Professional Web Applications Themes

Printer Installation Problem in Dual Boot XP/W2K - Windows XP/2000/ME

I have an Epson Stylus C 62 printer which is working OK in a W2K PC. My daughter has the same printer working normally in her PC which is running XP Pro. Both of us used identical Installation CD's provided by Epson. Within the last few days I have installed XP in a separate Partition in my PC which now has the Dual Boot choice of W2K / XP . If I boot this machine into W2K , the printer works OK as before. If I boot into XP , no printer is "seen " and , if I click ...

  1. #1

    Default Printer Installation Problem in Dual Boot XP/W2K

    I have an Epson Stylus C 62 printer which is working OK in a W2K PC.

    My daughter has the same printer working normally in her PC which is
    running XP Pro.

    Both of us used identical Installation CD's provided by Epson.

    Within the last few days I have installed XP in a separate Partition
    in my PC which now has the Dual Boot choice of W2K / XP .

    If I boot this machine into W2K , the printer works OK as before.

    If I boot into XP , no printer is "seen " and , if I click " Add
    Printer " I get the message " Operation not possible "

    If , inspite of this discouraging message , I then insert the Epson
    CD it gets to the "Epson Printer Utility Setup page and "hangs" .
    There is a choice here to click "STOP SEARCHING" which , if I do this
    , I eventually get a message which says : " printer port is set to
    PORT - to use printer on Network change as necessary "

    If I now attempt to print something in Word , I get the message "
    Printer not installed "

    Why would this printer work OK in a machine containg only XP but not
    in one containing W2K and XP when this machine is booted into XP ?

    B.N.
    victory@iol.ie Guest

  2. #2

    Thanks for the reply , Ronnie.

    Some follow up questions :-

    I have PM 7.0 . Do you mean setting the C: Partition ( which contains
    W2K ) and the G: Partition ( which contains XP ) both to hidden?

    If this is done , I see you then mention Boot Magic ( included with my
    version of PM ).

    Will Boot Magic now be necessary for the Dual Boot facility after this
    is done because setting both of these Partitions to hidden would
    render the Dual Boot function I already have inoperative ?

    I have also found that , in XP , the sound card doesn't work ( I'm
    pretty sure the driver which works OK in W2K is also good for XP) ,
    and the 56K Dial Up modem is also not seen although , again , I'm sure
    the driver is good for XP.

    Would this also be a C: drive issue do you think ?

    B.N.
    victory@iol.ie Guest

  3. #3

    Reply in-line

    ie wrote:

    Yes.

    Install and configure Boot Magic, prior to setting the drives to Hidden. You
    must use a FAT32 partition to install BM.
    Read the doentation for BM before configuring it. When it is set up
    properly, you will see the BM menu at each boot up and you can select either
    of the hidden partitions.

    Possibly, but the sound card or modem drivers working on W2K does not
    guarantee that they will work on XP. Check with the manufacturer for XP
    specific drivers.

    Post back if you have more questions.

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Ronnie Guest

  4. #4

    >Possibly, but the sound card or modem drivers working on W2K does not
    >guarantee that they will work on XP. Check with the manufacturer for XP
    >specific drivers.[/ref]

    I have done that and am pretty certain I have the XP drivers for both.

    Perhaps a significant fact here with regard to the sound card and the
    modem which I forgot to mention is that , in DM , there are no yellow
    question marks against the sound card even though it doesn't produce
    sound :-

    I'm now wondering whether , in view of your remarks regarding the
    advisability of installing some peripherals in the C:\ , that this
    might be the problem here .

    As far as the modem is concerned , this doesn't appear at all in DM :-
    this seems to be the cause of a related failure to install my ISP
    Communications software into XP from an Installation CD provided by my
    ISP - I get a message when I attempt this saying "......no modem
    installed ....." or some such similar words.

    The above remarks are not questions - merely " thinking aloud " in
    case this triggers some similar experiences from any readers of this
    thread.

    I am not ignoring your advice given earlier about the use of PM and
    Boot Magic - its just that my C:\ drive is , at present , in NTFS ,
    and will involve quite a bit of " messing about " with this setup to
    pursue that route !

    I suppose , in the end , I'll have to decide whether I can live with
    W2K alone and forego XP . I have to admit W2K is working beautifully -
    its the old story - everything in the garden is great until you see
    something better or something you THINK is better !!

    B.N.
    victory@iol.ie Guest