Professional Web Applications Themes

Preserving links between Illustrator files and image files during system upgrade - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

Client is a design firm with thousands of Illustrator files spread across about five non-RAID external SCSI drives, most with partitions, attached to G4 server. SCSI cards will have to go in upcoming OS X migration, drives are old, so a new RAID array is being considered. Our main concern is: How do we move thousands of Illustrator files and all their linked files, which are spread over so many volumes, all to one (or fewer, or differently named) logical RAID volume while preserving all those links? From what we can see now, a new storage solution would have to ...

  1. #1

    Default Preserving links between Illustrator files and image files during system upgrade

    Client is a design firm with thousands of Illustrator files spread across about five non-RAID external SCSI drives, most with partitions, attached to G4 server. SCSI cards will have to go in upcoming OS X migration, drives are old, so a new RAID array is being considered.
    Our main concern is: How do we move thousands of Illustrator files and all their linked files, which are spread over so many volumes, all to one (or fewer, or differently named) logical RAID volume while preserving all those links?
    From what we can see now, a new storage solution would have to have the same number of volumes with the exact same names.
    I'm thinking there's got to be a way through this and that some of you have been there!
    Assume for the moment there are arguments for eventually ending up on either one volume, fewer volumes, or renamed volume(s). Is there no way to move all this stuff without the links being lost?
    Of course, going through later and re-establishing broken links is out of the question. Would take months of work.
    M._Robert_Tyler@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Just to let you know, we got a RAID server (Snap) a few years ago. We didn't like it because we couldn't do a search on it. Well we could sometimes, but it took 20 minutes. Mostly an error message stating it could not continue.

    Just thought I'd give you something to consider when choosing which RAID server to get. Or maybe they have resolved the issue by now.

    Right now we just use another Mac to back up our work, and burn to cd's occationally. But I'm sure this isn't the greatest workflow.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  3. #3

    I don't know what version you have of AI but if you have AI 10 there is a plug in called Scoop. It will collect for out put fonts and images you might be able to write an script
    or hire someone to write a script to automate a batch collection and choose the new raid as the destination.

    With Scoop you do not have to collect the fonts if you do not wish. You can get Scoop at Adobe Exchange it is by Doug Habben.

    Perhaps there is a script to batch collect. I would think that would be the sensible way.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest