Professional Web Applications Themes

Previously good install will no longer boot - Grub/Multi system - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Folks I am relatively new to Linux, but have managed to get a solid Redhat 9 install going with new NVidia card & ethernet support installed & running fine. I am however unable to boot Linux after a hard reset of the system, which appears to have scrambled either the Linux boot sector, or more likely, the grub files I use to boot. I run a multi-boot system with Win XP, 98 and Linux, with linux installed on a logical partition, HDA6 to linux (hda6 partition of the one physical hdd on the system). I am keen to restore the ...

  1. #1

    Default Previously good install will no longer boot - Grub/Multi system

    Folks

    I am relatively new to Linux, but have managed to get a solid Redhat 9
    install going with new NVidia card & ethernet support installed & running
    fine. I am however unable to boot Linux after a hard reset of the system,
    which appears to have scrambled either the Linux boot sector, or more
    likely, the grub files I use to boot.

    I run a multi-boot system with Win XP, 98 and Linux, with linux installed on
    a logical partition, HDA6 to linux (hda6 partition of the one physical hdd
    on the system).

    I am keen to restore the boot secor and the relevant grub files without
    losing my install, and without ing with my main DOS MBR.

    I would appreciate any thoughts on how I might, do this, presumably by
    booting from the Linux Redhat CDROM, going to rescue mode, & editing
    relevant grub files.

    Particularly - what designation should I give to hda6 on the one hdd
    installed?

    Thanks
    CB

    Captain Guest

  2. #2

    "Captain Birdseye" <com> wrote in message news:<netspeed.com.au>...
    initial trick is to determine just which files may need "fixing" --
    they might be in MS!

    To best help you, we will need more info.
    -- before problems, how did your system power up? what did you see?
    -- what is the order of OSes on disk? (win98->XP->RH9?)
    -- how did you make room for RH partition?
    -- do you use XP's multi-boot loader or RH's grub? (sounds like grub)
    -- if using grub, does it boot directly to w98 and XP, or to XP
    multi-boot menu?
    -- is RH the only OS affected?
    -- can you boot Linux from your cd and gain access to your RH
    installatiion? (rescue - see below)
    -- do you have a boot diskette? (see below)
    -- do you know the partition layout of the hd, ie., which OS using
    which partition(s)?
    -- is RH using _only_ hda6? (not a useful/good way to install Linux,
    but is do-able)
    -- assuming you're doing (did) hard reset only from Win (should be a
    last ditch effort in any case) - why?
    -- have you used _any_ MS disk maintenance utilities/commands?

    Some of these questions just for clarification, but all would be most
    useful.

    If you don't have handy the RH docs, download them here:
    https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/
    x86 Installation Guide (see Appendix D)
    Customization Guide (see Ch. 9)
    These can be viewed on-line if needed.

    If you get a RH grub menu at power-up, then your grub.conf file is
    probably ok. What, if any, error messages do you see? What DO you
    see at boot up?

    If you need a bootdisk.img file for a diskette try here:
    http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/images/

    In rescue mode, the boot image will try to mount your hd installation
    at /mnt/sysimage (hopefully in RW mode). Once there you can poke
    around your system if you're comfortable with the command line.
    Highly recommend that you get an idea of what to expect in rescue mode
    -- it's not that difficult, but makes following someone else's
    instructions easier.

    Send us the info above and review the docs. Solution should follow.
    Be patient!

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled
    P Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the reply. Comments/replies in caps below.

    CB

    "P Gentry" <com> wrote in message
    news:<netspeed.com.au>... [/ref]
    running [/ref]
    system, [/ref]
    installed on [/ref]
    hdd
    > initial trick is to determine just which files may need "fixing" --
    > they might be in MS!

    > To best help you, we will need more info.
    > -- before problems, how did your system power up? what did you see?[/ref]

    LINUX & GRUB ARE INSTALLED ON HDA6. AT BOOT, THE PC GOES TO THE DOS MBR,
    WHERE I HAVE POWERQUEST BOORMAGIC INSTALLED. LINUX IS SET AS OPTION 3 IN
    BOOTMAGIC, WHICH POINT TO THE HDA6 LOGICAL PARTITION WHERE GRUB & LINUX BOOT
    INFO IS STORED.

    WIN98 IS IN THE 1ST PRIMARY PARTITION(FAT32), WINXP (NTFS) IN THE SECOND
    (WIN98 IS USUALLY HIDDEN TO ALLOW DEFAULT BOOT TO WINXP). LINUX SWAP DRIVE
    IS ON THE FIRST LOGICAL PARTITION, LINUX ITSELF IS ON THE SECOND LOGICAL
    DRIVE (EXT2).

    FINE TO NOW.

    ABOVE - BOOTMAGIC IS AT THE MAIN MBR. GRUB LOADS FROM THE LINUX HDA6 DRIVE.

    TO LOOK FOR & EDIT/REINSTALL IF REQUIRED.

    CDROM.

    INSTALL. I INTEND TO INSTALL ON A SEPERATE OLD MACHINE CURRENTLY IN PIECES
    ON MY FLOOR, ONCE I HAVE GOTTEN MORE USED TO LINUX.

    AT THIS POINT, POSSIBLY A CONFIG ISSUE I HAVE YET TO IRON OUT. IT MAY BE A
    TAD DIFFICULT IF i CAN'T REBOOT ;)

    THANKS, WILL HAVE A FURTHER LOOK AT THESE.

    BOOT UP INTO WIN98 & XP WORKS FINE FROM BOOTMAGIC. WHEN I BOOT TO LINUX, I
    SEE THE WORD "GRUB" ON THE SCREEN ALONG WITH THAT EVER SO PATIENTLY FLASHING
    CURSOR. THIS IS AS FAR AS IT GETS.

    I AM ABLE TO BOOT TO THIS POINT. AS MENTIONED, THIS IS WHERE MY KNOWLEDGE
    STOPS.

    Captain Guest

  4. #4

    "Captain Birdseye" <com> wrote in message news:<3fff8c79$netspeed.com.au>...
    > news:<netspeed.com.au>... [/ref]
    > running [/ref]
    > system, [/ref]
    > installed on [/ref]
    > hdd
    > > initial trick is to determine just which files may need "fixing" --
    > > they might be in MS!
    > >

    > > To best help you, we will need more info.
    > > -- before problems, how did your system power up? what did you see?[/ref]
    >
    > LINUX & GRUB ARE INSTALLED ON HDA6. AT BOOT, THE PC GOES TO THE DOS MBR,
    > WHERE I HAVE POWERQUEST BOORMAGIC INSTALLED. LINUX IS SET AS OPTION 3 IN
    > BOOTMAGIC, WHICH POINT TO THE HDA6 LOGICAL PARTITION WHERE GRUB & LINUX BOOT
    > INFO IS STORED.

    > WIN98 IS IN THE 1ST PRIMARY PARTITION(FAT32), WINXP (NTFS) IN THE SECOND
    > (WIN98 IS USUALLY HIDDEN TO ALLOW DEFAULT BOOT TO WINXP). LINUX SWAP DRIVE
    > IS ON THE FIRST LOGICAL PARTITION, LINUX ITSELF IS ON THE SECOND LOGICAL
    > DRIVE (EXT2).

    > FINE TO NOW.

    > ABOVE - BOOTMAGIC IS AT THE MAIN MBR. GRUB LOADS FROM THE LINUX HDA6 DRIVE.

    > TO LOOK FOR & EDIT/REINSTALL IF REQUIRED.

    > CDROM.

    > INSTALL. I INTEND TO INSTALL ON A SEPERATE OLD MACHINE CURRENTLY IN PIECES
    > ON MY FLOOR, ONCE I HAVE GOTTEN MORE USED TO LINUX.

    > AT THIS POINT, POSSIBLY A CONFIG ISSUE I HAVE YET TO IRON OUT. IT MAY BE A
    > TAD DIFFICULT IF i CAN'T REBOOT ;)

    > THANKS, WILL HAVE A FURTHER LOOK AT THESE.

    > BOOT UP INTO WIN98 & XP WORKS FINE FROM BOOTMAGIC. WHEN I BOOT TO LINUX, I
    > SEE THE WORD "GRUB" ON THE SCREEN ALONG WITH THAT EVER SO PATIENTLY FLASHING
    > CURSOR. THIS IS AS FAR AS IT GETS.
    >[/ref]

    This is a good sign, I think. Seems BM is jumping properly to the
    grub loader located in sector 1 of hda6. Grub just can't find its
    grub.conf file to show the menu. See below for how to proceed.

    > I AM ABLE TO BOOT TO THIS POINT. AS MENTIONED, THIS IS WHERE MY KNOWLEDGE
    > STOPS.
    > [/ref]

    Major side tracking -- sorry to respond late.

    Do you see this prompt?
    grub>

    If so, that's the grub mini-OS prompt you get when
    /boot/grub/grub.conf is unavailable. It would be a good sign.

    In rescue mode (assume you've reviewed docs) you will need to run this
    command:
    [root]# /sbin/e2fsck -p /dev/hda6

    This will check/correct any filesystem errors caused by the hard
    reset. This may take a while (several minutes). That may be why
    grub.conf is unavailable.

    After it runs, try this:
    [root]# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

    If it comes up clean (ie., fully readable) I would shutdown and
    re-boot:
    [root]# /sbin/shutdown -F -r -t now
    -F forces fschk to run (optional, but won't hurt)
    -r does a reboot
    -t now starts the process _now_

    If this does not restore the filesystem, I would re-install as the
    further remedies can get to be too much as you chase them all down.
    The only further thing I would advise is to re-install grub. It's not
    bad once you're more familiar with Linux, but for a newbie, I suggest
    getting a system up to have something to learn with. This, of course,
    assumes you have no important data on the Linux system.

    BTW, many people are offended at SHOUTING, especially as a
    formating/eye catching scheme. I am pretty tolerant, but it _is_
    distracting.

    hth
    prg
    email above disabled