Professional Web Applications Themes

Primary Scratch & Windows Primary Paging file? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Okay, I accidentally uninstalled Adobe Photoshop the other day. So I re-installed it and now when I click on the Photoshop Icon and it starts to load, half-way through I get a message saying.. "You currently have Adobe Photoshop's primary Scratch & Windows primary paging file on the same volume, wich can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop's primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive." It only gives me the option to press OK so I do and it loads the rest of the way. Then ...

  1. #1

    Default Primary Scratch & Windows Primary Paging file?

    Okay, I accidentally uninstalled Adobe Photoshop the other day. So I re-installed it and now when I click on the Photoshop Icon and it starts to load, half-way through I get a message saying.. "You currently have Adobe Photoshop's primary Scratch & Windows primary paging file on the same volume, wich can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop's primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive." It only gives me the option to press OK so I do and it loads the rest of the way. Then it will automatically close's. Does anyone understand the information? If you do I would love it if you could help me. If it helps any, I was just hit the other day with the Blaster Worm on Windows 2000 and I keep getting a popup window saying that svchost.exe has a error and needs to close. Thank you.
    Tommy Oberst Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Primary Scratch & Windows Primary Paging file?

    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/12dde.htm>
    that's for scratch disc.
    To set the paging file go to: my computer/advanced/performance options/applications..change. Set the paging file so that it is on a seperate drive from the operating system.
    DOMTEK Guest

  3. #3

    also check this out:

    <http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html>
    dave milbut Guest

  4. #4

    Okay, I have no clue how to fix the svchost problem.. I've tried and my brother has even tried to help. I have no clue what caused it.. And what is the os?
    Tommy Oberst Guest

  5. #5

    The svchost problem is the Blaster worm - your machine is infected and needs to be fixed.

    Dave posted a link to the Symantec web site which gives some information to try to remove the virus.

    If this is not succesful, you will probably have to re-install the operating system (OS), that is, Windows itself.

    cheers
    Klaas
    Klaas Visser Guest

  6. #6

    Oh... Okay, Thank you Klaas :)
    Tommy Oberst Guest

  7. #7

    Tommy,

    I've had Blaster - 2 steps are needed.

    1. Get rid of the worm, all the AV sites will help.

    2. Svchost will still fail, you MUST apply the patch from the MS site. This will stop the svchost.exe failure and all will be back to normal. The patch will also prevent another infection.

    Hope you can get into the MS site today...

    Best wishes,

    David
    David Lingard Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks you guys. I really appreciate all the help that your giving me. Although, where do I put the paging file if I only have 1 drive? And I can get the Patch from the Microsoft web page right?
    Tommy Oberst Guest

  9. #9

    the paging file will be on the c:\ drive if that's all you have... once you're running again get go into photoshop edit> prefrences> plugins and scratch disks and change the scratch disk location from Startup to C:\. That'll make the message go away.

    You can get the patch from windows update, but I've heard reports that on win2k it's not solving the scvhost problem and a full os reinstall is needed to get it all working again.

    good luck, dave
    dave milbut Guest

  10. #10

    First time posting a link w.the new sw... here goes:

    Mathias Vejerslev, "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" #, 1 Nov 2001 2:58 am </cgi-bin/webx?50.ef4a07f>

    dave
    dave milbut Guest

  11. #11

    Thank you sooooo much Dave. I finally got Photoshop to work. Thanks to everyone that helped me out. :D

    -Tommy

    PS. Anyone know of some good tutorial sites for Photoshop and ImageReady? I'd really like to know how do expand my abilitys with the program.

    Thanks again you guys!!! :goofy:
    Tommy Oberst Guest

  12. #12

    start w/ google.

    search for tutorial with this format:

    "photoshop tutorial something"

    replace "something" with something you're interested in learning, for example: photoshop tutorial pen tool

    dave
    dave milbut Guest

  13. #13

    you're welcome. and don't forget you can come back here if you run into something you're not sure of or you want more info on.

    dave
    dave milbut Guest

  14. #14

    Hey there! I also have this paging file problem. I used the instructions that say to set paging file go to my computer/advanced/performance options/applications..change. But when I go to "my computer" after that I do not see an option for advanced so I'm stuck there? Can someone tell me what I am missing?
    Thanks very much!!
    Unregistered Guest

  15. #15

    hi bro i too ve the same problem from last week
    can you help me out solving the problem im using windows xp professional , 80 gb hard disk and 250mb ram after loading the initial brushes and fonts the main window disappears
    Unregistered Guest