Professional Web Applications Themes

Prevent X Windows Starting up - Debian

Hi, I have an install of the unstable distribution with a 2.4 Kernel. When I boot up, my keyboard and mouse become disabled as soon as the log in manager displays. Can you tell me how to stop x-windows from starting during the boot process so that I can try and find the cause of the issue. I cannot disable x windows from the command line because I can never get in. If you have any clues as to what might be causing my keyboard to disable in the first place, I would be very grateful to hear them. Many ...

  1. #1

    Default Prevent X Windows Starting up

    Hi,

    I have an install of the unstable distribution with a 2.4 Kernel. When I
    boot up, my keyboard and mouse become disabled as soon as the log in
    manager displays.

    Can you tell me how to stop x-windows from starting during the boot
    process so that I can try and find the cause of the issue. I cannot
    disable x windows from the command line because I can never get in.

    If you have any clues as to what might be causing my keyboard to disable
    in the first place, I would be very grateful to hear them.

    Many Thanks
    Sarah

    --
    Sarah Forbes
    Web Programmer

    Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If you are not the addressee indicated in the message, (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to internet emails of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of this organisation shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. We Believe, But do not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments, are virus free. You should take full responsibility for virus checking

    Sarah Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Prevent X Windows Starting up

    On Tuesday 26 August 2003 14:58, Sarah Forbes wrote:

    This sort of thing is one of the reasons I always use a text login. IIRC,
    what I did to prevent X starting was the brute-force method of unlinking all
    the kdm, gdm, xdm links in /etc/rc2.d. That should do it, if no more elegant
    approach is suggested.

    That'll need someone more expert than me...

    HTH

    --
    richard

    Richard Guest

  3. #3

    use the update-rc.d command, to stop the display managers from starting,
    i used the following command:
    # update-rc.d -f ?dm remove stop 1 2 3 4 5 6
    where the question mark is g, k, or x depending on which is starting at
    boot.

    use the install disk and go into rescue mode.

    Chris Black wrote:
     [/ref]

    --
    lemuel

    captain Guest

  4. #4

    Sarah Forbes wrote:

    I assume you're using lilo (as opposed to grub or some other boot
    loader). At the "boot:" prompt, enter "linux single"; this should boot
    you into single-user mode, where you can then disable your gui login
    (several ways; I'd just throw "exit 0" into the first line of the
    appropriate script - "/etc/init.d/gdm" (or kdm or xdm or wdm)).

    First guess is that X has been configured with the wrong keyboard
    settings. If the keyboard works outside of X, try "dpkg-reconfigure
    xserver-xfree86"; I believe that'll allow you to reconfigure your
    keyboard settings.

    --
    Kent West (edu)

    Kent Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:58:46 +0100,
    "Sarah Forbes" <com> wrote in message
    <com>:

    ...generally, boot like: 'linux 1' or 'linux single',
    'linux rescue' or somesuch, where "linux" is the boot
    stanza title and the "1" is the runlevel, play around.

    ...myself, I like console acreage, so I append stuff like
    'vga=788' to 'vga=799', and 'vga=ask' when in doubt. ;-)

    --
    ...med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt... ;-)
    ....with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...

    Arnt Guest

  6. #6

    "captain kierkegaard" <mine.nu> writes:

    This is a bad idea; the next time the display manager package gets
    updated (say, for a security fix), update-rc.d will see a lack of
    symlinks for the service and conclude that it's never been installed,
    and handily start it for you. The /etc/rc?.d symlinks are definitely
    user-configurable; removing the appropriate start symlinks from
    /etc/rc2.d, etc. is a better idea. Or, if you don't want to use a
    display manager at all, just remove the package.

    (And since nobody else has suggested it, it might be possible to get
    into the machine remotely, too, maybe with ssh. A serial console is
    useful for this sort of problem too, but requires some advance setup,
    and the world contains comparatively few dumb terminals these days. :-)

    --
    David Maze org http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/
    "Theoretical politics is interesting. Politicking should be illegal."

    David Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: HP 712/60 questions

    On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:00:01AM -0400, Larry Crouch wrote:

    The idea of instaling Linux on a PC and then using that to netboot the
    HP computers is sound. However I don't recommend crosscompiling linux
    unless you have lots of experience with Unix/Linux. I've installed
    Debian on a sparc system by booting off the network using a precompiled
    boot image I got from the debian ftp server. I recommend that you find
    such a precompiled image for the architecture you wish to install on.

    This process is described in the installation manual for the hppa
    architecture.

    Hope this helps,
    Bijan
    --
    Bijan Soleymani <com>
    http://www.crasseux.com

    Bijan Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 01:58:46PM +0100, Sarah Forbes wrote:

    There is a very simple way to do this. Simply hold control-C towards the
    end of the bootup sequence (before the display manager comes up) it will
    kill the last few bootup tasks as they are coming up.

    The next easiest way is to ssh into that box from another computer and
    disable gdm from starting up on the next boot. This would require sshd
    to be running already.

    The "least" easy way (still not that hard) is to use a boot disk to boot
    into single user mode.

    Bijan
    --
    Bijan Soleymani <com>
    http://www.crasseux.com

    Bijan Guest

  9. #9

    On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:46:02AM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:

    A palm-pilot with a serial cradle and a terminal program can be used as
    an emergency console.

    dt

    --
    Dave Thayer | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
    Denver, Colorado USA | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all

    Dave Guest