Professional Web Applications Themes

Prints From Slides -- HELP - Photography

just had my first batch of slides developed (Fuji Velvia) and they all look MAGNIFICENT. so off i went to the photolab to have a few prints made. waited a (long) week for them to scan and (digitally) print. picked them up today and i am very letdown. all the shadow detail is gone! WHY?? the prints, overall, look very good. they dont look under/overexposed. great color. better, probably than i've ever gotten from regular print film. but wheni compare the print to the slide it was made from, most if not all of the detail in the shadows is ...

  1. #1

    Default Prints From Slides -- HELP

    just had my first batch of slides developed
    (Fuji Velvia) and they all look MAGNIFICENT.

    so off i went to the photolab to have a few
    prints made. waited a (long) week for them to
    scan and (digitally) print. picked them up
    today and i am very letdown.

    all the shadow detail is gone!
    WHY??
    the prints, overall, look very good.
    they dont look under/overexposed. great color.
    better, probably than i've ever gotten from regular
    print film.

    but wheni compare the print to the slide it was made from,
    most if not all of the detail in the shadows is gone.

    the slides, under magnification, are breathtaking.
    the prints, however, look terrible by comparison.

    is this normal? or did my photolab print them too dark?
    and if they were to print for the shadow detail, would my
    highlights wash out?

    any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks in advance,
    -tony

    tony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Prints From Slides -- HELP

    "tony" <antoniogattahotmail.com> wrote in message
    > just had my first batch of slides developed
    > (Fuji Velvia) and they all look MAGNIFICENT.
    >
    > so off i went to the photolab to have a few
    > prints made. waited a (long) week for them to
    > scan and (digitally) print. picked them up
    > today and i am very letdown.
    >
    > all the shadow detail is gone!
    > WHY??
    > the prints, overall, look very good.
    > they dont look under/overexposed. great color.
    > better, probably than i've ever gotten from regular
    > print film.
    >
    > but wheni compare the print to the slide it was made from,
    > most if not all of the detail in the shadows is gone.
    >
    > the slides, under magnification, are breathtaking.
    > the prints, however, look terrible by comparison.
    >
    > is this normal? or did my photolab print them too dark?
    > and if they were to print for the shadow detail, would my
    > highlights wash out?
    >
    > any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    > -tony

    I had the same problem, got 1 hand printed and it was excellent, got the
    same slide digitally printed and you would think they were two different
    photos.
    Digital printing is crap, get them hand printed , will cost a lot more
    unfortunatley, but your prints will be excellent and a truer representation
    of the original slide

    Brian Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:34:11 GMT, "tony" <antoniogattahotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >just had my first batch of slides developed
    >(Fuji Velvia) and they all look MAGNIFICENT.
    >
    >so off i went to the photolab to have a few
    >prints made. waited a (long) week for them to
    >scan and (digitally) print. picked them up
    >today and i am very letdown.

    Don't be too disappointed. I've had the same lab (in NYC) print the
    same image on several different occasions.

    Each print looks different. Some are great. Some are garbage.

    Even when I hand them a print and say "match this" -- it just doesn't
    work.

    Guess that's why I built my own darkroom.

    -- JC
    J C Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator