Professional Web Applications Themes

printing user-friendly sheets - last chance to save me! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

thanks to the help regarding my pdf printing question last month. i now know i can't do it... i still have a job, tho, so ... i have thought for a long time (hence the delayed response) over this problem. what i have is a scrollable table of ten products (in the same scrolled window) each product has a picture, a code and some prices in a tabbed list (so it's not just text, you see) - under each product section there needs to be a button, that, when clicked, activates the print window and prints a sheet of A4 ...

  1. #1

    Default printing user-friendly sheets - last chance to save me!

    thanks to the help regarding my pdf printing question last month. i now know i can't do it...
    i still have a job, tho, so ...

    i have thought for a long time (hence the delayed response) over this problem.

    what i have is a scrollable table of ten products (in the same scrolled window) each product has a picture, a code and some prices in a tabbed list (so it's not just text, you see) - under each product section there needs to be a button, that, when clicked, activates the print window and prints a sheet of A4 out with only the relevant product info and a company logo at the top.

    ok. i'll have to create 10 different doents in dreamweaver, drop the info and logo on and name them differently: "product_01.html" "product_02.html" etc. - that's fine - i can do that.

    SO, the 'main' doent (with the list on) is open in the browser - the client wants the customer to press a 'print info' button under the first product info and "product_01.html" prints out of printer WITHOUT THE CLIENT OPENING OR SEEING THIS DOENT - that's the important thing and one that's got me stuck (the default browser's 'print window box' can come up on screen - that is not a problem).

    i am not good at HTML (so please forgive the incorrectness of the codes etc but hopefully someone could tidy it up or say i'm on the right lines: (or not)

    this is route one: each button on 'main ' doent has code. something like:

    Onclick=print.doc ("product_01.html") it targets the doent and prints it. Voila!

    now that code seems simple but i don't think its possible. so what about: (route two);

    button on 'main' doent does open the doent "product_01.html" but BEHIND main doent (unseen), prints it and closes it. viewer non-the-wiser.

    so the code may look a BIT like: (no laughing, OK?)
    main doent has a button under first product with the code:
    Onclick= Openbrowserwindow ("product_01.html")

    the doent "product_01.html" has some code that reads:
    beforeOnload=focus(behind)
    Onload=print.thiswindow
    Onprint=close.thiswindow

    it's a bit long winded this message but i wanted to be a bit specific. if you are still reading this i hope you are the one with the answer!

    many thanks

    Le Grand jojo
    "GOD CREATED THE UNIVERSE - BUT DIED IN THE EXPLOSION"

    grand jojo webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Does the client have a real reason for using a print button on the web page?
    'PRINTING' is a standard feature of pretty much any program that may be on
    the end-user's computer. They know how to print things. If the issue is
    formatting, look into using Print Style Sheets. This will allow you to
    selectively choose which page elements are sent to the printer and how they
    will look without having to create separate print pages.

    As for getting this to work without the pop-up print dialogue, I don't think
    there is anything you can do. This is an application/OS level function...not
    a web page function.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  3. #3

    I think i understand what you want to do.... this
    [url]http://www.billowsprotocol.com/html_contact.htm[/url]
    but I cant find the source code at the moment.

    Will post it when i find it.

    Sir Sixx Guest

  4. #4

    hello darrel

    the pop-up to print window box to appear is fine. that's not an issue.

    problem is the list on the page. each listed product has its own print button (that's ten buttons on the same page - each button printing out a related product - it's like a MORE INFO button that opens a seperate browser except that the client doesn't WANT it to open another window just print it out!). so as you scroll down looking at the products - you can say "ok i'll print that out and have a look at it later" but you can continue looking at the main stuff on screen

    using the print button on the browser is no good neither is 'command_p' it will print

    but i can use CSS style sheets to isolate these ten different sections? is that complicated?

    many thanks
    grand jojo

    grand jojo webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    You might want to try something like

    <link href="page2.htm" media="print">

    Although, it'll probably only work in IE

    --
    Jules
    -----

    Julian Roberts Guest

  6. #6

    > it's like a MORE INFO button that opens a seperate browser except that the
    client doesn't
    > WANT it to open another window just print it out!).
    But what if the end-user doesn't want to print it, but just view it? Or save
    the file to their computer? Or email the information to someone? Or link to
    it? Or maybe print it, but needs the print dialogue to choose the proper
    network printer? Or needs the dialogue to choose the appropraite tray in the
    printer, or orientation, or print style, or...well, you get my point.

    Yea, the client is 'always right' but sometimes you really need to try as
    hard as you can to educate the client.

    Like I said, most people know how to print something, so they'd naturally
    just click MORE INFO then print it.
    > using the print button on the browser is no good neither is 'command_p' it
    will print

    Well, if the client is beligerant, what can you do? ;o)
    > but i can use CSS style sheets to isolate these ten different sections? is
    that complicated?

    Well, I don't think that will address your specific issue, unfortunately.
    The issue here is that your client wants to bend the rules of how web
    browsing is supposed to work, so I'm not sure what the solution would be.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  7. #7

    Hi,

    Okay here we go.
    On your print button, your link needs to be javascript:print()

    Then in your header you need this:
    <Link rel=alternate media=print href="doc_name.html">

    Just change the doc_name to your file name and your away.

    FYI - If the user presses the print button in their browser they will get
    the same doent you specify in the header.

    Hope this helps

    Mark

  8. #8

    "grand jojo" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote in news:bfld0c$81n$1
    forums.macromedia.com:
    > cheers
    > grand jojo
    The Lord Supreme ZOotian?