Professional Web Applications Themes

problem changing 'all' text color - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi! When I change the text (specifically, it's color) after Selecting a (DW4) Table, much of the text doesn't change color. When I examine the code, BOTH colors are on those Rows. How can I fix this? (That is, how can I get the other color's html out in an automated way) Thanks! MC...

  1. #1

    Default problem changing 'all' text color

    magic_coyote webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: problem changing 'all' text color

    Select the table or cell and FIRST, open the CSS panel (Shift/F11), choose
    the HTML Styles tab and click Cear Selection Style and Clear Paragraph
    Style. This should clear out any previously set formatting...so you can now
    apply new settings without the old ones hanging around.

    Hope this helps...
    Dian ~

    "magic_coyote" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi! When I change the text (specifically, it's color) after Selecting a
    (DW4) Table, much of the text doesn't change color. When I examine the
    code, BOTH colors are on those Rows. How can I fix this? (That is, how can
    I get the other color's html out in an automated way) Thanks! MC

    Dian ~ Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Dian! It almost helped (some settings cleared), but still none of the 'problem' text will change color. Those lines each have this html:

    style='font-size:10.0pt;color:#EAEAEA'>

    (the GUI box shows #000000, but the text looks #EAEAEA)

    (I've got hundreds of tables and rows.)(I tried clearing not just HTML Styles but CSS Styles too but no help.)
    TIA,
    MC

    magic_coyote webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    which do you want to use?
    Font tags, or CSS?

    > style='font-size:10.0pt;color:#EAEAEA'>
    Would have to see the page- but maybe most of the problem is the mingling of
    both methods- and maybe improper nesting of the tags- or overlapping
    selections...

    Really suggest just using CSS. Banish font tags from the page.

    suggest doing a find and replace- and stripping all font tags.
    Find in source: </?font[^>]*>
    Replace : leave empty.
    Put a checkmark in "Use RegExp"

    Then, set a default CSS style for the TD and P tags- that will take care of
    better than 95% of the text probably.
    You can put it in the head- or preferable is to put it in an external css
    file that's linked. (because then you can link that same CSS stylesheet on
    other pages in the site)

    for text that should be a different color/size create and then apply a
    different style.
    If it's the entire contents of a TD or a P, click in the text- then
    right-click on the rightmost <P> tag on the Quick-Tag Selector at bottom of
    design window. When you right-click, choose "Set Class" and apply the
    desired one.

    For changing only part of a string of text- select it, and right-click and
    choose "CSS Styles" and pick the style you want. That will wrap the
    selected text in <span class="chosenclass">text</span>

    Strongly suggest not using inline styles-
    If there are hundreds of of tables and rows- it is going to add to the
    clutter and code weight.
    They are depreciated, and really make the code as messy as using font tags.

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  5. #5

    Hi MC:

    I am sure that Alan won't mind me doing a cut and paste of a recent post he
    replied to- asking a similar question:

    ----cut and paste-------

    if you just want to strip font tags-

    Make a backup copy of site folder. (good in any find and replace operation-
    but also- you may need or want to have the older page open and compare to
    newer page to see what color things were- when applying css styles)

    save this seach pattern--
    find in source: </?font[^>]*>

    replace with : leave empty.

    Put checkmark in "use regexp"
    ---------------end cut and paste------------

    Make sure you backup first !!
    Hope this helps

    Nadia

    --
    Nadia
    PerreLink Design:

    | "magic_coyote" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    | > Thanks, Dian! It almost helped (some settings cleared), but still none
    of
    | the 'problem' text will change color. Those lines each have this html:

    color="#000000"><span
    | > style='font-size:10.0pt;color:#EAEAEA'>
    | >
    | > (the GUI box shows #000000, but the text looks #EAEAEA)
    | >
    | > (I've got hundreds of tables and rows.)(I tried clearing not just HTML
    | Styles but CSS Styles too but no help.)
    | > TIA,
    | > MC

    Nadia :TWB: Guest