Professional Web Applications Themes

Printer for proofing - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm sure most of you do a certain amount of layout proofing before a final design and was curious if anyone had a preference for a printer. If you had $2-$3000 to spend and wanted to get good proofs on docs with graphics/photos and also have the capacity to handle short run in-house manuals is there a printer out there that you would recommend looking at? Our larger runs go to service bureau but out main client loves to make daily changes/alterations for ever before we can get her to just let go and I'd like to be able to ...

  1. #1

    Default Printer for proofing

    I'm sure most of you do a certain amount of layout proofing before a final
    design and was curious if anyone had a preference for a printer.
    If you had $2-$3000 to spend and wanted to get good proofs on docs with
    graphics/photos and also have the capacity to handle short run in-house
    manuals is there a printer out there that you would recommend looking at?
    Our larger runs go to service bureau but out main client loves to make daily
    changes/alterations for ever before we can get her to just let go and I'd
    like to be able to print out proofs that I could be reasonably certain to be
    close to the proof provided by the bureau for final approval to avoid her
    need to make more changes.

    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Carolyn

    carolyn_gill@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printer for proofing

    Carolyn,

    It kind of depends on your "proofing" intent. If you need super color accurate, press-match proofing, the printer itself may matter less than a good RIP with effective color management tools. For output, you'd have to choose a technology you find suitable. How does your service bureau produce your output?

    For design checking and short-run color, I'd choose a color laser, something like the Xante Ilumina, although I'd need about $7k for that. Closer to your price range are, for instance, the Okidata C9300, Ricoh "Afficio," and Konica Magicolor 7300. I'm currently shopping these myself. Google finds competitive model-ranges by an array of manufacturers. Pay attention to paper-handling specs. If your application requires only legal-size or smaller, there may be thousands of choices. The field narrows somewhat, (and the prices go up), when you get into machines that accommodate larger sheets.
    John Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you very much--very helpful fingerpointing. :) My partner was stuck
    at looking to HP laser printers and I've never had any luck with consistent
    color matches no matter how many tech calls I made to them. Now I at least
    can offer him alternatives to research.

  4. #4

    Carolyn,

    Would you kindly turn off the autoquote in your newsreader. Long
    autoquotes serve no purpose and for the majority or users accessing via
    the web they clog up the screen.

    I've taken the liberty to edit your post accordingly.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    You might want to look at the Xerox Phaser line, as well. I don't particularly like the solid ink models, but I own a Phaser 790 that I purchased when they first came out. Color is excellent and very close to my printer's Epson contract proofs. The 790 is of course obsolete, but the newer versions should be even better, and print 1200 dpi.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I'd go with an Epson.

    ~Nick
    nick@marketingdurango.com Guest

  7. #7

    We have been using a Xerox Phaser 860 for 3 years with absolutely no complaints other than the solid ink results in a printed surface that scratches if you work at it. The current equivalent is the 8550, and we're about to upgrade.

    We've been pleased with its color accuracy.
    Curt_Akin@adobeforums.com Guest