Professional Web Applications Themes

Printing on a LJ5 SI under Solaris 9... - Sun Solaris

I am ready to be committed... Does anyone have any insight into a fix for my problem??? Here's the situation: I have an HP Laserjet 5 Si/PS printer that has 2 Windows 2000 machines printing to it, and one Sun Solaris9 box (an Ultra30). The Windows machines print MS Office doents (Letter size, tray 2) and AutoCad drawings (11x17, tray 3). The problem I am having is with the unix print jobs using the wrong tray of paper. All of my unix jobs get sent to the default tray for the HP, which is tray 3. I have seen numerous ...

  1. #1

    Default Printing on a LJ5 SI under Solaris 9...

    I am ready to be committed... Does anyone have any insight into a fix
    for my problem???

    Here's the situation:

    I have an HP Laserjet 5 Si/PS printer that has 2 Windows 2000 machines
    printing to it, and one Sun Solaris9 box (an Ultra30). The Windows
    machines print MS Office doents (Letter size, tray 2) and AutoCad
    drawings (11x17, tray 3).

    The problem I am having is with the unix print jobs using the wrong tray
    of paper. All of my unix jobs get sent to the default tray for the
    HP, which is tray 3. I have seen numerous posts on a -o tray2 option,
    but it doesn't seem to work for me (I may not be issuing it correctly).

    Basically, the lp command that I want to use in plain english would be
    something like:

    lp -d MY_HP -o tray2 -o nobanner

    I can't get it to work though!!! I do have the hppi software from HP
    loaded so that I can configure the HP printer.

    Finally, are queues and printers considered one and the same under
    unix? It seems that some commands want me to chose a printer name,
    whereas other commands or interfaces refer to the same name as the queue?

    Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

    Here's the config of my printer:

    HP Laserjet 5 SI, with PS installed
    Ethernet interface installed, and configured with IP
    96MB RAM
    Tray 1 = external, manual feed
    Tray 2 = internal, top drawer conaining letter size paper (cannot
    physically accomodate the 11x17 in this tray)
    Tray 3 = internal, bottom drawer containing 11 x 17 paper (default tray).
    Duplexer installed, and printer is configured to print duplex by default.
    Using the parallel interface is not an option for us.

    Here's more info:

    Ultra30 acting as print server. only two accounts on it, root and
    myself. I only need a single queue since I am the only unix user here.

    Thanks

    Richard
    nt (insert the missing 'e' in the TDL)

    Richard Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printing on a LJ5 SI under Solaris 9...

    In article <nt>,
    Richard Santink <nt> wrote:

    This will only work if you've installed the HP JetAdmin software which
    puts a special printer filter in place that understands the "-o tray2"
    syntax.

    I searched their site and the Web JetAdmin they had there didn't support
    Solaris, only Billyware and 2 Linux distros. I also looked up drivers
    and software associated with your printer on the hp site and only Mac
    and PC drivers were mentioned. But, there's hope. Googling turned up
    this link:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pname
    OID=18924&prodName=hp+jd+printer+installer+for+Sol aris&locale=en_US&taskI
    d=8418&taskName=download+drivers+%26+software&prod TypeId=13037&prodSeries
    Id=27351&prodSeriesName=hp+jd+printer+installer+fo r+Solaris&

    If you can't get the JetAdmin software for Solaris, you'll have to use
    separate queues for each tray.

    Print queues are contructs that direct output to either a
    locally-attached device or to remote printer on another system.
    Networked printers are a special case of a local printer that uses a
    special application (e.g. hpnp or whatever, depending on the vendor)
    that connect to network printer's IP address and sends the output.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Richard Santink <nt> writes:

    You probably didn't set up the printer on the Solaris 9 machine
    with HP's Jetdirect for Solaris software, and those numerous posts
    explain.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  4. #4

    "Michael Vilain <net>" writes:

    >This will only work if you've installed the HP JetAdmin software which
    >puts a special printer filter in place that understands the "-o tray2"
    >syntax.
    >
    >I searched their site and the Web JetAdmin they had there didn't support
    >Solaris, only Billyware and 2 Linux distros.
    >[/ref]

    That's because you looked up the wrong name. It's not Jetadmin, it's
    Jetdirect (yes, the same as the print server cards/boxes).

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  5. #5

    <Michael Vilain <net>> wrote in message

    > This will only work if you've installed the HP JetAdmin software which
    > puts a special printer filter in place that understands the "-o tray2"
    > syntax.
    >
    > I searched their site and the Web JetAdmin they had there didn't support
    > Solaris, only Billyware and 2 Linux distros. I also looked up drivers
    > and software associated with your printer on the hp site and only Mac
    > and PC drivers were mentioned. But, there's hope. Googling turned up
    > this link:
    >
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pname
    > OID=18924&prodName=hp+jd+printer+installer+for+Sol aris&locale=en_US&taskI
    > d=8418&taskName=download+drivers+%26+software&prod TypeId=13037&prodSeries
    > Id=27351&prodSeriesName=hp+jd+printer+installer+fo r+Solaris&[/ref]

    Thanks Michael, I checked it out, and it turns out it is the same software
    I'm using (based on the package name, anyhow.. SOLe134.PKG). I did dig up
    something since that has worked, and it is using an option to specify page
    size, rather than tray. Then I only have to make sure that the printer
    trays are configured correctly.

    So, in my case in turns out I needed the "-o letter" option, rather than the
    tray option. It still bugs me that the HP site leads me to believe that
    with the hppi program I can use -o tray2!!

    Thanks again!

    Richard

    Courtney Guest

  6. #6

    "Greg Andrews" <com> wrote in message

    > You probably didn't set up the printer on the Solaris 9 machine
    > with HP's Jetdirect for Solaris software, and those numerous posts
    > explain.[/ref]

    Actually I did use the HP software, although it appears I used it
    incorrectly.

    Thanks for the replies,

    Richard

    Courtney Guest

  7. #7

    "Courtney & Richard Santink" <nt> writes:

    HP numbers the trays in a way that can seem strange. Have you tried
    -o tray 4 and -o tray5 ?

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  8. #8

    com (Greg Andrews) writes:

    >HP numbers the trays in a way that can seem strange. Have you tried
    >-o tray 4 and -o tray5 ?
    >[/ref]

    I meant -o tray4 (and forgot to mention -o tray3).

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  9. #9

    I haven't, but I will check to see if it works...

    Thanks,

    Richard

    Greg Andrews wrote:

    >>HP numbers the trays in a way that can seem strange. Have you tried
    >>-o tray 4 and -o tray5 ?
    >>[/ref]
    >

    > I meant -o tray4 (and forgot to mention -o tray3).
    >
    > -Greg[/ref]

    Richard Guest