Professional Web Applications Themes

Printer not enabled not idle only available - SCO

Hello, lpstat -p: printer Tally is idle. enabled since Wed Jul 31 14:49:37 2002. available. printer D100 available. printer D101 available. printer Dtally2_LPT1 is idle. enabled since Thu Nov 6 10:39:20 2003. available. How can i set the status to available ? After "enable D100" the printer is idle, with "disable D100" it's disabled. Stefan...

  1. #1

    Default Printer not enabled not idle only available

    Hello,

    lpstat -p:
    printer Tally is idle. enabled since Wed Jul 31 14:49:37 2002.
    available.
    printer D100 available.
    printer D101 available.
    printer Dtally2_LPT1 is idle. enabled since Thu Nov 6 10:39:20 2003.
    available.

    How can i set the status to available ?

    After "enable D100" the printer is idle, with "disable D100" it's
    disabled.

    Stefan

    Stefan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printer not enabled not idle only available

    Stefan Marquardt <de> wrote in message news:<com>...

    Hi Stefan,

    Have you tried:

    accept D100

    then run the status. Try printing to see how it fails. Failure
    should generate an email explanation of why it didn't work.

    When you change something in the spooler with commands like
    accept/reject, enable/disable, see if D100 and D101 get updated
    differently than the printer(s) that work, presumably Tally and
    D_tally2_LPT1.

    For example:

    touch /usr/spool/lp/now
    accept D100
    find /usr/spool/lp -newer now

    Repeat with a working printer, I think you'll have to use
    "reject" on the printer, then use "accept", and see if it updates
    any differently for a working printer than for the problem printer.

    Good luck,
    Dan
    Dan Guest

  3. #3

    On 6 Nov 2003 07:20:56 -0800, com (Dan Martin)
    wrote:

    After enable the both printers they are idle.
    My qeustion was how can i force this:

    printer D100 available.
    printer D101 available.

    Stefan

    Stefan Guest

  4. #4

    Stefan Marquardt <de> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > After enable the both printers they are idle.
    > My qeustion was how can i force this:
    >
    > printer D100 available.
    > printer D101 available.
    >
    > Stefan[/ref]

    Hi Stefan,

    Not sure I understand your question.

    From your earlier post, it looks like all the printers you
    showed are already "available."

    Experimenting here, I can't come up with any combination that
    makes the printer anything BUT "available". Disable and reject
    will report the change in status (lpstat -a will show the
    acceptance status), but even after accept and reject, the printer
    is reported as available.

    Are printers D100 and D101 failing? And if so, are you getting
    email messages when your print job fails?

    Regards,
    Dan Martin
    Dan Guest

  5. #5

    On 7 Nov 2003 16:57:34 -0800, com (Dan Martin)
    wrote:

    >Hi Stefan,
    >
    >Not sure I understand your question.
    >
    >From your earlier post, it looks like all the printers you
    >showed are already "available."
    >
    >Experimenting here, I can't come up with any combination that
    >makes the printer anything BUT "available". Disable and reject
    >will report the change in status (lpstat -a will show the
    >acceptance status), but even after accept and reject, the printer
    >is reported as available.
    >
    >Are printers D100 and D101 failing? And if so, are you getting
    >email messages when your print job fails?[/ref]

    The error isn't my problem.
    I want to set the printer manually to this status "available".
    How can i do it ?

    Regards,

    Stefan

    Stefan Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>,
    Stefan Marquardt <de> wrote:

    If it's a printer managed by the sysv print spooler (not an lpd printer), use

    lpadmin -u allow:username -p printername

    where username is the login of the user you want to grant access to, or
    "any" to grant access to all users. See lpadmin(ADM) for more information.

    John
    --
    John DuBois com KC6QKZ/AE http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/
    John Guest

  7. #7

    Stefan Marquardt <de> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > >Hi Stefan,
    > >
    > >Not sure I understand your question.
    > >
    > >From your earlier post, it looks like all the printers you
    > >showed are already "available."
    > >
    > >Experimenting here, I can't come up with any combination that
    > >makes the printer anything BUT "available". Disable and reject
    > >will report the change in status (lpstat -a will show the
    > >acceptance status), but even after accept and reject, the printer
    > >is reported as available.
    > >
    > >Are printers D100 and D101 failing? And if so, are you getting
    > >email messages when your print job fails?[/ref]
    >

    > The error isn't my problem.
    > I want to set the printer manually to this status "available".
    > How can i do it ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Stefan[/ref]

    Stefan,

    I'm sorry, but I'm still having trouble following your question.
    I've never paid any attention to "available," and I tried a couple things
    here, but I can't change it. "idle" means the printer does not have
    a job at the moment. "idle" is not the converse of "available."
    Apparently, a printer can be both idle and available, disabled and available,
    and rejecting requests and available.

    Regards,
    Dan
    Dan Guest

  8. #8

    Dan Martin typed (on Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:13:32AM -0800):
    | Stefan Marquardt <de> wrote in message news:<com>...
    | > On 7 Nov 2003 16:57:34 -0800, com (Dan Martin)
    | > wrote:
    | >
    | > > printer D100 available.

    | > >Hi Stefan,
    | > >
    | > >Not sure I understand your question.
    | > >
    | > >From your earlier post, it looks like all the printers you
    | > >showed are already "available."
    | > >
    | > >Experimenting here, I can't come up with any combination that
    | > >makes the printer anything BUT "available". Disable and reject
    | > >will report the change in status (lpstat -a will show the
    | > >acceptance status), but even after accept and reject, the printer
    | > >is reported as available.
    | > >
    | > >Are printers D100 and D101 failing? And if so, are you getting
    | > >email messages when your print job fails?
    | >

    | > The error isn't my problem.
    | > I want to set the printer manually to this status "available".
    | > How can i do it ?
    |
    | I'm sorry, but I'm still having trouble following your question.
    | I've never paid any attention to "available," and I tried a couple things
    | here, but I can't change it. "idle" means the printer does not have
    | a job at the moment. "idle" is not the converse of "available."
    | Apparently, a printer can be both idle and available, disabled and available,
    | and rejecting requests and available.

    You can change the "Advanced Settings" for any printer to allow or
    disallow which users can send anything to that printer. If a user is in
    the "deny" list for a particular printer, then his 'lpstat -t' output
    will show that printer as "not available".

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  9. #9

    On 19 Nov 2003 13:58:34 -0500, Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote:

    My question was to the get status "available" and nothing more, not
    "not available".

    Stefan

    Stefan Guest

  10. #10

    Stefan Marquardt typed (on Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:22:26AM +0100):
    | On 19 Nov 2003 13:58:34 -0500, Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote:
    |
    | >disallow which users can send anything to that printer. If a user is in
    | >the "deny" list for a particular printer, then his 'lpstat -t' output
    | >will show that printer as "not available".
    |
    | My question was to the get status "available" and nothing more, not
    | "not available".

    Change the access properties for that printer. Some (or all) users are
    now being denied access, so change that.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest