Professional Web Applications Themes

Print preview -- Hide bleed area - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I'm working with a doent that has objects extending pretty far out into the bleed area. Every so often, I save as a PDF file so that I can see what the file looks like as it would be printed (i.e. after the bleed area is trimmed off). However, I was wondering if there is a feature in Illustrator that would allow me to preview the final project as it would look without the bleed area on the fly without having to export to a PDF file?...

  1. #1

    Default Print preview -- Hide bleed area

    Brad_Buran@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Print preview -- Hide bleed area

    Draw a shape the size of your finished project, (e.g. a rectangle) and place it in the correct position (also make sure its the front most object) > select all > object-clipping mask-make.

    Or,

    if you work with your artboard as the finished project size then - Object-Crop Area-Make and then Object-Crop Area-Release > Select all > and then apply the clipping mask. You could even make an Action for all this so the process would only take about 3 seconds.

    There are other ways too, but i would say these will suit you just fine.
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    A nice feature in InDesign that Illustrator doesn't have. Sigh. Well, after all, it's an illustration program, not a page layout program. Please ignore the text palette and the ability to place in rasters. Anyone caught doing page layout in Illustrator will be asked to leave.
    Rob_Hecker.@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Dean, when suggesting the clipping mask route based on an Object Clipping mask as a workaround, don't you think that dragging all existing main layers onto another main layer in the Layers Palette (thus converting them to sub layers), then draw a rectangle on the remaining main layer followed by creating a Layer Clipping mask out of it wouldn't be a bit more elegant because no layer would be destroyed resp. merged when doing so?
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Kurt and Dean,

    Thank you for the suggestion. I've tried Dean's method, and was able to create the clipping mask successfully. But, I don't really understand the method Kurt suggested. When I try to make a new main layer containing all design objects, then put a clipping mask around the original layer, Illustrator says it cannot do that because no objects are selected. Am I doing somethign wrong?

    Rob,

    I do have InDesign on my computer, but have never used it before. Are you saying that InDesign is more appropriate for making flyers and other print publications, while Illustrator is more appropriate for designing objects (such as logos, etc.)?

    Thanks all!
    Brad
    Brad_Buran@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Brad,

    Yes, as a rule, as a page layout program, InDesign is much better than Illustrator for designing pages and preparing them for print. It manages text, columns, text wrap, and placed raster objects better. And it plays very nicely with Illustrator, so you can cut and paste Illustrator objects with ease, and even retain some vector editing ability.
    Rob_Hecker.@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Kurt, if Brad is using several layers, then of course your suggestion is more elegant - as you put it. But when Brad says preview, I guess its only to take a look and then ctrl + Z a couples times and he's back without any mask.
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    You could always make a layer on top with some big white boxes covering up the bleed, and turn it on and off as you see fit (remembering to turn it off or get rid of it before you send your file to be printed).
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest