Professional Web Applications Themes

print spooler stops when no lpt1 port available? - Windows Server

Hi all, For some reason the print spooler on my Windows 2003 Server stops a few seconds after I try to start it with an 7031 error. I couldn't find any useable info in the Knowledgebase. The machine on which this is installed is a headless one, with no LPT1 ports available. Perhaps this is the cause? I want to use this server as a (Citrix) terminalserver, with printing on the clients PC's. Hope someone can confirm this....

  1. #1

    Default print spooler stops when no lpt1 port available?

    Hi all,

    For some reason the print spooler on my Windows 2003 Server stops a few
    seconds after I try to start it with an 7031 error. I couldn't find any
    useable info in the Knowledgebase.

    The machine on which this is installed is a headless one, with no LPT1 ports
    available. Perhaps this is the cause?
    I want to use this server as a (Citrix) terminalserver, with printing on the
    clients PC's.

    Hope someone can confirm this.

    Janee Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Janee,

    You may be able to confirm it yourself, why not try mapping a shared
    printer to lpt1 ?
    From command prompt:

    net use lpt1 \\server\printshare

    See what happens. While I've not actually run into this problem, I would
    find it hard to believe that if there is no physical lpt port on a
    workstation it would cause any grief. Having said that, there have been
    many things in the past I wouldn't have thought would cause problems with
    various services etc. and been proven horribly wrong :)

    "Janee" <_> wrote in message news:e4AQDg6UEHA.584TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > For some reason the print spooler on my Windows 2003 Server stops a few
    > seconds after I try to start it with an 7031 error. I couldn't find any
    > useable info in the Knowledgebase.
    >
    > The machine on which this is installed is a headless one, with no LPT1
    ports
    > available. Perhaps this is the cause?
    > I want to use this server as a (Citrix) terminalserver, with printing on
    the
    > clients PC's.
    >
    > Hope someone can confirm this.

    TheSingingCat Guest

  3. #3

    TheSingingCat,

    I've tried this but got a System error 85: The local device name is already
    in use (which is not the case).

  4. #4

    try mapping it to lpt2 then - see if it gives you the same thing?

  5. #5

    :
    : I've tried this but got a System error 85: The local device name is
    already
    : in use (which is not the case).

    And what do you see when you just type in: net use

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall Guest

  6. #6

    it turns out that there was a corrupt print job in the spooler directory.
    after removing it the print spooler started again.

    thanks everyone

    Janee Guest

  7. #7

    "Janee" <_> wrote in message news:%23c7Eq8qVEHA.2508TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    : it turns out that there was a corrupt print job in the spooler directory.
    : after removing it the print spooler started again.

    I have mixed feelings when it's something simple. (O:= You'll find that you
    can't delete it either with pending jobs. One would think you would be
    prompted to remove them rather than having to cancel them manually.

    Glad you got it working.