Professional Web Applications Themes

Preview halftones/overprints on black - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am creating shirt designs that will be screenprinted. On white shirts I select the pms color, then adjust the fill in the color palette to create halftones. But when it's on a black shirt I have been adjusting the transparency, which I do not think is the right way to do it... What is the correct way? And also when creating overprints, it picks up the black background as an ink color, and they don't show up at all. How do I get this to work right with black bg? Illustrator CS...

  1. #1

    Default Preview halftones/overprints on black

    Tiffany_Larson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Preview halftones/overprints on black

    Tiffany,

    There really isn't a simple way to preview this kind of work in AI.

    Overprint preview assumes the inks are translucent, like offet printing inks, not opaque like silkscreen inks.

    An overprinting fill gradient between a spot color and a tint of that same spot color will separate correctly, but will not display correctly; the tint end will display on screen as if it is white, knocking out the dark color underneath if viewed in normal preview mode; and will disappear altogether if viewed in Overprint Preview mode.

    You can get such a grad to print and display correctly if you use a transparency mask instead of a grad to create the tonal ramp, but this is often too bersome for practicality.

    This is why I usually prefer to build such designs in Photoshop using Spot color channels. Photoshop can preview such images correctly when viewed as composite, and each spot channel displays correctly when viewed individually, with black being the ink, white being no ink, and grays being tints.

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I am working in vector so I am very hesitant to switch to photoshop. Will it print correctly if I just adjust the transparency of the object?
    Tiffany_Larson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Will it print correctly if I just adjust the transparency of the object?

    Depends upon specifics in the artwork, but probably not. Print some test seps to your laser printer or to a color-separated PDF to see. (Always carefully test such projects).

    Garment silkscreen isn't a high-res medium. You can draw your objects as vector, paste them into Photoshop into Spot color channels.

    But all the above is certainly not to say you can't do such designs in AI. It's just not as intuitive, because of the difficulty in getting the image on screen to te what it will look like if printed on a dark substrate with opaque inks. As long as you keep straight in your head what is going on, you can just set the overprints as appropriate to the desired results. The emphasis in your original question was on making it look like what you'll get, as you work. That's easier to do in Photoshop.