Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem communicating with AIT tape drive. - Linux / Unix Administration

I have an AIT drive that I can't communicate with anymore. It's been a few weeks since I last used it. My Sun can't see the drive. I'm running Solaris 2.6. I haven't changed devices or anything. I haven't touched the machine physically. I did a <boot-r> to reconfigure the system. When I type <dmesg>, the drive is not in the list. I shutdown the machine and did a <probe-scsi-all> . I can see the drive. It's on a chain with two other tape drives. Both of those drives work fine. Can anyone give some advice on what I should ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem communicating with AIT tape drive.

    I have an AIT drive that I can't communicate with anymore. It's been a few
    weeks since I last used it. My Sun can't see the drive. I'm running
    Solaris 2.6.
    I haven't changed devices or anything. I haven't touched the machine
    physically.
    I did a <boot-r> to reconfigure the system. When I type <dmesg>, the drive
    is not in the list.
    I shutdown the machine and did a <probe-scsi-all> . I can see the drive.
    It's on a chain with two other tape drives. Both of those drives work fine.

    Can anyone give some advice on what I should try to do to get the drive up
    and running again.

    I assume it's a software OS problem since I can see the drive with
    probe-scsi-all.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Peter

    Peter Cattaneo Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Problem communicating with AIT tape drive.

    [email]Cypherpunknyc.rr.com[/email] wrote:
    > I've never heard of having to remove /dev entries to get
    > a reconfiguration boot to work. If you're lucky, devfsadm
    > can do it while the system is up.
    That would depend on his OS version. It may not gave devfsadm.
    > FYI, to initiate a reconfiguration reboot from root,
    > type 'reboot - -r'.
    That's only one of a few ways.

    > Actually, no he didn't.
    He said "Both of drives work fine.". Is that not clear enough
    for you?
    > "Michael wrote:
    > > What happens if you use mt to get status on the device file?
    > >
    > "Anythony Manic" <mchotmail.com> wrote:
    > > How is that going to work?
    >
    > Since the OP said the probe-scsi-all could see the drive,
    > it was a reasonable suggestion to make. The OP didn't post
    > about "device doesn't exist" until a _subsequent_ post.
    mt isn't going to work is there's no device when the OS is running.
    > "Michael wrote:

    > > [pay no attention to that little man behind the curtain from down under.
    > > he's already in my killfile]
    >
    > Anythony is the Official Pest of CUS.
    Sorry Guy but its still you and Der Kook.
    > Given his above responses, one wonders why he even tries
    > to answer questions here.
    I see you still don't have anything useful to contribute so you
    make off-topic posts and talk about rabbits.
    > Anythony had no suggestions to make. He only posted to ridicule.
    > Hey, Anythony, care to make another ual crack about me?
    Still rabbiting on. Say, what do you do with your rabbit anyway?

    -am © 2003
    Anthony Mandic Guest

  4. #4

    Peter Cattaneo wrote:

    > No SCSI ID conflicts. The whole system hasn't been touched at all.
    > It was working a few months ago. Again, system hasn't been touched since it
    > was working.
    OK, post the output of probe-scsi-all. Let's have a look at
    the device listing. Also report what the actual SCSI IDs of
    the devices are.
    > When I attempt mt commands, it says
    > /dev/rmt/2: No such device or address
    Please post the output of "ls -l /dev/rmt/?".
    > Any other suggestions? Should I remove the 2* files from /dev/rmt and do a
    > boot -r?
    Not yet. Follow the links from /dev/rmt/? to the /devices
    directory. When you get there check to see if there are 3
    distinct "st" devices.
    > I thinking now the drive is bad...
    If it were, you'd get an OS message to that effect. It could
    just be that the link from /dev/rmt to /devices is broken.

    If all this checks out, Jörg Schilling has a SCSI tool that
    you can use to check the SCSI bus from the OS.

    -am © 2003
    Anthony Mandic Guest

  5. #5

    Here's the output requested.

    SCSIID TAPEDRIVE
    4 4mm
    5 8mm
    8 AIT

    :peter:/dev/rmt% ls -l /dev/rmt/?
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 May 23 2001 /dev/rmt/0 ->
    .../../devices/pci1f,2000/scsi1/st4,0:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 May 23 2001 /dev/rmt/1 ->
    .../../devices/pci1f,2000/scsi1/st5,0:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 May 23 2001 /dev/rmt/2 ->
    .../../devices/pci1f,2000/scsi1/st8,0:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Mar 13 12:35 /dev/rmt/3 ->
    .../../devices/pci1f,2000/scsi1/st0,0:

    :peter:/devices/pci1f,2000/scsi1% ls
    st0,0: st1,0: st2,0: st3,0: st4,0: st5,0:
    st6,0: st8,0:
    st0,0:b st1,0:b st2,0:b st3,0:b st4,0:b st5,0:b
    st6,0:b st8,0:b
    st0,0:bn st1,0:bn st2,0:bn st3,0:bn st4,0:bn st5,0:bn
    st6,0:bn st8,0:bn
    st0,0:c st1,0:c st2,0:c st3,0:c st4,0:c st5,0:c
    st6,0:c st8,0:c
    st0,0:cb st1,0:cb st2,0:cb st3,0:cb st4,0:cb st5,0:cb
    st6,0:cb st8,0:cb
    st0,0:cbn st1,0:cbn st2,0:cbn st3,0:cbn st4,0:cbn st5,0:cbn
    st6,0:cbn st8,0:cbn
    st0,0:cn st1,0:cn st2,0:cn st3,0:cn st4,0:cn st5,0:cn
    st6,0:cn st8,0:cn
    st0,0:h st1,0:h st2,0:h st3,0:h st4,0:h st5,0:h
    st6,0:h st8,0:h
    st0,0:hb st1,0:hb st2,0:hb st3,0:hb st4,0:hb st5,0:hb
    st6,0:hb st8,0:hb
    st0,0:hbn st1,0:hbn st2,0:hbn st3,0:hbn st4,0:hbn st5,0:hbn
    st6,0:hbn st8,0:hbn
    st0,0:hn st1,0:hn st2,0:hn st3,0:hn st4,0:hn st5,0:hn
    st6,0:hn st8,0:hn
    st0,0:l st1,0:l st2,0:l st3,0:l st4,0:l st5,0:l
    st6,0:l st8,0:l
    st0,0:lb st1,0:lb st2,0:lb st3,0:lb st4,0:lb st5,0:lb
    st6,0:lb st8,0:lb
    st0,0:lbn st1,0:lbn st2,0:lbn st3,0:lbn st4,0:lbn st5,0:lbn
    st6,0:lbn st8,0:lbn
    st0,0:ln st1,0:ln st2,0:ln st3,0:ln st4,0:ln st5,0:ln
    st6,0:ln st8,0:ln
    st0,0:m st1,0:m st2,0:m st3,0:m st4,0:m st5,0:m
    st6,0:m st8,0:m
    st0,0:mb st1,0:mb st2,0:mb st3,0:mb st4,0:mb st5,0:mb
    st6,0:mb st8,0:mb
    st0,0:mbn st1,0:mbn st2,0:mbn st3,0:mbn st4,0:mbn st5,0:mbn
    st6,0:mbn st8,0:mbn
    st0,0:mn st1,0:mn st2,0:mn st3,0:mn st4,0:mn st5,0:mn
    st6,0:mn st8,0:mn
    st0,0:n st1,0:n st2,0:n st3,0:n st4,0:n st5,0:n
    st6,0:n st8,0:n
    st0,0:u st1,0:u st2,0:u st3,0:u st4,0:u st5,0:u
    st6,0:u st8,0:u
    st0,0:ub st1,0:ub st2,0:ub st3,0:ub st4,0:ub st5,0:ub
    st6,0:ub st8,0:ub
    st0,0:ubn st1,0:ubn st2,0:ubn st3,0:ubn st4,0:ubn st5,0:ubn
    st6,0:ubn st8,0:ubn
    st0,0:un st1,0:un st2,0:un st3,0:un st4,0:un st5,0:un
    st6,0:un st8,0:un

    probe-scsi-all

    Initializing Memory -
    ok probe-scsi-all
    /pci1f,2000/scsi1
    Antares Micrystems, Inc.
    ============================
    PCI Single Channel LVD HBA
    SCSI-ID: 7
    Target 4
    Unit 0 Removable Tape Sony SDT-9000 0600
    Target 5
    Unit 0 Removable Tape Exabyte EXB-8505SMBANSH2 0098
    Target 8
    Unit 0 Removable Tape Sony SDX-500c 0107

    /pci1f,4000/scsi3,1

    Target 1
    Unit 0 Disk Fujitsu
    Target 2
    Unit 0 Disk Fujitsu
    Target 3
    Unit 0 Disk Fujitsu
    Target 4
    Unit 0 Disk Fujitsu

    /pci1f,4000/scsi3

    Target 0
    Unit 0 Dsk IBM
    Target 1
    Unit 0 Disk Fujitsu
    Target 6
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only Device Toshiba

    Thanks for your help everyone......

    "Anthony Mandic" <n3hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Peter Cattaneo wrote:
    > >
    > > No SCSI ID conflicts. The whole system hasn't been touched at all.
    > > It was working a few months ago. Again, system hasn't been touched
    since it
    > > was working.
    >
    > OK, post the output of probe-scsi-all. Let's have a look at
    > the device listing. Also report what the actual SCSI IDs of
    > the devices are.
    >
    > > When I attempt mt commands, it says
    > > /dev/rmt/2: No such device or address
    >
    > Please post the output of "ls -l /dev/rmt/?".
    >
    > > Any other suggestions? Should I remove the 2* files from /dev/rmt and
    do a
    > > boot -r?
    >
    > Not yet. Follow the links from /dev/rmt/? to the /devices
    > directory. When you get there check to see if there are 3
    > distinct "st" devices.
    >
    > > I thinking now the drive is bad...
    >
    > If it were, you'd get an OS message to that effect. It could
    > just be that the link from /dev/rmt to /devices is broken.
    >
    > If all this checks out, Jörg Schilling has a SCSI tool that
    > you can use to check the SCSI bus from the OS.
    >
    > -am © 2003

    Peter Cattaneo Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3f1fe91b.0news.syr.edu>,
    "Peter Cattaneo" <pkcattansyr.edu> writes:
    > Here's the output requested.
    >
    > SCSIID TAPEDRIVE
    > 4 4mm
    > 5 8mm
    > 8 AIT
    >
    >:peter:/dev/rmt% ls -l /dev/rmt/?
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 May 23 2001 /dev/rmt/0 ->
    > ../../devices/pci1f,2000/scsi1/st4,0:
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 May 23 2001 /dev/rmt/1 ->
    > ../../devices/pci1f,2000/scsi1/st5,0:
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 May 23 2001 /dev/rmt/2 ->
    > ../../devices/pci1f,2000/scsi1/st8,0:
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Mar 13 12:35 /dev/rmt/3 ->
    > ../../devices/pci1f,2000/scsi1/st0,0:
    The Solaris st driver doesn't handle tapes with scsi IDs in the range
    8-15 by default. You'll need to edit /kernel/drv/st.conf to uncomment
    the target 8 line (at least).

    And if you customized the st.conf to support the AIT drive you'll
    probably have to put that back in as well.

    While you said initially that nothing had changed, this looks like
    the st driver patch has been installed, which overwrote a customised
    st.conf file. (I've shot myself in the foot like this once.)

    --
    -Peter Tribble
    HGMP Computing Services

  7. #7

    Peter,

    Thanks for the information. I think this will be very helpful.
    After I edit the st.conf file, do I have to rebuild the kernel in some way?
    Can I just do a boot -r and see what happens?
    > And if you customized the st.conf to support the AIT drive you'll
    > probably have to put that back in as well
    Can you elaborate on this? I don't remember doing anything to this file.

    Thanks

    Peter

  8. #8

    Peter Cattaneo wrote:
    > Thanks for the information. I think this will be very helpful.
    > After I edit the st.conf file, do I have to rebuild the kernel in some way?
    Since you don't have any other SCSI devices on the same SCSI chain
    you won't have a conflict if you set the SCSI ID to 6 (or whatever
    else you prefer). That would be simpler than editing st.conf in the
    long run.
    > Can I just do a boot -r and see what happens?
    You'd need to do a reconfiguration reboot if you change the ID
    (or run devfsadm if you are on solaris 7 or higher).
    > > And if you customized the st.conf to support the AIT drive you'll
    > > probably have to put that back in as well
    > Can you elaborate on this? I don't remember doing anything to this file.
    If you've never changed st.conf, more than likely the SCSI ID was
    changed.

    -am © 2003
    Anthony Mandic Guest

  9. #9

    [email]Cypherpunknyc.rr.com[/email] wrote:
    > Then my statement of "if you're lucky" would apply.
    You're luck ran out the day you were born.

    > > > Actually, no he didn't.
    > >
    > > He said "Both of drives work fine.". Is that not clear enough
    > > for you?
    >
    > Apparently you couldn't handle the explanation I gave.
    Because it was incorrect.
    > Hey, I'm not the one who gets so many complaints about his
    > posts that I had to start slumming with a hotmail address
    I like to give Charlie Brown something to do (and because it
    apparently annoys you, all the better).
    > and the free Deutsche newserver. That be youz.
    Their expiration policy is 6 months. Which suits me just fine.
    Much better when fiddling with roaming access too.
    > > I see you still don't have anything useful to contribute so you
    > > make off-topic posts and talk about rabbits.
    >
    > Jealous about me making technical suggestions in this
    > thread, whilst you came up empty, eh?
    You're the one always shooting blanks. Why don't you give it
    a rest and let your rabbit post instead? I'm sure he's more
    entertaining (and I'd love to know what sticks to his fur).
    > I print out your posts and let him use it for litter, of course.
    Funny, my alpaca won't even wipe his on yours. He prefers
    Der Kook's posts.

    -am © 2003
    Anthony Mandic Guest

  10. #10

    In article <news-47022E.11452924072003news.tdl.com>,
    Michael Vilain <vilainspamcop.net> wrote:
    >In article <3f20065d.0news.syr.edu>,
    > "Peter Cattaneo" <pkcattansyr.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the information. I think this will be very helpful.
    >> After I edit the st.conf file, do I have to rebuild the kernel in some way?
    >> Can I just do a boot -r and see what happens?
    >
    >Yes, just reboot with -r to reconfigure the system. The Solaris kernel
    >doesn't need to be "rebuilt" (that's why SUN stopped shipping a full c
    >compiler).
    >

    >> > And if you customized the st.conf to support the AIT drive you'll
    >> > probably have to put that back in as well
    >> Can you elaborate on this? I don't remember doing anything to this file.
    >
    >more /kernel/drv/st.conf
    >
    >and read it. If your tape drive's SCSI INQ string is present ("Sony
    >SDT-9000", "Exabyte EXB-8505SMBANSH2", or "Sony SDX-500c") you may have
    >to modify the file to allow mt to communicate with the drive. The
    >vendor's web site sometimes has what entries need to be put into this
    >file. If not, try it unmodified. If you're lucky, it will work without
    >any mods. If it doesn't, contact Sony for more info.
    If you did have a customized st.conf file that was overwritten by the
    st driver patch, and if you have a backup of your system disk, then you
    could get the old st.conf file from your backup (this assumes that the
    backup was not on the AIT drive).

    What we have on our st.conf file is the following:

    tape-config-list=
    "SONY SDX-300C", "SONY AIT 8mm", "SONY_AIT",
    "SONY SDX-400C", "SONY AIT 8mm", "SONY_AIT",
    "SONY SDX-500C", "SONY AIT2 8mm", "SONY_AIT",
    "SONY SDX-700C", "SONY AIT3 8mm", "SONY_AIT";
    #
    SONY_AIT = 1,0x36,0,0xd679,4,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,3;
    #

    You would also have to uncomment the following lines:

    #name="st" class="scsi"
    # target=8 lun=0;

    --
    Tom Schulz