Professional Web Applications Themes

Print Quality - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I am printing from OS X to an Epson 960 in photoquality mode. I get a message that postscript enhancement will be ignored since this is not a Postscript printer. Not happy with the print quality, I printed the same using iPhoto, with greatly superior results. What went wrong?...

  1. #1

    Default Print quality

    I am printing from OS X to an Epson 960 in photoquality mode. I get a message that postscript enhancement will be ignored since this is not a Postscript printer.

    Not happy with the print quality, I printed the same using iPhoto, with greatly superior results. What went wrong?
    Peter A Kessler Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Print quality

    Peter, please say more about what's wrong with your print quality...is it
    highly pixellated, off color, etc.?

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  3. #3

    I'm not familiar with the Mac OS, Peter, but you should be printing from the "Print Preview" Dialogue, where you can setup color management options, and the output profile space. I suspect that's what's wrong. Check out Ian Lyons' tutorial on printing from Photoshop 7 ( same as Elements) , and see if something clicks.

    <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac.htm>

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, and the postscript enhancement message will always come up in PE whenever you print to any inkjet (unless you're lucky enough to have one of the few that have postscript) in X. Just turn it off.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  5. #5

    I am an Illustrator used to Photoshop and Illustrator. I need to print out 40 sheets back to back to simulate a book. Using Epson 1290 inkjet, In Design seems the best Program to use. Only the print quality and colour is awful. I have tried all the different Color Management variations I can find but I still get bad results. I am sending, "All," the information to the printer. Tried with embedded profiles and without. The reds and yellows are far too red and the cyan is pale and insipid, plus printing from In Design produces vertical 'banding',' which does not happen in Photoshop or Illustrator.
    ZZizzibuzz@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    You should be getting the same quality if you have the correct setting. You probably forgot to check the "printer" (or is it "setup"?) button at the bottom of the print dialogue that takes you to the printer specific settings.
    Bjorn_Ost@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    What versions of Adobe products are you using? If it's CS or CS2, did you purchase the entire Creative Suite, or individual products?
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Are you working from a calibrated monitor screen?
    Mike Witherell Guest

  9. #9

    You may be getting double color management. Dig into your print driver settings (click the Printer button at the bottom of the Print dialog and select Color Management from the menu that now says Copies & Pages). On my Epson C88, I choose Color Management > Off (No Color Adjustment)
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for replies. I am using entire Creative Suite 2. I have calibrated the screen to the best of my ability; it is not calibrated using one of those devices you actually stick on to the screen. Printing with the Printer's Color Management off does change things; the cyans that were pale go very dark and the reds and yellows go paler and less saturated. The banding is still there. Printing from Photoshop, Illustrator, Word, Freehand, Expression, I get similar and useable prints; I still fail to get a useable print when printing from In Design. Those other Programs do not take over the print management as much as In Design wishes to, there seems no way to disable In Design from taking over Color Handling, I wonder what happens if I tick, 'Preserve RGB Numbers?"
    Well I have ticked that box and I have allowed the Printer's Color Management, and I have got a decent print - somehow.
    ZZizzibuzz@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    read the link <http://www.gballard.net/psd.html>

    It will help you set up your color management for Photoshop.

    the settings for ID are identical.

    what you describe is wrong and you will not have consistent color
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest