Professional Web Applications Themes

Printing Error - Adobe Indesign Windows

When trying to print a file from Freehand MX to any type of printer, error comes up: "Could not complete your request because read or write access has been denied". It comes up in a Macrocmedia error box. Permissions have been checked and they all say full control....

  1. #1

    Default Printing Error

    bearette webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printing Error

    Let me know what you find out. I'm having the same problem, but I can print to non-postscript printers.

    Mike

    Mufungo webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Mufungo wrote:
    > Let me know what you find out. I'm having the same problem, but I can print to
    > non-postscript printers.
    Give us a clue or two.

    Version of Freehand?
    Platform?
    Operating system?
    What printer model? Postscript or non-Postcript?
    Printer Drivers installed and operational?
    Is printer networked or not?
    Can you print from other applications?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  4. #4

    Hi;

    Sorry about the sketchy info there. I am working at a service bureau at the University of Idaho doing large format printing.

    The machine with all the problems is a PC PIII 1.6 gig, running Win 2000. I just installed Freehand MXa. I?m printing to several printers including an Epson 9500, HP 2500 cp, and a little Canon color copier.

    I use an Adobe PS printer with the PPD for each printer going to ?FILE?. That is, the printer port is linked to ?FILE? not the ?Print to File? check box in the print dialog. I also have a direct connection (tcpip) to each printer using the printer driver provided by the manufacturers.

    When I print to ?FILE? type printers I get the error message reported by the previous user. That is, ?Could not complete your request because read or write access is denied.? However, when I use the direct network connection it reports a Non-PS printer and prints just fine. Since I?m using a software rip to control layout and printing, this is not normally a workable solution.

    It seems related to a single machine, since I can print fine using Freehand 9 on both mac and pc sides? Just not this one machine with Freehand (other applications work fine -- let me know if you want a list). I?ve tried changing all my security settings except the one that says, ?Pleas put your viruses here? :-)

  5. #5

    I am using ID CS on a Windows 2000 platform. My customer created business cards in Quark on a Mac and output them to pdf files. The individual pdf files print fine. When I import them into ID I get the following error message: "The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem". I need to be able to step and repeat these card to output 10 to a sheet on my Xeroc Doc 12. I get the message no matter what printer I print to including Adobe PDF. Because there is a three sided bleed I have added a box behind the pdf filled with the same color in the pdf file. The box will print fine as long as I have not imported the pdf file. As soon as I import the pdf file I get the error message.
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Are these PDFs from Quark 5.0? I think I read somewhere that there was
    bug that was fixed with Quark 5.1.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I do not know what version of Quark was used. The pdf files print fine from Acrobat CS (6.0 Professional). The problem there is that they are one up and I need to print 10 up.

    Thanks for the prompt response.
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Another problem I vaguely remember is that some people have had problem with placed PDFs coming from QuarkXPress 5/6 is when they were created with OPI comment features turned on. Turning off the OPI features in XPress fixes the problem.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I looked into QuarkXPress 5, and don't think it's an XPress settings issue. If it's an OPI problem, it would be in the Distiller settings. In Distiller 6 on the Advanced panel there is an option to Preserve OPI Comments. Turning this feature on can sometimes cause problems. (I believe it is on the same panel in earlier versions of Distiller.)
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I solved the problem by opening the pdf file in Illustrator CS and separating out the various elements, changing the fonts to outlines, saving to eps and reassembling in InDesign. More work than I wanted but it solved the problem. Thanks for your input.

    Stan Wetherald
    Quality Quickprint
    DeLand, Florida
    [email]stanqualityquickprint.com[/email]
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest