Professional Web Applications Themes

Printing in Slackware 9, not working properly - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all, I'm running Slackware 9, and I'm trying to get my HP Laserjet 5M working either via network or parallel. I generally run Fluxbox, but I went into KDE and ran the GUI Printer config to setup the printer via network. All went through fine, but no test page. So... back in Fluxbox, I removed /etc/printcap and removed the CUPS file for the printer (in /etc/cups/ppd). Now I ran apsfilter and went through the setup process for Parallel (/dev/lp0). Test page printed great, but I'm getting: Printer 'lp_comproomlocalhost' - cannot open connection - No such file or directory Make ...

  1. #1

    Default Printing in Slackware 9, not working properly

    Hi all,

    I'm running Slackware 9, and I'm trying to get my HP Laserjet 5M
    working either via network or parallel.

    I generally run Fluxbox, but I went into KDE and ran the GUI Printer
    config to setup the printer via network. All went through fine, but
    no test page.

    So... back in Fluxbox, I removed /etc/printcap and removed the CUPS
    file for the printer (in /etc/cups/ppd). Now I ran apsfilter and went
    through the setup process for Parallel (/dev/lp0). Test page printed
    great, but I'm getting:

    Printer 'lp_comproomlocalhost' - cannot open connection - No such
    file or directory
    Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol

    I was getting the same thing with CUPS when configured to work via
    network. Printer does work, and in Red Hat 9 all was dandy... but now
    that I'm in Slackware, won't go.

    Here's /etc/printcap:

    lp_comproom|lj5mono;r=600x600;q=medium;c=gray;p=le tter;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
    :if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp_comproom:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp_comproom/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp_comproom/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

    lsmod does have 'lp' running:
    lp 6752 0 (autoclean)

    And /proc/devices has '6 lp' listed.

    After reading other folks posts, I verified that /usr/bin/lpr is
    pointing to lpr-lprng instead of cups:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 24 11:36 lpr ->
    lpr-lprng*

    So, what do I try next?
    I tried lpc reread and everything.

    Thanks for any advice...

    Alex.
    Alex Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printing in Slackware 9, not working properly

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:32:07 -0800, Alex wrote:

    Don't trust gui's, when you don't have to :-)

    Nothing too unusual there....

    So jobs print, but then you get the error ?
    What is the output from :
    $ lpc status
    and
    $ lpstat

    --
    - Matt -

    Matt Guest

  3. #3

    com (Alex) writes:

    But lpc is also a CUPS program, isn't it? In addition to switching all
    the various /usr/bin/lp*'s from CUPS to LPRng, you also have to do
    likewise for /usr/sbin/lpc. In general, you don't want to mix CUPS and
    LPRng. If switching from one to the other, I think I would just
    reinstall the whole package and let it clobber whatever it needs to.
    You could use the init scripts to start and stop lpd. So I think
    something like

    $ /etc/rc.d/rc.cups stop
    $ chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.cups
    $ installpkg lprng-3.8.22-i486-1.tgz # or whatever version you like
    $ chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.lprng
    $ /etc/rc.d/rc.lprng start

    should switch you pretty thoroughly from CUPS to LPRng.

    I hope this helps,

    Tim
    Tim Guest

  4. #4

    Alex wrote:

    You may -- may -- need to remove both packages (CUPS and LPRng) then
    reinstall whichever one you want.

    However, try this first. Here are two scripts that will set things
    appropriately for either LPRng or CUPS (pick one, execute it logged in
    as root):

    First, to set up CUPS:

    #!/bin/ksh
    cd /usr/bin
    rm lp lp-lprng lpq lpr lprm lpstat
    ln -s lpstat-cups lpstat
    ln -s lprm-cups lprm
    ln -s lpr-cups lpr
    ln -s lpq-cups lpq
    ln -s lp-cups lp

    Second, to set up LPRng:

    #!/bin/ksh
    cd /usr/bin
    rm lp lp-lprng lpq lpr lprm lpstat
    ln -s lpstat-lprng lpstat
    ln -s lprm-lprng lprm
    ln -s lpr-lprng lpr
    ln -s lpq-lprng lpq
    ln -s lpr lp-lprng
    ln -s lp-lprng lp

    Thomas Guest

  5. #5

    Matt Payton wrote:

    oh bollocks, Mandrake's gui CUPS configuration for printers both local
    and network during install is a flawless piece of work. It gives me
    choice and control, which is what I expect of Slack actually.
    beldar Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Guy Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 02:26:48 +0000, beldar wrote:

    > oh bollocks, Mandrake's gui CUPS configuration for printers both local
    > and network during install is a flawless piece of work. It gives me
    > choice and control, which is what I expect of Slack actually.[/ref]

    Hmm...The OP is using Slack, not Mandrake. I was replying to the request
    for help with LPRng, not CUPS. What exactly does your reply have to do
    with any of that ? Do you have any advice for the OP, or do you offer any
    other help ? What's that ??? Don't know where he should click ? Oh
    well, guess it must be slack's fault, not the wiz-bang gui that did who
    knows what to the config files.

    I *never* said don't use a gui, or gui's can't get the job done. I simply
    said, don't trust them, which in this case seems to be good advice...Even
    though it was half joking, which should have been obvious.

    Anyway, rather than start some useless flame war, I'll just gracefully
    ignore you, rather than waste any more of my time, or of anyone else's
    who's actually interested in helping someone.

    --
    - Matt -

    Matt Guest

  8. #8

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Matt Payton <com> wrote:

    Actually the user knows what was done to the config files by the
    gui. The config files were made to work.

    Half joking? The type of user interface does not in any way lead
    one to any reasonable conclusions about the quality of algorithms
    used in the program.

    While you would characterize your contribution to this thread as
    the start of a "useless flamewar," more responsible and
    knowledgeable users would characterize your contribution as
    misinformation.

    Please stop posting.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

    Guest

  9. #9

    Please be aware that alt.os.linux.slackware has a resident Troll ("rm")
    who purposely posts incorrect technical advice in order to get a response.
    Nobody in alt.os.linux.slackware is replying anymore, so now he is focusing
    on threads that are crossposted - in this case crossposted to
    alt.os.linux.slackware and comp.os.linux.setup. These trollish posts
    are designed to hook the Linux expert by mixing in just enough
    misinformation to where you "just have to correct it." The problem with
    this is that doing so just results in a dozen more trollish posts with
    even more information.

    I advise correcting the misinformation, but posting the correction to
    comp.os.linux.setup only. By not replying to alt.os.linux.slackware,
    you deny the Troll the attention he feeds on.

    ___
    /o o\
    +-------oOO---(_)---OOo-------+
    | Please don't feed the Troll |
    +-----------------------------+
    \ _ /
    ooO Ooo

    @. Guest

  10. #10

    beldar wrote:

    > oh bollocks, Mandrake's gui CUPS configuration for printers both local
    > and network during install is a flawless piece of work. It gives me
    > choice and control, which is what I expect of Slack actually.[/ref]

    You say that, but I had a wierd one in Mdk 9.0 not so long since. It
    would just crash every time, then I tried it as a different user (bear
    in mind that it su's to root anyway) and it worked. After that, it
    worked as the first user as well.

    Ross

    Ross Guest