Professional Web Applications Themes

Printing Very Large Poster-size images - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Recently I saw a demonstration of a very large print out using Photoshop Elements 2.0. The photo subject was a Photo Merged image of a person's home, and the resulting print out was using a 4 x 6 matrix of 8 X 10 inch photo paper sheets (printed image was 32" x 60"). While this printed output required manual placement of the 24 individual pages (taped on the back size to hold them together), and considering this method was likely not too cost wise (think of the color ink required), I am very interested to know a technique for creating ...

  1. #1

    Default Printing Very Large Poster-size images

    Recently I saw a demonstration of a very large print out using Photoshop Elements 2.0. The photo subject was a Photo Merged image of a person's home, and the resulting print out was using a 4 x 6 matrix of 8 X 10 inch photo paper sheets (printed image was 32" x 60"). While this printed output required manual placement of the 24 individual pages (taped on the back size to hold them together), and considering this method was likely not too cost wise (think of the color ink required), I am very interested to know a technique for creating such an effect. Unfortunately, I was not able to contact the person who presented the demo referenced above.

    I have created a photo merge image which is 67" wide by 14" high. I figure I can produce a printed output which consists of a matrix of 2 high x 9 wide of the 8 x 10 inch pages of photo paper. My question therefore, is to know of any simple technique to create such a large output print. If not within the actual capabilities of Elements-2, then perhaps someone can suggest some manipulative tricks to accomplish my goal.

    Any response to net would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Mike Pilgrim
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Mike_J_Pilgrim@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Printing Very Large Poster-size images

    Mike,

    If your printer isn't a wide carriage type which can use paper from a roll, it might be worth looking into Kinkos or somesuch, IMHO.

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Although I have never used this feature, my HP printer will allow me to print photographs on multiple pages. However, I think the dimensions are fixed so I don't know if I would be able to print out something as large as you have created. I have a rather large panorama photograph as well that I would like to have printed. If you think you will be doing a lot of this kind of printing it might be worth looking into purchasing one of the printers that accepts roll paper. However, if you are only going to be doing an occasional panorama of this magnitude you might be just as wise to find a photo lab that could print it for you. Using a lab would probably be more cost-effective as well.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Mike

    HP feature for this is called "Tiling". (at least on the four HP's that I
    use or have used).

    You have one image open and then under print, (click file / print /
    properties / features tab), choose "tiling" and select how many tiles,
    ....2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5. I do not think it will work unless you use a
    standard size to start with like 8 1/2 X 11, or if you have a wide format
    printer then larger.

    I have used this and there are margins on the individual papers so it is
    easy to cut off just one side (the right margin for instance) and use the
    other white paper margin for a glue stick. Don't cut any margins off the
    outside edge pieces (pages) because it makes it easier to frame or even pin
    to the wall.

    I have a 4X4 hanging on my office wall (30" X 40" appx) and from 2 or 3
    feet away it is extremely difficult to tell that it is actually 16 pages put
    together.

    So the 67"X14" picture you have will not work with tiling. It must fall
    within your printers capabilities. (I just use an 8 x 10) You might
    however be able to print that picture on banner paper but would have to
    resize the 14" dimension to the width of your printer.

    Pete

    Pete_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Message to Pete. I think you have solved the problem for me. I'll be anxious to try "tiling" as you have suggested. I believe that is the answer. Thanks Pete.
    Mike_J_Pilgrim@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I'm glad I'm able to print 2'x 100' panoramas now, at least theoretically.
    Although, at 300ppi, this would be a 108 Gb file.... ;)

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Leen, the limit in Photoshop is 30,000 pixels by 30,000 pixels, so I think
    that limits you to 100 inches, not 100 feet - or did you mean inches with
    the ' symbol? (Convention in US is " for inches, ' for feet)

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Chuck,

    I happen to know the limitations of Photoshop thanks to an earlier posting on this wonderful forum.
    And I really meant feet. However, it took me some time to remember how you Americans typed it. The number of 100' is according to Epson the length of my printer paper, although I must admit I never checked it. My studio is too small.

    BTW, I think it is time you Americans go metric like the rest of the civilised world; even the British are trying to. ;-)

    I didnot expect anyeone to take this previous posting seriously.
    At least I cannot imagine YOU, the living Photoshop knowledge base, did.
    ;-)

  9. #9

    Leen, I should have known better.... :-)

    Chuck

    p.s. Re metric, I'm sure you're right, although as a part-time builder of
    houses I would be faced with a very large conversion of tools and
    techniques - many of which I have only recently learned!

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    No prob doing 2 foot x 100 foot image in PS7.
    As long as you can live with 12ppi :-)

    Mac
    Mac_McDougald@adobeforums.com Guest