Professional Web Applications Themes

Prints out of focus - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I just started using Photoshop Elements. I printed a picture from a file, and it came out a little blurry. I then printed the exact same file with Paint Shop Pro, and it was very sharp. I then went back and reprinted it with Photoshop Elements, and it was even more blurry than the first one! How can this be??? The printer is Epson 2200, the print is in B&W. Thanks for any helps or ideas on this!...

  1. #1

    Default Prints out of focus

    Linda_Bulmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Prints out of focus

    Did you indeed print it at exactly the same size in all cases?
    (in inches on the paper?)

    Mac
    Mac_McDougald@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, exactly the same size.
    Linda_Bulmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I think I know what's happening. Photoshop Elements is printing at 72pixelperinch.

    Go to Image>Resize>Image Size. What does your resolution say? If it is 72, that will explain the problem. I hope. Change it to 200 and see what happens when you print your image.
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    That's likely the case if using picture package.

  6. #6

    Mark and Mac,

    You guys are good! I WAS using picture package, and the resolution was 72. When I pull up the picture on its own, the resolution is 2272 x 1704. How does that equate to using the 200 number?
    Linda_Bulmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    2272x1704 is the total pixel count (dimensions) and not the resolution. The resolution is pixels per inch. Change your resolution to at least 200 and you should get a good print. Although I'm not sure what is the ideal for your particular situation.

    Perhaps someone else can suggest the resolution ranges that would be good for the size of your image and your pixel dimensions.
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    The trouble with Picture Package is that it's difficult to know when you
    have started using interpolation (UPsampling), unless you do the math.
    Very similar to functions performed by crop tool w/ppi specified.

    Same with the print options in PaintShopPro.

    2272x1704, without interpolation, yields:

    7 x 5.2 324 ppi
    7.5 x 5.6 300 ppi
    10 x 7.5 227 ppi

    Just to factor 3 of the infinite possibilities.

    So, IOW, if you printed a 10" print from Picture Package at 300ppi, you'd
    be upsampling (adding interpolated pixels).

    On the other hand, if your print looks nice enough for you, doesn't much
    matter whether you've used interpolation to output it or not, eh?

    --
    Mac McDougald
    Doogle Digital - www.doogle.com

  9. #9

    Mac- Question. I hope I don't confuse the issue but wouldn't you be able to tell if upsampling was occuring based on the width height data in image size window. I mean if it says the largest you can print at 300 ppi is say 4.725 X 6.75 wouldn't you be okay if your print size stayed within this range? I assume that upsampling would occur if you printed a 5 x 7 but not a 4 x 6. Is this line of thought flawed?
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    You are correct in your assumptions.
    Whatever Image Size dialogue reports as you change either ppi or print
    dimensions (with Resample OFF) is an UNinterpolated image, using the
    existing original image pixels only.

  11. #11

    Mac. Thanks for posting back on that question.

    Terri
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    I am a total digital-imaging neophyte. I see what you're saying about pixel resolution in proportion to change in image size. So, if I use Picture Package and the images are going to be, say 5 x 7, then I guess I should first plug in the desired printed size under Image>resize>image size to see what the pixel resolution ends up for that size without resampling the image. Then when I go to Picture Package, I plug that number into the resolution box.

    Do I have it right?
    Linda_Bulmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    That will work.

    Note that slight resampling may not hurt your image at all, in some cases
    can even help up to a certain extent and within certain confines.

    And of course, you haven't actually changed your file by using Picture
    Package, you've only output it to printer. So, regardless of what you
    choose to do in PP, your actual image file is still intact.

  14. #14

    Wow, I just tried all this out. I used the Picture Perfect again and set the pixel resolution to 324, since I had two 5 x 7 images. WOW! They look great! They make me glad I'm switching from film to digital.

    Thanks so much for your help! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions, but in the meantime, I can't wait to go out and shoot more pictures.
    Linda_Bulmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Very good, Linda...thanks for the report.

  16. #16

    My problem is similar to Linda Bulmer's Picture Package printing. I have arranged many sheets of pictures via Picture Package and filed them in psd. When I return to retreive these
    from psd for printing, many of them print out beautifully but some print out blurred. Any suggestions as to what is occuring with those coming out blurred?
    Darvin_L._Miller@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Darvin-

    Check and see if all the pictures you are printing on the page have the same resolution. If they are set at different resolutions, this might explain why some print out clear while others are blurry.
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    They do have the same resolutions, however, I am having
    difficulty in determining the correct resolution for the sheets
    that come out blurred. Thanks for the comment.
    Darvin_L._Miller@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Darvin, did you see my comment in the other thread? Need to change Picture
    Package default resolution from 72 to 200+.

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest