Professional Web Applications Themes

print centering problem with Epson 2200 - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I typed a long answer to this and then realized that the question is really unclear. Give us more information. How can there be "hidden" white space? One presumes you are using 8.5 x 11 paper - is that true? What is the size of your image? Unless your image is 8.5" wide, there will be white space. The way to make it the same amount on both sides is to click "Center Image". But check this first: File|Print with Preview: Page Setup button. Look at the grayed out margins. Are they all the same? If they are, Center Image ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: print centering problem with Epson 2200

    I typed a long answer to this and then realized that the question is really unclear.

    Give us more information. How can there be "hidden" white space? One presumes you are using 8.5 x 11 paper - is that true? What is the size of your image?

    Unless your image is 8.5" wide, there will be white space. The way to make it the same amount on both sides is to click "Center Image".

    But check this first: File|Print with Preview: Page Setup button. Look at the grayed out margins. Are they all the same? If they are, Center Image will center it; if not, you need to define your print params (edge to edge?) from the Printer->Properites within the Page Setup dialog.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest

  2. #2

    Are you sure "Borderless" is checked in the Paper tab when you go into the Printer -> Properties dialog box? I found that if you don't have this checked, the Print Preview won't show the borders, but it will sure print them.
    BillJ Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry for confusing problem description. The problem is simple. No matter what I try I always get a smaller left-hand border than right. I've tried the suggestion below, "selecting borderless"
    and checking the "center image" box. And yes, the grayed out margins all look equal. So what you see is NOT what you get.

    Regardless of whether I select borderless or not I get the same non-centered result.

    I even created a new Photoshop image 6 in high x 8 in wide with nothing in it. I selected print border so I could see where it put the white rectangle. As always, I got the white rectangle with a black border shifted to the left. There is one other downside to delecting borderless...it prevents you from printing a draft copy to view the placement, because borderless requires only high quality paper...so the printing is slow.
    dkindler Guest

  4. #4

    This may sound like a really stupid thing, but it's got the potential "oh duh" factor. Are the paper guides for your printer set all the way to the proper side? One of my epson printers lets me feed paper away from the printing edge.
    Eric Purkalitis Guest

  5. #5

    PRINTING BORDERLESS IS STILL SIZE SPECIFIC. THE SIZE OF THE PAPER MAY BE YOUR PROBLEM. ON ANOTHER NOTE: WHEN YOU SELECT PRINT WITH PREVIEW YOU CAN UNLOCK THE IMAGE AND POSITION IT ANYWHERE ON THE PAGE YOU WISH SIMPLY BY CLICK AND DRAG. IT MIGHT HELP
    Dennis Palin Guest

  6. #6

    Capslock key is located to the left of the keyboard.
    Eric Purkalitis Guest

  7. #7

    That was funny Eric.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  8. #8

    I have never been able to print centered OR properly print a full (with a half inch margin) size print from Photoshop. No suggestion given here has worked. This was with an Epson 600, 1270, and the current 2200. I have tried all suggestions given here and can only get proper centered prints with Hamrick's VuePrint.

    The error message has always been telling me that the picture is too big for the paper size and cropping does occur.

    It is interesting that the same picture comes out nicely centered with nothing cut off with VuePrint and is a different size and has chopped off pieces with Photoshop. This is with the same file with no resizing or resampling.

    Not much help on getting you centered, but just what has been going on here.

    Try downloading the trial VuePrint and try one of the problem pictures with it.

    You may have to create a "print filter pack" and accept that what you see on the screen is corrected for output rather than screen view, but looking at an "off" picture on the screen is far better than looking at an off print. Just save the filter pack and apply it to the picture before printing.

    I normally save the file twice. (Picture PS.TIF & PicturePrint.TIF)

    I know the general rule. "Trash preferences and re-run Adobe Gamma." But having done this several times without any luck, a print filter pack works better for me.

    That said, and before I get yelled at for saying that, I need to say that the pictures do NOT go out to be printed. They only have to properly print on MY printer. It is NOT ideal to have a "print filter pack", but it does work.

    Bill
    Bill Lamp Guest

  9. #9

    Well, I have a 1280 and print centered all day long, so... something's amiss.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  10. #10

    I was just on the dpreview.com. They have always have a lively 2200 discussion. There's talk about how some epson and hp printers overspray the image with some options. Here's the link <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=5111868>.
    Eric Purkalitis Guest

  11. #11

    Great link Eric. Thanks.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  12. #12

    Success with Print Centering on Epson 2200. Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Between your ideas and 5 exchanges with the Epson tech support I finally have prints centered. Here are detailed instructions which may be helpful to other Epson 2200 and PS7 users:

    Steps to successfully center a print from PS7 with an Epson 2200 printer:

    In PS7:

    1) Match the canvas size and image size (I literally choose a 6 in x 8 in image size, then changed the canvas to 6.03 x 8.03 with a blank image so I could print just a thin black border for test purposes)

    2) Select "print with preview"

    3) Check the "center image" box

    4) Set the scaled print size to 97%

    5) Select PRINT and select the Epson 2200 printer (if you have more than one printer).

    Now the Epson 2000 settings:

    6) Select "properties"

    7) On the "Main" tab select the proper paper size, check "BORDERLESS", and select paper type. You must select a photo paper for "borderless" to be selectable.

    8) I would recommend checking "print preview" so you'll have one last look before printing...this print preview actually shows what you'll print (as opposed the preview window in PS7, which doesn't work properly...at least not with my printers)

    9) You may want to click on the advanced tab, which offers the choice of 1440 or 2880 dpi printing.

    10) Press "OK" and you print a centered image (by the way, my HP Officejet text printer cannot print a centered image from PS7 unless I manually set borders).

    ----------------

    Of course instead of all this complication, you can always use "trial and error"...at least you can select draft mode and print very fast images just to check location of the print. Use the manual margin settings and change until the print is in the right spot. The border sizes will not match what gets printed...a bit tedious to center a print, but it's the "brute force"
    approach.

    -------------

    Maybe a Photoshop expert can explain why "WYSIWYG" has been abandoned by Adobe...and they invented it, didn't they?

    Thanks for all the help,

    David
    dkindler Guest

  13. #13

    I don't think its an Adobe problem, it's Epson. The print driver is basically saying OK I'm going to tell windows I'm printing this size, but I'm actually going to print another.
    Eric Purkalitis Guest

  14. #14

    <nodding>
    YrbkMgr Guest

  15. #15

    I've had similar centering problems with my Epson 780. Of course, I'm not trying to print borderless, but I always get unequal left/right borders. After struggling with it for awhile, I said to Hell with it, and if I really NEED equal borders, I trim the damn thing with scissors. Most of the time it doesn't matter and I just ignore it.
    I realize that is against all rules of geekdom, but sometimes life is to short to fight the good fight....
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  16. #16

    Last sentence in previous post should read:

    I realize that this is against all rules of geekdom, but sometimes life is too short to fight the good fight...

    Give me back my Edit!!!!!
    Bert Bigelow Guest