Professional Web Applications Themes

Printer Recommendation - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Any recommendations, suggestions, warning on choosing a printer. First photo printer. (worked in black & white darkroom for 15 years, 10 years ago) Want to do color & possibly some black & white. Looking at CANON I 9100, Epson Style Photo 2200 or 1280. Thanks for your input!...

  1. #1

    Default Printer Recommendation

    Any recommendations, suggestions, warning on choosing a printer. First photo printer. (worked in black & white darkroom for 15 years, 10 years ago) Want to do color & possibly some black & white.
    Looking at CANON I 9100, Epson Style Photo 2200 or 1280.
    Thanks for your input!
    Ronda Anderson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printer Recommendation

    :)

    .....as always
    Jodi Frye Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your input- are you just as satisfied with this printer for color?
    Ronda Anderson Guest

  4. #4

    I have had a epson 1280 for over a year. Get excellent results. Only
    one problem, which is true of all printers...the ink is expensive

    I have heard excellent reports on the 2200, but have never used one
    myself.

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 06:50:27 -0700, "Ronda Anderson"
    <iceandersonprodigy.net> wrote:
    >Any recommendations, suggestions, warning on choosing a printer. First photo printer. (worked in black & white darkroom for 15 years, 10 years ago) Want to do color & possibly some black & white.
    >Looking at CANON I 9100, Epson Style Photo 2200 or 1280.
    >Thanks for your input!
    Stanley Guest

  5. #5

    I use the Epson 2100 (2200 in the USA) and the colour reproduction is excellent.
    Printing B&W is something different; I just only got satisfying results with the matte black ink on archival matte paper. And then it's really excellent!

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  6. #6

    I love my 1280, although I've only had it a month or so, and it is my first photo printer.
    Eric
    Eric Matthes Guest

  7. #7

    Julio,

    Where do you get the different types of Black colour? Over here epson told me that you can get various cartridge sizes but not various qualities.

    BTW: My 1270 is great; I just discovered the customised settings to improve the quality of the print. Even more impressed now.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  8. #8

    Robert
    For the epson 2200 the each color is independent and I get it at CompUSA - a local retail chain. They are also available on the epson website.

    For the 1270 there are independent retailers that sell many different color blacks for the 1270 - 80 series printers.
    But as I understand you pretty much have to dedicate the printer to black and white since the original colors have to be flushed out and cleaned from your printer.

    Julio
    Julio Guerra Guest

  9. #9

    Julio,

    Thanks for the information and especially about the singular dedication to Bl&W. I think I downgrade my abitions regarding bl&w untill I need a new printer. The old 1270 can then be a dedicated bl&w.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  10. #10

    Robert, the 2100/2200 Epson printer uses black and light black (in the old days we used to call it grey).
    Next to that, on matte papers, there is an option to print with a matte black cartridge instead of the standard black.
    Matte prints printed this way display a really wonderful, almost "traditional fine art" quality.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  11. #11

    Julio
    If you get the Epson 2200- do you have to dedicate for black & white also?? Or can you use for both color & black & white?

    Also, do you recommend the 2200 because of the longevity of the print?
    Thanks again
    Ronda
    Ronda Anderson Guest

  12. #12

    Leen,

    How much would a 2200 cost in Europe?
    I want to be able to at least print A3 size.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  13. #13

    Robert, within a few weeks my 2100 will be for sale as I am to buy a 7600 large format printer.
    People on the forum will have first rights.
    Keep in touch.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  14. #14

    Robert - the cost of the printer is but a microscopic drop in the ocean compared to the amount you will spend on consumables for it... I'd like a proper photo printer but I contribute quite enough to Epson's profit margin as it is with the amount of ink I buy. Are the six colour printers any more economical with ink? I'm sure that in practice even if they were, I'd end up spending more as the output would be bettter. I'd love a printer that could do A3 - I've taken a few pics that I think could really handle being n up that big.

    Susan S
    Susan S. Guest

  15. #15

    Susan, most of the reviews I've read say that the savings associated with
    individual ink cartridges are minuscule at best. I guess if you were to go
    into a 'blue period' a la Picasso it might be different, but, on balance -
    ink consumption is relatively balanced. I'm resisting the Epson route
    because of the head clogging problems reported by so many users here and
    elsewhere; I'm also steering clear of Canon (obviously my first choice with
    the cameras) unless and until they acknowledge the need to upgrade their
    inks to give some longevity to their prints. I don't believe there's an
    ideal printer for me out there....yet.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  16. #16

    Chuck, I'm here to report that my ePSON does not have a head clogging problem. From what I have read, it's the problem with high humidity in certain areas of the world that causes print heads to clog and not just on EPSON printers. Those who do not have the luxury of AC in high humidity areas like florida or Australia in the summer would certainly have to clean their print heads more often. We had a prrrrty good streak of high heat and humidty that lasted a good month here....no AC but lots of fans which i had pointed to my cave 7/24...no clogs.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  17. #17

    Jodi, thanks. Houston is the high humidity capital of the western world,
    and although my A/C goes almost continuously this time of year (how would
    you like an electric bill of $600 for a single month??), I'm not sure I
    could avoid the humidity problem. On the other hand, the heads of my cheap
    old HP haven't clogged ever, so maybe the environment here isn't so bad
    after all. Oh, well....not in the market at the moment.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  18. #18

    how would you like an electric bill of $600 for a single month??

    Holy mackerel, Chuck! And here I was grousing about $120 for last month.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  19. #19

    Actually where I am it is high temperature/low humidity that's the problem - it's not uncommon to have plus forty C days in summer - but the humidity is usually very low - north wind straight from the Red Centre tends to keep it that way on hot days (allowing evaporative air conditioning as a cheap alternative to refrigerative!). My Epson clogs up in the hot dry weather - makes sense to me as the ink left on the heads would evaporate faster in hot dry than hot humid.
    Susan S
    Susan S. Guest

  20. #20

    For whoever started this post about inkjet printers, you might want to look at this information from Wilhelm Research. He's been testing printers, inks, papers and getting his prior information updated. The link goes to the page showing what's currently in testing and about to be posted. Look in the column at the left for links to some information on the wide-format Epson and the new HPs. Until more test results are in, HP has - at least temporarily - pulled ahead on the issue of longevity.

    <http://www.wilhelm-research.com/upcoming_data.html>
    Beth Haney Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast