Professional Web Applications Themes

Print Selected Areas - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi. I have a question about 'printing selected area'. This option appears in the print preview dialog box, but it is grayed out. I tried selecting an area in my image, then I went into print preview, but the check box 'print selected areas' remains grayed out. Anybody know how to print selected areas only?...

  1. #1

    Default Print Selected Areas

    Hi. I have a question about 'printing selected area'. This option appears in the print preview dialog box, but it is grayed out. I tried selecting an area in my image, then I went into print preview, but the check box 'print selected areas' remains grayed out. Anybody know how to print selected areas only?
    Marvin Horlick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Print Selected Areas

    Marvin, I tried it and it works fine for me. I made a selection with the
    Rectangular Marquee tool, then went into Print Preview and had the option to
    print the selected area. BUT....when I tried to make a selection other than
    a rectangular one (for instance, an ellipse), the print selected area option
    does gray out. Bottom line appears to be: can only print selected
    rectangular areas.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  3. #3

    Chuck,

    I am sure you know but for Marvin and anyone else if you want to print an
    eliptical or other shape:

    Once the shape selection is made go to "Layer/New/Layer Via Copy" and create
    a layer of the shape. Then click on the "eye" of the background layer to
    make it invisible and then you can print the selection.

    Pete (D) (Got to use the D now since there are other Pete's around here now
    :)

    Pete D Guest

  4. #4

    Pete (the Florida Flash):

    That's a good one - thanks!

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    Pete, hi! ;)

    the florida flash ..lol
    Jodi Frye Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Jodi,

    Got to check the challenge site to see if you have anything new. But gotta
    go right now....back later.

    PeteD (the FF?...)

    Pete D Guest

  7. #7

    Pete, hmmmm, how's 'bout the 'florida flasher ' ? Will that be OK ? ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  8. #8

    Thank you Chuck and Pete,

    Both methods you talked about work: the rectangular marquee tool and the alternate method of choosing the selection using the 'eye' icon in the layers pallette.

    Thanks again! - Marvin
    Marvin Horlick Guest

  9. #9

    Pete,
    I am trying to print an ellipse with a feathered edge. I have made the selection of the ellipse and made a "Layer via Copy". The selection has been made since I can change the brightness of the image inside the ellipse. However, when I click on the "eye of the BG" the whole image goes away. I have tried both locked and unlocked conditions of the layer.
    If I try to use the "Effects - Vignette", it tells me no selection has been made.

    Carl
    Carl J Baxter Guest

  10. #10

    Carl,

    (Excuse this if it sounds too basic. Oh and check the image mode and make
    sure it is RGB).

    It is not necessary to "unlock" the background to create a Layer Via Copy.
    Just make a selection and then from the Menu Bar at top of screen
    Layer/New/Layer Via Copy.

    When you have made this "Layer via Copy" there should be 'two' thumbnails in
    the layers palette (two layers). One for the BG and one for the selected
    copy. If you click the "eye" of the BG turning off the visibility of that
    layer the other layer should be visible (and still selected if you have done
    nothing after making this new layer).

    One thing also..... is that when you make the "Layer Via Copy" you can set a
    "feather" (Look on top of the screen to the right of where the Marquee tools
    are shown... try 20 or 25) and you may find you get the effect you are
    looking for.

    If that look does not suit and you want a Vignette you must first "select"
    an area to apply the Vignette. You can use the rectangular or the Oval, or
    circle selection tool. Or you can also use the selection brush but it will
    probably need a brush size of 300-500 for a "one click" selection.

    Hope this helps :)

    Pete

    > I am trying to print an ellipse with a feathered edge. I have made the
    selection of the ellipse and made a "Layer via Copy". The selection has been
    made since I can change the brightness of the image inside the ellipse.
    However, when I click on the "eye of the BG" the whole image goes away. I
    have tried both locked and unlocked conditions of the layer.
    > If I try to use the "Effects - Vignette", it tells me no selection has
    been made.

    > Carl

    Pete D Guest