Professional Web Applications Themes

Preventing users from sharing accounts - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

I have completed a site using Coldfusion. When a user buys a subscription to the site, the license is for that person on the computer he purchased the subscription on. I do not want people sharing passwords. I have implemented a few different authentication methods including an activeX controller that puts a unique ID on the person computer, but this solution seems very bersome. If possible I would like a solution that is less bersome and works in the majority of cases. If activeX is the only way to go, then I will do that. I?m sure some of you ...

  1. #1

    Default Preventing users from sharing accounts

    I have completed a site using Coldfusion. When a user buys a subscription to
    the site, the license is for that person on the computer he purchased the
    subscription on. I do not want people sharing passwords. I have implemented a
    few different authentication methods including an activeX controller that puts
    a unique ID on the person computer, but this solution seems very bersome. If
    possible I would like a solution that is less bersome and works in the
    majority of cases. If activeX is the only way to go, then I will do that. I?m
    sure some of you have faced this type of problem before and this is probably a
    common problem. I?m just looking for a good solution that works in the majority
    of cases and does not make it too difficult for the user. Possibly something
    that uniquely identifies the user that is not temporary like cookies.

    jimMiller2 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Preventing users from sharing accounts

    You could set a cookie when the person subscribes, but if they subsequently
    delete cookies and attempt to log in, you can't be assured he is on the same
    computer. You could save the CGI.HTTP_REFERER variable when the person
    subscribes and check it when the user resubscribes, but HTTP_REFERER is not
    passed when the user access the page from a bookmark or types the URL into the
    address box.

    I've seen references to HTTP_CLIENT_IP which appears to be what you would
    want, but I have not seen it returned as a CGI variable in ColdFusion
    applications.

    And then this, found at an obscure board when I Googled "find the client's IP":
    "The System.Net.Sockets.Socket class has the RemoteEndPoint property, which
    you must cast to IPEndPoint to get the IP address and port."

    Maybe someone can decypher this.

    jdeline Guest

  3. #3

    jimMiller2 wrote:

    You could save and later compare several pieces of info:
    - cookie
    - his ip: CGI.HTTP_REMOTE_ADDR or if he's behind a proxy and the proxy
    gives away his identity: CGI.HTTP_VIA.
    - browser CGI.HTTP_USER_AGENT

    --
    <mack />

    Neculai Guest

  4. #4

    But you can't be guaranteed they're accessing the site from the same IP. What if they have a laptop, or are on dialup, or have a cable modem that doesn't give them a static IP?
    Kronin555 Guest

  5. #5

    Kronin555 wrote:

    Allow logins from a single IP at one time: Keep a list of logged in users
    and their IP's. Don't allow a request to proceed if the IP from which the
    request is coming is different from the stored one. If he tries to login
    from another IP log out the previous user. This will prevent an account to
    be used by 2 people at the same time and will make password sharing a pain
    for the one who shares it.

    --
    <mack />

    Neculai Guest