Professional Web Applications Themes

Print Error: The doent could not be printed - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I've encountered the same problem. The PDF prints on other machines in my group but my machine gives me the "doent cannot be printed" error. Alternatively, it will also generate the error "A drawing error has occurred." We have recently upgraded to CS3 but I believe we were using Acrobat 8 even when we were still on CS2. Our current OS is 10.4.11 and we're using Acrobat 8.1.2....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Print Error: The doent could not be printed

    Allan_Eldridge@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I have also experienced this problem. It seems to be random PDF files in my case with no pattern that I can see. Very frustrating. I have found though, if you go on the administrator user and print the same file, then go into the user you usually work in it prints fine then - that is if your machine is built with multiple users. I am not sure in my case if it is a crazy permissions problem or what. I am running 10.4.11 and Acrobat 8.1.2. But the problem slowly creeps back. Not a permanent solution.
    Tammy_Evink@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Likewise to Tammy, I've had random PDF files, created from InDesign CS3, that come up with the same ERROR message when trying to print from Acrobat 8.1.2 Pro. Our current OS is 10.5.4. I export pdf files out of InDesign on a daily basis, with no real changes in the setup, yet some files will have this problem. It's infuriating to not know the cause.

    I've checked all the forums (and Google) about this ERROR message, but none offer a solution or reason why some PDF have problems and others don't.

    The only workaround is that the doent CAN print out of Acrobat Reader 9.0 as well as Apple's Preview, so it seems to only be an Acrobat 8 Pro problem.
    Janis_K_Sturdevant@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    FYI: I was able to fix the problem by allowing everyone full access to the end user's Library/Adobe folder.
    Allan_Eldridge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I found the problem on my system. I have a server and networked users. I set up a symlink where the user's cache directory at ~/Library/Caches was replaced with a symlink to /Library/Caches/<username>. Unfortunately, on the machine I was using the directory /Library/Caches/<username> didn't exist. When the Caches folder was fixed Acrobat was again working.

    The general problem with the error message that Acrobat displays is that it gives no clue on what is wrong. Looking at the errors listed on this thread it is clear that any number of permissions problems leads to the same error.

    I myself had looked at the Console log to see if there were any clues. Adobe doesn't even report the errors there. This is not a good way to win friends and influence people.

    The conclusion is that with this error Acrobat found it couldn't make some file somewhere, it could be one of many places, and Acrobat doesn't tell you where it was trying to make a file when it ran into problems.
    Stephen_Holland@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I got the same problem a couple of months ago on one file, and it happened again today. The PDFs are created from InDesign CS3 and printed with Acrobat 8.1.1 Pro on HP LaserJet 9000. I have Mac OS 10.4.11 installed.

    The weird thing is that I found that both times it happened, I hadn't yet activated the Enable for Commenting and ysis in Adobe Reader function. I got the error, then activated the function, tried printing again and it worked.

    It's kinda like as if Acrobat was telling me I had forgot something.
    But I very much doubt it's that smart.

    The problem seems to be only on my computer. We all have the same machines (well at least 3 of us), same OS and version of the applications.

    It would be nice if Acrobat could be a little more specific about why it can't print...
    Amelie Levasseur Guest

  7. #7

    I too had this problem. I was able to resolve this using PDF Xchange Viewer.
    Unregistered Guest