Professional Web Applications Themes

Printing Avery Labels from a web site - Macromedia Exchange Dreamweaver Extensions

I am just coming to grips with php, Dreamweaver and MySQL and I want to make a facility available for the members of the group I am creating my web site for. I want them to be able to print-out a list of address labels, using standard Avery labels, on their home PC's using the data from my MySQL tables. I am not yet sufficiently au fait with php to manage to code it myself so I wondered if anybody knew of any Dreamweaver extensions, add-ins or tutorials which would do the trick. I have had a good look at ...

  1. #1

    Default Printing Avery Labels from a web site

    I am just coming to grips with php, Dreamweaver and MySQL and I want to make
    a facility available for the members of the group I am creating my web site
    for. I want them to be able to print-out a list of address labels, using
    standard Avery labels, on their home PC's using the data from my MySQL
    tables. I am not yet sufficiently au fait with php to manage to code it
    myself so I wondered if anybody knew of any Dreamweaver extensions, add-ins
    or tutorials which would do the trick. I have had a good look at what is on
    the web but I can't find very much about it.

    Any ideas?
    --

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)

    FredBear Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printing Avery Labels from a web site

    "FredBear" <ThisIsNotMyAddress> wrote in message
    >I am just coming to grips with php, Dreamweaver and MySQL and I want to
    >make a facility available for the members of the group I am creating my web
    >site for. I want them to be able to print-out a list of address labels,
    >using standard Avery labels, on their home PC's using the data from my
    >MySQL tables. I am not yet sufficiently au fait with php to manage to code
    >it myself so I wondered if anybody knew of any Dreamweaver extensions,
    >add-ins or tutorials which would do the trick. I have had a good look at
    >what is on the web but I can't find very much about it.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > --
    >

    > (\__/)
    > (='.'=)
    > (")_(")

    Presumably you just need to create a HTML table to match the dimensions of
    the labels, that can then be printed...... as you can specify the column
    widths and row heights in cm this should be fairly easy to construct.

    Adding code in PHP to create this on the fly from a database would also be
    fairly easy, as you are only looping through a recordset to insert the data
    into the cells of the table.

    Sean Guest

  3. #3

    Following on from Sean's message. . .

    >Presumably you just need to create a HTML table to match the dimensions of
    >the labels, that can then be printed...... as you can specify the column
    >widths and row heights in cm this should be fairly easy to construct.
    Is the wrong answer.

    Use PDF

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the adhesive company came unstuck
    [email]peterfoxeminent.demon.co.uk.not.this.bit.no.html[/email]

  4. #4

    Peter Fox wrote:
    > Following on from Sean's message. . .
    >>
    >> Presumably you just need to create a HTML table to match the
    >> dimensions of
    >> the labels, that can then be printed...... as you can specify the column
    >> widths and row heights in cm this should be fairly easy to construct.
    > Is the wrong answer.
    >
    > Use PDF
    Using PDF's in place of web pages is a sure sign of a badly
    designed web site.

    I've had to disable PDF's in the web browser due to their
    inappropriate use on a variety of web pages.

    In computers older than 2 or 3 years, the sudden appearance of
    embedded PDF's frequently cause the system to slow down or even
    crash the browser.

    The better solution is to use CSS with the media set to print.
    Sanders Kaufman Guest

  5. #5

    "Peter Fox" <peterfoxeminent.demon.co.uk.not.this.bit.no.html > wrote in
    message news:gO2Y2LAAFKJGFwvdeminent.demon.co.uk...
    > Following on from Sean's message. . .
    >>
    >>Presumably you just need to create a HTML table to match the dimensions of
    >>the labels, that can then be printed...... as you can specify the column
    >>widths and row heights in cm this should be fairly easy to construct.
    > Is the wrong answer.
    >
    > Use PDF
    >
    > --
    > PETER FOX Not the same since the adhesive company came unstuck
    > [email]peterfoxeminent.demon.co.uk.not.this.bit.no.html[/email]
    > 2 Tees Close, Witham, Es.
    > Gravity beer in Es <http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk>
    Wrong? ... How?

    PDF is an alternative to HTML, I would agree ... and would even concede that
    it's a better alternative, IF the guy can find (or be given) the appropriate
    code examples to complete the task, but HTML wouldn't be "wrong",
    particularly if he's new to the coding that it would take to complete the
    job.

    Sean Guest

  6. #6

    Following on from Sean's message. . .

    >"Peter Fox" <peterfoxeminent.demon.co.uk.not.this.bit.no.html > wrote in
    >message news:gO2Y2LAAFKJGFwvdeminent.demon.co.uk...
    >> Following on from Sean's message. . .
    >>>
    >>>Presumably you just need to create a HTML table to match the dimensions of
    >>>the labels, that can then be printed...... as you can specify the column
    >>>widths and row heights in cm this should be fairly easy to construct.
    >> Is the wrong answer.
    >>
    >> Use PDF
    >>
    >> --
    >> PETER FOX Not the same since the adhesive company came unstuck
    >> [email]peterfoxeminent.demon.co.uk.not.this.bit.no.html[/email]
    >> 2 Tees Close, Witham, Es.
    >> Gravity beer in Es <http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk>
    >
    >Wrong? ... How?
    Try it yourself and you'll find out.

    >PDF is an alternative to HTML, I would agree ... and would even concede that
    >it's a better alternative, IF the guy can find (or be given) the appropriate
    >code examples to complete the task, but HTML wouldn't be "wrong",
    >particularly if he's new to the coding that it would take to complete the
    >job.
    HTML is not an alternative - it's a crap suggestion by somebody who
    doesn't know what they're talking about.

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed

  7. #7

    >>Wrong? ... How?
    > Try it yourself and you'll find out.
    An HTML table to represent a sheet of Avery Labels (with PHP) could be done
    in your sleep ... assuming that you have a "basic" knowledge of HTML and
    PHP.
    >>> Use PDF
    Even with a PDF format you've still got to create some sort of table or
    something in columns to match the layout.
    >>PDF is an alternative to HTML, I would agree ... and would even concede
    >>that
    >>it's a better alternative, IF the guy can find (or be given) the
    >>appropriate
    >>code examples to complete the task, but HTML wouldn't be "wrong",
    >>particularly if he's new to the coding that it would take to complete the
    >>job.
    > HTML is not an alternative - it's a crap suggestion by somebody who
    > doesn't know what they're talking about.
    There's nothing like being constructive ... and that's nothing like
    constructive.

    Sean Guest

  8. #8

    Sean wrote:
    >>> Wrong? ... How?
    >
    >> Try it yourself and you'll find out.
    >
    > An HTML table to represent a sheet of Avery Labels (with PHP) could be done
    > in your sleep ... assuming that you have a "basic" knowledge of HTML and
    > PHP.

    > Even with a PDF format you've still got to create some sort of table or
    > something in columns to match the layout.
    >
    >>> PDF is an alternative to HTML, I would agree ... and would even concede
    >>> that
    >>> it's a better alternative, IF the guy can find (or be given) the
    >>> appropriate
    >>> code examples to complete the task, but HTML wouldn't be "wrong",
    >>> particularly if he's new to the coding that it would take to complete the
    >>> job.
    >
    >> HTML is not an alternative - it's a crap suggestion by somebody who
    >> doesn't know what they're talking about.
    >
    > There's nothing like being constructive ... and that's nothing like
    > constructive.

    Sean,

    The problem with HTML is it is a fluid layout, and he needs an
    absolutely fixed one.

    For instance, the user may not be using the default font size - on my
    laptop with a high res screen, I use a larger than normal font. On my
    desktop with it's 21" screen, I use a smaller than normal font. And my
    default printer font is not the same.

    Also, the printer size probably isn't exactly 8.5"x11" (assuming U.S.).
    Most printers have an unprintable margin - and this margin varies in
    size. The browser may attempt to shrink the page to fit in the margins,
    or it may let the page overflow to the next one.

    Lots of things like this can happen when you're using html. You can try
    to force some of them - but html is only a *recommendation* on how to
    display the page, not a *requirement*. You can't be sure you've got it
    right.

    A PDF, OTOH, is an exact layout and you can control the look of
    everything to a very fine level. It's a much superior way to go when
    you need exact placement like this.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  9. #9

    Sean kirjoitti:
    > "Peter Fox" <peterfoxeminent.demon.co.uk.not.this.bit.no.html > wrote in
    > message news:gO2Y2LAAFKJGFwvdeminent.demon.co.uk...
    >> Following on from Sean's message. . .
    >>> Presumably you just need to create a HTML table to match the dimensions of
    >>> the labels, that can then be printed...... as you can specify the column
    >>> widths and row heights in cm this should be fairly easy to construct.
    >> Is the wrong answer.
    >>
    >> Use PDF
    >>
    >> --
    >> PETER FOX Not the same since the adhesive company came unstuck
    >> [email]peterfoxeminent.demon.co.uk.not.this.bit.no.html[/email]
    >> 2 Tees Close, Witham, Es.
    >> Gravity beer in Es <http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk>
    >
    > Wrong? ... How?
    >
    > PDF is an alternative to HTML, I would agree ... and would even concede that
    > it's a better alternative, IF the guy can find (or be given) the appropriate
    > code examples to complete the task, but HTML wouldn't be "wrong",
    > particularly if he's new to the coding that it would take to complete the
    > job.
    I would agree that pdf in this case would be more suited, since it's
    better suited for printing than html. With pdf you can define better the
    layout of the print, with html the results aren't as precise. Html is
    suitable for publishing material that looks good or at least acceptable
    in most media (screen, print, handheld, etc.). When the target medium is
    print, then pdf is absolutely the best choice, because it's intended to
    be used in printing. Furthermore, pdf is not an alternative to html.
    They do have similarities, like they both are ways of presenting a
    doent, but they are suited for different media.

    --
    [email]Rami.Elomaa[/email]

    "Wikipedia on vähän niinq internetin raamattu, kukaan ei pohjimmiltaan
    usko siihen ja kukaan ei tiedä mikä pitää paikkansa." -- z00ze
    Rami Elomaa Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Michael Daly Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Steve Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Michael Daly Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Steve Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jerry Stuckle Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #15

    Thanks for all the input, People, but I am now running out of the will to
    live reading through it all so I have devised a new strategy.

    I am going to do a mail merge in MS Word and upload it to my web site each
    time I add a new name to the database.

    The users can then print their Avery address labels straight from the Word
    Doent. Not an entirely elegant solution but one which will work.

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    FredBear Guest

  16. #16

    | Thanks for all the input, People, but I am now running out of the will to
    | live reading through it all so I have devised a new strategy.
    |
    | I am going to do a mail merge in MS Word and upload it to my web site each
    | time I add a new name to the database.
    |
    | The users can then print their Avery address labels straight from the Word
    | Doent. Not an entirely elegant solution but one which will work.

    if you're server is windows and you have office installed, just use COM()
    and create a word object. perform whatever operations need to take place.
    then, set the headers appropriately for the browser and echo word's results.
    you don't need to break out of php to do any of that.

    cheers.

    Steve Guest

  17. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator