Professional Web Applications Themes

Printing non-sequential pages FHMX - Macromedia Freehand

I have a muti-page doent in MX. the print dialogue box doesn't give me the option to print pages not in sequential order. eg I can't print pages 1,4,5,7,10. I can only print individual pages at a time or a sequential range, eg 1-10. Would apprecialte any thoughts on away around this. Cheers Andrew...

  1. #1

    Default Printing non-sequential pages FHMX

    roughy webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printing non-sequential pages FHMX

    Andrew,

    I could be wrong here but it sounds like you are running on a Macintosh. If that is the case then you are right there is no way to print a random page range from FreeHand.

    I am pretty sure this is an option with most printer on the Windows platform.

    Regards,
    John J Nosal
    Product Team Liaison - FreeHand
    Macromedia Technical Support
    John J Nosal Guest

  3. #3

    roughy wrote:
    > I have a muti-page doent in MX. the print dialogue box doesn't give me the
    > option to print pages not in sequential order. eg I can't print pages
    > 1,4,5,7,10. I can only print individual pages at a time or a sequential range,
    > eg 1-10. Would apprecialte any thoughts on away around this. Cheers
    Make a temporary copy of the doent for the print session only.

    Unlock all layers. With Page Tool shift-select the pages you do not wish to
    print. Hit Delete and OK in the confirming dialog.

    Now print all pages.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  4. #4

    Hi John,

    You are right, I am using a Mac. I'm amazed this is the case. I love Freehand but it's well behind the "8 ball" on this issue.

    Thanks

  5. #5

    John J Nosal wrote:
    > I could be wrong here but it sounds like you are running on a Macintosh. If
    > that is the case then you are right there is no way to print a random page
    > range from FreeHand.
    >
    > I am pretty sure this is an option with most printer on the Windows platform.
    This is not a limitation of the Mac OS. Word 98 on the Mac (released in
    1997) had a page range feature as does Word X. In the print dialog you enter
    any page numbers separated by commas.

    It would be very nice to see this in the next version of FreeHand.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  6. #6

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    > John J Nosal wrote:
    >
    > > I could be wrong here but it sounds like you are running on a Macintosh. If
    > > that is the case then you are right there is no way to print a random page
    > > range from FreeHand.
    > >
    > > I am pretty sure this is an option with most printer on the Windows platform.
    >
    > This is not a limitation of the Mac OS. Word 98 on the Mac (released in
    > 1997) had a page range feature as does Word X. In the print dialog you enter
    > any page numbers separated by commas.

    Quark XPress and (IIRC) Adobe PageMaker for Mac also allow arbitrary
    page ranges, e.g. "1-6, 9, 12-15". But in all such cases the option
    is provided in the application's own Print dialog, while FH relies on
    the OS-supplied dialog for specifying the range. If Windows
    printer-drivers usually allow entry of page numbers beyond the basic
    "From: __ To: __", then there is indeed a difference between the two
    platforms in this respect.

    --Odysseus
    Odysseus Guest

  7. #7

    Odysseus wrote:
    > Quark XPress and (IIRC) Adobe PageMaker for Mac also allow arbitrary
    > page ranges, e.g. "1-6, 9, 12-15". But in all such cases the option
    > is provided in the application's own Print dialog, while FH relies on
    > the OS-supplied dialog for specifying the range.
    How would you want FH to handle pages of various sizes within the same
    doent? Would you center pages smaller than the paper? Would you tile
    large pages?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  8. #8

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    > How would you want FH to handle pages of various sizes within the same
    > doent? Would you center pages smaller than the paper? Would you tile
    > large pages?

    That's a good question, and of course it applies equally well to
    consecutive ranges of pages. I'm pretty satisfied with FH8's
    behaviour, where they all come out centred on the paper, the program
    giving its usual warning if *any* of them won't fit. With automatic
    tiling turned on, it would be nice if the pages that didn't need to
    be tiled were centred on the paper as usual; I've also noticed that
    when using Automatic orientation FH doesn't necessarily choose the
    most efficient method of tiling -- e.g. a letter-size page printed
    with marks takes four letter-size tiles instead of just two. It would
    also be helpful if FH were to add extra alignment marks when tiling,
    _ la_ Quark XPress. Another QX-like feature I miss is a preview of
    the tiling arrangement. Does FHMX act the same way as FH8?

    I haven't experimented with this situation very much, because I've
    found that when creating PostScript files to pass on to Farrukh
    Imposition Publisher, which handles a fair bit of our output, I have
    to print each size separately: IP only looks at the first page of a
    file and assumes all the rest to be of the same size. (Paper sizes
    are generally irrelevant to IP; it ps the page-setup code to
    determine the doent's original page size, stripping out the marks
    and labels before adding its own. But I always choose a paper size
    large enough to contain the doent pages 'just in case'; I'm not
    sure how it would handle a job set up on too small a sheet.)

    --Odysseus
    Odysseus Guest

  9. #9

    Not a real elegant workaround, but a serviceable one I sometimes use:
    Assuming your pages are arranged in a single row, you can zoom way out,
    use the Page Tool to select the pages of a row you want to print, and
    drag the upward until they are above about the halfway mark of the pages
    you don't want to print. If you look at the Doent Inspector, you will
    see that they have re-numbered, with the...um,...northernmost pages
    numbered before the others. If you do this with Snap to Grid on, you can
    easily return them to their original positions after printing (or simply undo).

    JET
    James E. Talmage Guest

  10. #10

    Hi James,

    Thanks for that. That's a great way around it!