Professional Web Applications Themes

Print to Disk? - Mac Applications & Software

Is there a versatile print to disk utility for Macintosh OS 9.x? Ideally, I'd be able to select it in the chooser and it would work transparently. I would not have to name each print file manually. The application would number them sequentially, or maybe append new print jobs to the file. I would not be application specific and print at device resolution. PrintToPDF is not desirable in my case, despite the many wonders of PDF, because creating PDF files is slow, and they are slow to print as well. At least they are too slow for my aging machine. ...

  1. #1

    Default Print to Disk?

    Is there a versatile print to disk utility for Macintosh OS 9.x?

    Ideally, I'd be able to select it in the chooser and it would work
    transparently. I would not have to name each print file manually. The
    application would number them sequentially, or maybe append new print
    jobs to the file. I would not be application specific and print at
    device resolution.

    PrintToPDF is not desirable in my case, despite the many wonders of PDF,
    because creating PDF files is slow, and they are slow to print as well.
    At least they are too slow for my aging machine.

    I don't even know if such an appolication is technically possible. Just
    though I'd ask. If one exists, it would be convenient. I looked around
    on the shareware sites but couldn't find one.

    Best regards,

    Tim Miller

    Timothy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Print to Disk?

    In article <com>,
    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    I'm aware of two options. If you have (or will have) a laser printer
    available for your eventual hard copy, you could set up a LaserWriter
    and use its ability to print to a PostScript file.

    Alternatively, I remember a driver called PrintToPict that was quick and
    reliable in my brief testing some time ago.

    Gregory Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    Depends which printer you use. For example, with the color stylewriter
    1500, you can select 'Stop Print Queue' and print files wait in the
    queue. You can drag them out of the queue, save them where you wish, and
    print them later. Similar functions may exist with other printers.

    Bill.
    Bill Guest

  4. #4

    >Is there a versatile print to disk utility for Macintosh OS 9.x?

    It can be done, but its not as easy to do as it would be on a Windows PC, nor
    is it as easy to print as it would be on a PC.
    --------------
    Vote George W. Bush for President in 2004!
    Vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for California Governor in 2003!

    Crucifyself03 Guest

  5. #5

    >Depends which printer you use. For example, with the color stylewriter

    I love my PC. Its so simple to print files to disk.

    a. Select the print to disk option in your printer dialog box.
    b. Save the file
    C. Once connected to a printer, go into MSDOS
    D. Follow these instrucrtions...

    If all you want to do is print the file, you can just send it directly
    to the printer. In Windows 98, open a command line window and type
    (sans quotes) "copy /b filename.prn LPT1" -- substituting the full
    path for "filename.prn" and substituting the port or network name
    where the printer is connected. To see where the printer is connected,
    open the printer in the Printers folder and click on File ->
    Properties, then the Ports tab.

    When you print to file, as you did, the printer driver sends
    everything to a file on disk exactly as it would have sent it to the
    printer. Thus the "copy" command sends the file to the printer and the
    printer can understand it the same as if it were being spooled
    directly. Print files are commonly used when you need to print to a
    printer attached to another computer off-premises. You can put the
    print file on a floppy or CD (or even e-mail it), and then send it
    directly to the printer from the other computer. The other computer
    doesn't need to have the application where the file was created
    installed.
    --------------

  6. #6

    On 21 Aug 2003 02:01:46 GMT,
    Crucifyself03 (comnojunk) wrote:

    > It can be done, but its not as easy to do as it would be on a Windows PC, nor
    > is it as easy to print as it would be on a PC.[/ref]

    Okay, moron, you're wrong again. With OS9, LW 8.7.1, it is *trivial*
    to print to disk. When you go to print, under destination, rather than
    printer, select "File". That changes the print button to "Save". Click
    on it. That's all there is to it.

    Nothing could be simpler.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  7. #7

    >Okay, moron, you're wrong again. With OS9, LW 8.7.1, it is *trivial*

    Nothing as simple as printing to disk on the PC! Heck even DOS can do it!

    On my particular aging Mac, opening that printer driver requires me to launch
    Appletalk, which will conflict with my Palm syncing. On my aging Mac,
    Appletalk always defaults to the serial port, even when a Ethernet card is
    installed. I can use the AT control Panel to set Appletalk to work through my
    COM Slot 10/100 Network card.

    On the PC I use my standard printer driver (any printer driver will work) and
    select the print to disk option. Its so simple!!!!

    On the Mac I cannot use my HP Deskjet USB printer driver options to print to a
    disk, like what can be done on my PC using the exact same printer.

    I've printed to disk before on the Mac, but most of the time when I need to
    print to a disk, store the file on a floppy disk, and transport and print on
    another computer, I use the Microsoft Windows operating system.

    Sorry the Mac cant beat Windows PC's here... Macs are superior for a number of
    things, but I can say the samething about PC's compared to Macs as well.
    --------------

  8. #8

    Crucifyself03 wrote:

    > Nothing as simple as printing to disk on the PC! Heck even DOS can do it!
    >
    > On my particular aging Mac, opening that printer driver requires me to launch
    > Appletalk, which will conflict with my Palm syncing. On my aging Mac,
    > Appletalk always defaults to the serial port, even when a Ethernet card is
    > installed. I can use the AT control Panel to set Appletalk to work through my
    > COM Slot 10/100 Network card.
    >
    > On the PC I use my standard printer driver (any printer driver will work) and
    > select the print to disk option. Its so simple!!!!
    >
    > On the Mac I cannot use my HP Deskjet USB printer driver options to print to a
    > disk, like what can be done on my PC using the exact same printer.[/ref]

    Sounds like you don't know how to work your Mac.

    Oddly, this doesn't come as a surprise

    Thom

    ---------
    Vote Sooty for President in 2004!

    Thom Guest

  9. #9

    Crucifyself03 <comnojunk> wrote:

    Okay, so the original poster wants to know how to print to disk from his
    Mac, and you "contribute" with this. How exactly is this supposed to
    help him, kishka-head? Is it your recommendation that he go out and buy
    a PC, then transfer files from the Mac just to do something you already
    know is a feature of the LaserWriter 8.7.1 driver he already has and
    which provides PostScript quality?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  10. #10

    Crucifyself03 <comnojunk> wrote:

    > Nothing as simple as printing to disk on the PC! Heck even DOS can do it![/ref]

    How can anything be more simple than Bev's solution, even to a simpleton
    like you?

    Hey, muffaletta brains, just set AppleTalk to "Remote Only" and leave it
    turned on. Apple provided that option just for situations like yours,
    only you're too pigheaded to know.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  11. #11

    >Sounds like you don't know how to work your Mac.
    Sounds like you are in living denial that Microsoft Windows is superior to the
    mac OS for some functions.

    Its okay no matter what you will never admit to this. Unlike you I try to use
    the best computer for the job, and sometimes that requires Windows. Windows is
    superior to the Mac OS for a number of tasks.

    Print to disk? Even a 186 HP 200LX Palmtop PC can print files to disk! Try
    printing a file to disk using a similiar Apple computer (the Apple IIgs). Good
    luck and let me know how it goes. For this particular task nothing can beat the
    power of MSDOS.
    --------------

  12. #12

    Crucifyself03 wrote:
     [/ref]

    Are you for real you nutjob?

    Thom Guest

  13. #13

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    > Sounds like you are in living denial that Microsoft Windows is superior to
    > the
    > mac OS for some functions.
    >
    > Its okay no matter what you will never admit to this. Unlike you I try to
    > use
    > the best computer for the job, and sometimes that requires Windows. Windows
    > is
    > superior to the Mac OS for a number of tasks.
    >
    > Print to disk? Even a 186 HP 200LX Palmtop PC can print files to disk! Try
    > printing a file to disk using a similiar Apple computer (the Apple IIgs).
    > Good luck and let me know how it goes. For this particular task nothing can
    > beat the power of MSDOS.[/ref]

    Funny. My //e could print to disk.

    Gregory Guest

  14. #14

    Crucifyself03 <comnojunk> wrote:

    Sounds like you're living in denial that this thread is about someone
    running Mac OS 9.x who wants to know how to print to disk, and your
    dragging Windows into this isn't helping him at all. We've seen you
    express annoyance when people have responded to YOUR problems without
    helping, so why are you doing the same to him?

    Incidentally, you know very well that Bev has on several occasions
    recently shown you the charters for the comp.sys.mac newsgroups, and
    there's nothing on-charter about discussing Windows in c.s.m.apps. If
    you want to persist in your "Windows is better" ranting, there are other
    newsgroups where such discussions are appropriate, such as
    comp.sys.mac.advocacy, so please go where your kind belongs.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  15. #15

    >Funny. My //e could print to disk.

    Not as easily as on DOS, and you probably are using some third party software.

  16. #16

    Crucifyself03 wrote:

    > Not as easily as on DOS, and you probably are using some third party software.[/ref]

    That doesn't make _any_ sense

    Thom

    Thom Guest