side is rather
    jarring in contrast to the ruler straight top and bottom.

    -) Submenus would be easier to read without the italics.They can probably be
    shunted over to the right a bit more.

    -) It might be better if you settled on a consistent border treatment of
    "logos" on the Designer Showcase page. The bottom two images are currently
    broken links.

    -) Likewise it would be nice if there was a way to make the slide show
    images a bit more consistent. Some are bordered, some aren't, some are
    masked, some have very bold color backgrounds, etc.)

    -) Some place it would be nice if services offered by the store were
    discussed
    Appraisals?
    Engraving? (Machine only or hand engraving?)
    Consignment Sales?
    Custom designs?
    Procurement of calibrated stones?

    -) Designer's Showcase and Education are currently untitled pages.

    -) On the Home, Bridal, and About Us pages there should be more of a gap
    between the menu, header and first heading.

    -) Might want to add some descriptive copy to the Diamond Jewelry, Bridal,
    and About Us pages, instead of just making them a page of links.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "BG" <net> wrote in message
    representative