Professional Web Applications Themes

Printer Stops MId-print - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Has anyone experienced a printer stopping while printing a photo from PE2 anywhere from 25% to 75% through the job? This has been a recurring problem for me, and I'm not sure how to avoid it. I'm not sure if this is a PE2 problem, or print driver problem. As an example, I tried to print an 8x10 psd file which contained a photo, enhanced, resized, sharpened etc and using the "Photo glossy paper" settings in the Print dialogue box, the print job would start and after about 1/4 of the way through, the printing would stop and the print ...

  1. #1

    Default Printer Stops MId-print

    Has anyone experienced a printer stopping while printing a photo from PE2 anywhere from 25% to 75% through the job? This has been a recurring problem for me, and I'm not sure how to avoid it. I'm not sure if this is a PE2 problem, or print driver problem. As an example, I tried to print an 8x10 psd file which contained a photo, enhanced, resized, sharpened etc and using the "Photo glossy paper" settings in the Print dialogue box, the print job would start and after about 1/4 of the way through, the printing would stop and the print ejected. The same file printed ok using the Plain Paper settings in the print dialogue box. I use a Macintosh computer, running OS X 10.2.6 and and Epson Sytlus Photo 890 printer. I've noticed this behaviour with other prints at other print sizes as well. Of course it always happens when I have a particularly nice print to make. It does tend to waste photopaper too. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    Edward Fritzen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printer Stops MId-print

    I'm a PC person, but have run into t some of the same problems from
    time to time. As far as I can figure (and others have told me the
    same) your printer does not have sufficient memory.

    In a PC (also MAC ?) the computer prepairs the file for printing. Once
    that's done it send it to the printer. The printer has to have the
    entire file before it can start.

    If the file is to large, the printer will print only what it can
    handle" in one bite.

    The solution?? Usually I reduce the DPI's. When your ready to
    print...is the file flattned or still has all the layers? The PSD
    format can create some LARGE files. Suggest you try to flatten then
    save as a JPG for printing.

    THis usually works for me. You could, assuming it's the printer, add
    more printer memory. But I find it easier for the few large prints I
    produce to make the file acceptable by the printer

    If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me.

    Stan

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:30:44 -0700, "Edward Fritzen"
    <elfritzenet-link.net> wrote:
    >Has anyone experienced a printer stopping while printing a photo from PE2 anywhere from 25% to 75% through the job?
    This has been a recurring problem for me
    , and I'm not sure how to avoid it. I'm not sure if this is a PE2
    problem, or print driver problem. As an example, I tried to print an
    8x10 psd file which contained a photo, enhanced, resized, sharpened
    etc and using the "Photo glossy paper" settings in the Print dialogue
    box, the print job would start and after about 1/4 of the way through,
    the printing would stop and the print ejected. The same file printed
    ok using the Plain Paper settings in the print dialogue box. I use a
    Macintosh computer, running OS X 10.2.6 and and Epson Sytlus Photo 890
    printer. I've noticed this behaviour with other prints at other print
    sizes as well. Of course it always happens when I have a particularly
    nice print to make. It does tend to waste photopaper too. Any tips
    would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

    Stanley Guest

  3. #3

    Edward,
    I'm not at all familiar with the Mac platform, but if this were on a Windows PC I'd suspect that the disk that is being used as a print spooler was either too full, or very fragmented . I'm sure there are Mac utilities to defrag your hard drive, and perhaps that will help out .

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  4. #4

    Maybe, Brent, but Edward, first I'd try launching print center from your applications>utilities folder and deleting your printer from the list and then adding it in again. Many times that will fix driver woogliness in X.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  5. #5

    Edward,
    Here's my guess from reading threads on printing large files. PSD files with many layers can easily approach and go over 100MB. Try this: flatten the layers, and save the file under a different name, as a tiff. Be careful not to lose your psd file with all the layers. (I don't think that should happen anyway, since you are changing from psd to tiff, but I change the filename slightly to make it easier for myself.) The tiff file should be much smaller than the psd file, but should look the same on printing. I'll be curious to know if this helps.
    Eric Matthes Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for all the help. I've looked through this forum and others regarding print problems and did eventually get the file to print. It might have been something as simple as restarting the computer. I'm not exactly sure, since I restarted the computer and changed the memory cache in PE2 to 75%. The original .psd file printed fine. My next step was going to be to flatten the image. The original file size was over 40meg, and flattened it would've been 15meg, roughly. I've read about deleting/re-adding printers as well, and would've tried that eventually. Thanks again for the replies.
    Edward Fritzen Guest