Professional Web Applications Themes

Printer drivers for newer printers - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

begin On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:25:23 -0400, Jean wrote: > > I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers > for them without any success. Why would you even consider buying a printer without knowing that proper drivers are available? But then you are a Windows user and such ignorance and lack of planning is to be expected....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Printer drivers for newer printers

    begin On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:25:23 -0400, Jean wrote:

    > I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers
    > for them without any success.
    Why would you even consider buying a printer without knowing that proper
    drivers are available?

    But then you are a Windows user and such ignorance and lack of planning is
    to be expected.

    Dave Uhring Guest

  2. #2

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > begin On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:25:23 -0400, Jean wrote:
    >

    >>I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers
    >>for them without any success.
    >

    > Why would you even consider buying a printer without knowing that proper
    > drivers are available?
    >
    > But then you are a Windows user and such ignorance and lack of planning is
    > to be expected.

    Now, now. Be nice. He might have been mistaken or confused, or might not
    realize that not all printers have published Linux drivers.

    What printers are they?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  3. #3

    Jean wrote:

    > I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find
    > drivers for them without any success.
    >
    > The printers I have are a Canon S330 and a Canon i950. Both are
    > connected on a windows printer/home control server.
    >
    > For the S330 I have used the S300 printer driver (qimp-print), the
    > print quality is horrible but at least it prints the correct size, as
    > for the i950, I used the BJC-8200 printer driver and it prints at 1/4
    > of the size it is supposed to.
    >
    > Canon only supports windows and Mac os, at least that is their
    > official response.
    >
    > Is there anywhere I can find printer drivers for these two printers?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jean

    I checked your printers on printerdrake in my Mandrake 9.1.

    It shows the S330 and uses Ghostscript + bj200, which is the same driver
    used by the BJ-200 printer.

    Mandrake did not have a driver explicitly for the i950 but I did
    discover the site for a 3rd party printer driver, here:
    [url]http://www.turboprint.de/english.html[/url]

    Perhaps in your distribution you might try the driver for the BJ-200
    printer.
    It appears to offer a free version for private use and a retail version,
    also for private use for EUR 24.95 (approx. US$ 25).

    Never tried it myself.

    Clive Dove Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:29:21 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Now, now. Be nice. He might have been mistaken or confused, or might not
    > realize that not all printers have published Linux drivers.
    That -was- nice.
    > What printers are they?
    From the OP, "Canon S330 and a Canon i950". Neither is even listed at
    [url]http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Canon[/url]

    Dave Uhring Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:08:40 +0000, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > begin On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:25:23 -0400, Jean wrote:
    >

    >> I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers
    >> for them without any success.
    >
    > Why would you even consider buying a printer without knowing that proper
    > drivers are available?
    >
    > But then you are a Windows user and such ignorance and lack of planning is
    > to be expected.
    Try as I might, I couldn't find a dot matrix printer which could print
    acceptable photos!
    jean Guest

  6. #6

    Jean wrote:

    > "Clive Dove" <chdoverogers.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > news:uzyPa.6811$lJd1.1570news01.bloor.is.net.cabl e.rogers.com...
    >> Jean wrote:
    >>

    >> > I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find
    >> > drivers for them without any success.
    >> >
    >> > The printers I have are a Canon S330 and a Canon i950. Both are
    >> > connected on a windows printer/home control server.
    >> >
    >> > For the S330 I have used the S300 printer driver (qimp-print), the
    >> > print quality is horrible but at least it prints the correct size,
    >> > as for the i950, I used the BJC-8200 printer driver and it prints
    >> > at 1/4 of the size it is supposed to.
    >> >
    >> > Canon only supports windows and Mac os, at least that is their
    >> > official response.
    >> >
    >> > Is there anywhere I can find printer drivers for these two
    >> > printers?
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> >
    >> > Jean
    >> >

    >> I checked your printers on printerdrake in my Mandrake 9.1.
    >>
    >> It shows the S330 and uses Ghostscript + bj200, which is the same
    >> driver used by the BJ-200 printer.
    >>
    >> Mandrake did not have a driver explicitly for the i950 but I did
    >> discover the site for a 3rd party printer driver, here:
    >> [url]http://www.turboprint.de/english.html[/url]
    >>
    >> Perhaps in your distribution you might try the driver for the BJ-200
    >> printer.
    >> It appears to offer a free version for private use and a retail
    >> version, also for private use for EUR 24.95 (approx. US$ 25).
    >>
    >> Never tried it myself.
    >>

    > Thanks, took a look and looks promising even if it's not free ;-) The
    > "free" version prints a logo on each page and there is no access to
    > the better settings.
    >
    > Jean

    Does your linux distribution have a Canon BJ-200 in its printer list?
    Clive Dove Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:25:13 -0400, jean wrote:
    > Try as I might, I couldn't find a dot matrix printer which could print
    > acceptable photos!
    I doubt that such a printer exists. The whole genre of dot matrix
    printers has pretty well been displaced by ink jet printers.

    You can discover beforehand what printers are supported generally in Linux
    here:

    [url]http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi[/url]

    I guarantee that I used those lists before purchasing any printers.

    Dave Uhring Guest

  8. #8

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:25:13 -0400, jean wrote:
    >

    >>Try as I might, I couldn't find a dot matrix printer which could print
    >>acceptable photos!
    >

    > I doubt that such a printer exists. The whole genre of dot matrix
    > printers has pretty well been displaced by ink jet printers.
    >
    > You can discover beforehand what printers are supported generally in Linux
    > here:
    >
    > [url]http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi[/url]
    >
    > I guarantee that I used those lists before purchasing any printers.
    It's a good list. But it is *ALWAYS* at least 3 months, if not more, out
    of date. A lot of modern printers "just work" with older printer drivers
    of similar models, so if you wind up stuck with something not on the
    list you might at least try it.

    Then, if it works, send a note to linuxprinting.org to add it to the list.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:02:54 +0000, Clive Dove wrote:
    > Jean wrote:
    >

    >> "Clive Dove" <chdoverogers.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >> news:uzyPa.6811$lJd1.1570news01.bloor.is.net.cabl e.rogers.com...

    >>> I checked your printers on printerdrake in my Mandrake 9.1.
    >>>
    >>> It shows the S330 and uses Ghostscript + bj200, which is the same
    >>> driver used by the BJ-200 printer.
    >>>
    >>> Mandrake did not have a driver explicitly for the i950 but I did
    >>> discover the site for a 3rd party printer driver, here:
    >>> [url]http://www.turboprint.de/english.html[/url]
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps in your distribution you might try the driver for the BJ-200
    >>> printer.
    >>> It appears to offer a free version for private use and a retail
    >>> version, also for private use for EUR 24.95 (approx. US$ 25).
    >>>
    >>> Never tried it myself.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, took a look and looks promising even if it's not free ;-) The
    >> "free" version prints a logo on each page and there is no access to
    >> the better settings.
    >>
    >> Jean
    >

    > Does your linux distribution have a Canon BJ-200 in its printer list?
    I'm using RedHat 8 and it does have the BJ-200 but it doesn't work. I
    have tried many drivers and the ones that work are S630, S300, BJC-8200,
    S800, there may be others, but I got tired of trying them or the specs
    were just too far off, all those print at the coorect size, but with
    really low resolution and washed out colors. The BJC-600 and BJC-6100
    (and others I'm sure) print vibrant colors but at a fraction of the size.

    I have sent a couple of questions to the Turbo Print guys before I buy
    from them. Their print quality is as good as the quality I get on
    windows and it is very easy to set up. Quote from their site:

    "TurboPrint makes it possible to use the latest color printers with
    Linux. It is designed to produce maximum quality photo prints as well
    as high-speed text doents. Printer set-up and configuration is as
    simple as on Windows or MacOS."

    I will also write to Canon and see if they can include Linux drivers with
    their printers, at least in the high end ones.

    Thanks for your help

    Jean

    jean Guest

  10. #10

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:26:17 +0000, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:25:13 -0400, jean wrote:
    >
    >> Try as I might, I couldn't find a dot matrix printer which could print
    >> acceptable photos!
    >
    > I doubt that such a printer exists. The whole genre of dot matrix
    > printers has pretty well been displaced by ink jet printers.
    >
    > You can discover beforehand what printers are supported generally in Linux
    > here:
    >
    > [url]http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi[/url]
    >
    > I guarantee that I used those lists before purchasing any printers.
    I guess you were right, I am stupid. I plum forgot to add "sarcasm on and
    off" with my response. In the list provided at linuxprinting.org, NONE of
    the printers listed can be bought NEW! Kinda limits the choice in
    hardware doesn't it?

    Jean

    jean Guest

  11. #11

    jean wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:02:54 +0000, Clive Dove wrote:
    >
    >> Jean wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Clive Dove" <chdoverogers.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >>> news:uzyPa.6811$lJd1.1570news01.bloor.is.net.cabl e.rogers.com...

    >>> Thanks, took a look and looks promising even if it's not free ;-)
    >>> The "free" version prints a logo on each page and there is no access
    >>> to the better settings.
    >>>
    >>> Jean
    >>

    >> Does your linux distribution have a Canon BJ-200 in its printer list?
    >
    > I'm using RedHat 8 and it does have the BJ-200 but it doesn't work. I
    > have tried many drivers and the ones that work are S630, S300,
    > BJC-8200, S800, there may be others, but I got tired of trying them or
    > the specs were just too far off, all those print at the coorect size,
    > but with
    > really low resolution and washed out colors. The BJC-600 and BJC-6100
    > (and others I'm sure) print vibrant colors but at a fraction of the
    > size.
    >
    > I have sent a couple of questions to the Turbo Print guys before I buy
    > from them. Their print quality is as good as the quality I get on
    > windows and it is very easy to set up. Quote from their site:
    >
    > "TurboPrint makes it possible to use the latest color printers with
    > Linux. It is designed to produce maximum quality photo prints as well
    > as high-speed text doents. Printer set-up and configuration is as
    > simple as on Windows or MacOS."
    >
    > I will also write to Canon and see if they can include Linux drivers
    > with their printers, at least in the high end ones.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Jean
    There is a news server for linux printing hereL
    news.linuxprinting.org
    And it has this newsgroup:
    linuxprinting.canon.general

    Perhaps a posting to that group might help.

    Also, you might want to have a look at this faq which mentions the S330:
    [url]http://www.linuxprinting.org/canon-faq.html#s_24[/url]

    Clive Dove Guest

  12. #12

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:27:39 -0400, jean wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:26:17 +0000, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:25:13 -0400, jean wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try as I might, I couldn't find a dot matrix printer which could print
    >>> acceptable photos!
    >>
    >> I doubt that such a printer exists. The whole genre of dot matrix
    >> printers has pretty well been displaced by ink jet printers.
    >>
    >> You can discover beforehand what printers are supported generally in Linux
    >> here:
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi[/url]
    >>
    >> I guarantee that I used those lists before purchasing any printers.
    >
    > I guess you were right, I am stupid. I plum forgot to add "sarcasm on and
    > off" with my response. In the list provided at linuxprinting.org, NONE of
    > the printers listed can be bought NEW! Kinda limits the choice in
    > hardware doesn't it?
    >
    > Jean
    Pardon my failure to limit my quotes. My newsreader is newly compiled and
    seems to be partially borken.

    Now the first printer which I looked at on [url]www.compusa.com[/url] was the HP
    DeskJet 5550 and it is indeed listed. You are a liar.

    Dave Uhring Guest

  13. #13

    "Dave Uhring" <daveuhring> a écrit dans le message de
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:09:28 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    > > Pardon my failure to limit my quotes. My newsreader is newly compiled
    and
    > > seems to be partially borken.
    > >
    > > Now the first printer which I looked at on [url]www.compusa.com[/url] was the HP
    > > DeskJet 5550 and it is indeed listed. You are a liar.
    Gee, you are so kind, first you tell me I'm a idiot, then a liar, what next,
    I can't wait. Now go back to a shell if you have nothing better to do than
    insult people without contributing anything.
    > A re-compile seems to have fixed the editing problems of pan.
    >
    > Now, let's look at some more printers offered for sale -right now- by
    > compusa:
    >
    > HP DeskJet 3820 and 5550
    Slow as mollases, NOT photo printers!
    > HP DeskJet 1220
    Better choice, but not mine. Expensive cartriges, limited possibility of
    refills. Only four color.
    > both fully supported.
    >
    > Shall I continue to go through the CURRENT offerings of CompUSA or would
    > you prefer another supplier?
    Maybe I live in a different country than you do and the printers offered for
    sale here are not the same. Maybe I like to shop in person to support the
    stores close to my home who will give me support when I need it. Maybe also
    I have personnal preferences for Canon printers because of the quality of
    the prints I get and the fact that the cartriges can very easily be
    refilled.

    Oh sure, you could find an Epson photo printer with six colors supported by
    Linux but you may not know the cartriges are hard to refill, they have a
    chip inside which has to be reset with a special device before they can be
    used again even tough they are full...

    If you only need to print logs, then any printer will do, when you have
    specific needs for a printer, then the choice is a LOT more difficult.
    While I would "like" to print from my Linux box, it is not essential. Also
    while I would like ALL the software I use to be free, I don't mind paying a
    reasonnable fee for something that works (like Turboprint)

    Jean

    Jean Guest

  14. #14

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:12:12 -0400, Jean wrote:
    > Gee, you are so kind, first you tell me I'm a idiot, then a liar, what next,
    > I can't wait. Now go back to a shell if you have nothing better to do than
    > insult people without contributing anything.
    I contributed the location of printers which are supported in Linux. You
    don't like that, then do what I suggested in the first place - use
    Windows.

    Take your whining somewhere else. You are too stupid to use Linux, BSD or
    UNIX.
    > Maybe I live in a different country than you do and the printers offered for
    > sale here are not the same.
    I would expect that printers offered for sale in the US are also offered
    for sale in Canada. I may be wrong there, but I doubt it.
    > Maybe I like to shop in person to support the
    > stores close to my home who will give me support when I need it. Maybe also
    > I have personnal preferences for Canon printers because of the quality of
    > the prints I get and the fact that the cartriges can very easily be
    > refilled.

    Maybe you should just stay with Windows. Nobody could care less about
    someone so dumb as to select an unsupported printer when lists of
    supported printers are available.

    You failed to respond to my request for printers actually supported by
    Linux and which meet your specifications. Since you are apparently unable
    to do a search for yourself and have insulted me for doing one for you,
    and thus discovering that your are indeed a liar,

    ** PLONK **

    Dave Uhring Guest

  15. #15

    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:12:12 -0400, Jean wrote:
    >
    > > Gee, you are so kind, first you tell me I'm a idiot, then a liar, what
    next,
    > > I can't wait. Now go back to a shell if you have nothing better to do
    than
    > > insult people without contributing anything.
    >
    > I contributed the location of printers which are supported in Linux. You
    > don't like that, then do what I suggested in the first place - use
    > Windows.
    >
    > Take your whining somewhere else. You are too stupid to use Linux, BSD or
    > UNIX.
    >
    > > Maybe I live in a different country than you do and the printers offered
    for
    > > sale here are not the same.
    >
    > I would expect that printers offered for sale in the US are also offered
    > for sale in Canada. I may be wrong there, but I doubt it.
    >
    > > Maybe I like to shop in person to support the
    > > stores close to my home who will give me support when I need it. Maybe
    also
    > > I have personnal preferences for Canon printers because of the quality
    of
    > > the prints I get and the fact that the cartriges can very easily be
    > > refilled.
    >

    > Maybe you should just stay with Windows. Nobody could care less about
    > someone so dumb as to select an unsupported printer when lists of
    > supported printers are available.
    >
    > You failed to respond to my request for printers actually supported by
    > Linux and which meet your specifications. Since you are apparently unable
    > to do a search for yourself and have insulted me for doing one for you,
    > and thus discovering that your are indeed a liar,
    >
    > ** PLONK **
    GOOD, then I won't see your drivel next time I ask a legitimate question!
    (for which your first answer was an insult BTW)

    Learn to read idiot, my first post listed the printers I HAD, not the ones I
    "would" get if I only needed to print from a Linux box.

    Jean Guest