Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem compiling gcc 3.3. - Sun Solaris

Hi Experts: My two Solaris systems are Intel Solaris 8 10/00 MUed in February, recommended patches last week. I'm trying to install gcc 3.3 on my main development PC. This machine is where my Forte C++ Workshop lives. For gnu and other utility builds, I also have gnu C 2.95.2 from my companion disk. Before starting this build I source a script that identifies the path to gcc and sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I built gcc 3.3 a couple of weeks ago on my other Solaris 8 PC. I don't remember having any problems. I'm having trouble figuring what the error message ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem compiling gcc 3.3.

    Hi Experts:

    My two Solaris systems are Intel Solaris 8 10/00 MUed in February,
    recommended patches last week.

    I'm trying to install gcc 3.3 on my main development PC. This
    machine is where my Forte C++ Workshop lives. For gnu and other
    utility builds, I also have gnu C 2.95.2 from my companion disk.

    Before starting this build I source a script that identifies
    the path to gcc and sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

    I built gcc 3.3 a couple of weeks ago on my other Solaris 8 PC.
    I don't remember having any problems.

    I'm having trouble figuring what the error message is trying
    to tell me.

    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/install_dir/gcc/3.3

    < Uneventrul configure snipped >

    make bootstrap

    < hour and fifteen minutes of blabla snipped >

    creating gcj/libgcj-config.h
    linking ./include/posix.h to include/platform.h
    linking ./java/io/natFilePosix.cc to java/io/natFile.cc
    linking ./java/io/natFileDescriptorPosix.cc to java/io/natFileDescriptor.cc
    linking ./java/lang/PosixProcess.java to java/lang/ConcreteProcess.java
    linking ./java/lang/natPosixProcess.cc to java/lang/natConcreteProcess.cc
    linking ./include/boehm-gc.h to include/java-gc.h
    linking ./include/posix-threads.h to include/java-threads.h
    linking ./sysdep/i386/locks.h to sysdep/locks.h
    linking ./include/default-signal.h to include/java-signal.h
    Adding multilib support to Makefile in .
    multidirs=
    with_multisubdir=
    configuring in libltdl
    running /bin/sh ./configure --host=i386-pc-solaris2.8 --build=i386-pc-solaris2.8 --enable-multilib
    --with-gcc-version-trigger=/usr/local/utilities/gnu/source/gcc/3.3/gcc-3.3/gcc/version.c
    --prefix=/usr/local/install_dir/gcc/3.3 --with-target-subdir=i386-pc-solaris2.8
    --enable-ltdl-convenience --with-auxdir=/usr/local/utilities/gnu/source/gcc/3.3/gcc-3.3
    --cache-file=../../config.cache --srcdir=.
    configure: error: ./configure failed for libltdl
    make[1]: *** [configure-target-libjava] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/utilities/gnu/source/gcc/3.3/gcc-3.3'
    make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

    Hmm. "configure: error: ./configure failed for libltdl"

    Am I not identifying the path to libltdl?

    # echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    :/opt/sfw/lib:/usr/local/lib

    # ls /usr/local/lib/libltdl*
    /usr/local/lib/libltdl.a /usr/local/lib/libltdl.so.3
    /usr/local/lib/libltdl.la /usr/local/lib/libltdl.so.3.1.0
    /usr/local/lib/libltdl.so
    #

    That looks like just about any kind of libltdl a linker could want,
    in a directory identified in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

    I've captured this failed effort and a successful gcc 3.3 build on
    my other PC with the "script" utility. So I have detailed records.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks
    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem compiling gcc 3.3.

    In article <3F1E4D6E.4EAC6B6Caracnet.com>,
    Larry Lindstrom <larrylaracnet.com> wrote:
    >Hi Experts:
    >
    > My two Solaris systems are Intel Solaris 8 10/00 MUed in February,
    >recommended patches last week.
    >
    > I'm trying to install gcc 3.3 on my main development PC. This
    >machine is where my Forte C++ Workshop lives. For gnu and other
    >utility builds, I also have gnu C 2.95.2 from my companion disk.
    OK, the simplest way is to 'pkg-get -i gcc3' no mess involved.
    See [url]http://www.blastwave.org[/url]
    /wfr
    FREDRIK
    --
    Fredrik Lundholm
    dol ce.chalmers.se

    Fredrik Lundholm Guest

  3. #3

    Fredrik Lundholm wrote:
    > In article <3F1F82F1.347A3466aracnet.com>,
    > Larry Lindstrom <larrylaracnet.com> wrote:
    >

    >># time pkg-get -i gcc3
    >>No existing install of CSWgcc3 found. Installing...
    >

    >> Suggestions?
    >

    > Yes, you have an outdated catalog. Please do a 'pkg-get -U' and try again.
    >
    > Maybe pkg-get could be modified to compare its catalog (via a checksum)
    > each time you perform an install or upgrade.
    >
    > /wfr
    > Fredrik

    Also, please make sure you get the REV=2003.07.22 release, as I have
    just released a new set of packages for gcc3 today, and the mirrors may
    still be updating...

    /Andreas

    *** See [url]http://www.blastwave.org[/url] for easy to use packages for both ***
    *** Solaris SPARC and x86 ***

    Andreas Almroth Guest

  4. #4

    On 24 Jul 2003 08:22:14 GMT, [email]dolce.chalmers.se[/email] wrote:
    >In article <3F1F82F1.347A3466aracnet.com>,
    >Larry Lindstrom <larrylaracnet.com> wrote:
    >
    >># time pkg-get -i gcc3
    >>No existing install of CSWgcc3 found. Installing...
    >
    >> Suggestions?
    >
    >Yes, you have an outdated catalog. Please do a 'pkg-get -U' and try again.
    >
    >Maybe pkg-get could be modified to compare its catalog (via a checksum)
    >each time you perform an install or upgrade.
    compared to what checksum, though?
    If you dont mind the bandwidth, you may as well just alias
    pkg-get, to "pkg-get -U" :-)

    I didnt make that the default, to attempt to be nice to people with limited
    or high-latency bandwidth.

    --
    [url]http://www.blastwave.org/[/url] for solaris pre-packaged binaries with pkg-get
    Organized by the author of pkg-get

  5. #5

    Fredrik Lundholm wrote:

    > In article <3F1F82F1.347A3466aracnet.com>,
    > Larry Lindstrom <larrylaracnet.com> wrote:
    >
    > ># time pkg-get -i gcc3
    > >No existing install of CSWgcc3 found. Installing...
    >
    > > Suggestions?
    >
    > Yes, you have an outdated catalog. Please do a 'pkg-get -U' and try again.
    >
    > Maybe pkg-get could be modified to compare its catalog (via a checksum)
    > each time you perform an install or upgrade.
    Thanks again Fredrik:

    Like this?

    # pkg-get -U
    Getting catalog...
    --07:45:00-- [url]http://ibiblio.org:80/pub/packages/solaris/csw/unstable/i386/5.8/c[/url]
    atalog
    => `catalog'
    Connecting to ibiblio.org:80... connected!
    Length: 27,975 [text/plain]

    0K -> [100%]

    07:45:01 (62.66 KB/s) - `catalog' saved [27975/27975]

    gpg: /export/home/user/larryl/.gnupg: directory created
    gpg: new configuration file `/export/home/user/larryl/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
    gpg: keyring `/export/home/user/larryl/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
    gpg: keyring `/export/home/user/larryl/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
    gpg: Signature made Wed Jul 23 10:34:45 2003 PDT using DSA key ID <x>

    ERROR: catalog failed signature check (status 2)

    You need to install the public key, either manually,
    or automatically through a keyserver.
    For keyserver use, try one of
    echo keyserver search.keyserver.net >>/.gnupg/options
    echo keyserver search.keyserver.net >>/.gnupg/gpg.conf
    For manual install of the key (recommended), try
    wget [url]http://www.blastwave.org/mirrors.html[/url]
    gpg --import mirrors.html
    Catalog failed signature verify. Quitting.
    #

    I'm just getting into this security stuff, and a week or
    two ago I got ssh up so I can talk to my Linux box.

    Ssh can find the keys and certificates it needs, but I'm
    still getting ssl working so I can have a secure web connection
    for an order entry project I'm working on. I haven't yet setup
    the keys and certificates for openssl or gpg.

    Why does Blastwave need to know my identity to send gcc to
    me?

    I have an OpenSSL 0.9.6a installed so I'd like to upgrade.
    I can't get gcc 2.95.2 to build the new ssl, so I'm trying to
    get a copy of gcc 3.3.

    I'd appreciate any advice. I just want to get on with the
    project. What am I doing that is making this so difficult?

    I prefer to configure and compile utilities by hand. Using
    the "prefix=" config option to place my install where I want
    it, and remove the install by removing the directory when
    needed, and changing the associated symbolic links in
    "/usr/local" and "/usr/local/bin".

    I have two copies of Apache, 2.0.46 built with no SSL, and
    2.0.47 built with the following:

    # SSL_BASE=/usr/local/ssl ./configure
    --prefix=/usr/local/install_dir/apache/2.0.47
    --enable-modules=ssl

    That's configured with the older version of openssl. I'll
    rebuild if I ever get the new openssl compiled.

    Sometimes, for some reason, like now, the compile doesn't
    go well. That's why I appreciate those who contribute to
    Blastwave and Sunfreeware, solving the puzzle and offering
    the package to everyone. Both services have helped me many
    times.

    Pkgadd and pkgrm are fine, I use them all the time.
    Blastwave's automating the process of downloading and running
    the package installation is great. I'm skimming over the
    Blastwave docs and see that a download of apache, for example,
    also includes a download of SSL. What a great service.

    But, the compiler is the most basic of all my utilities. It
    bothers me that I can't build gcc myself.

    Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

    Thanks
    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:17:53 -0700, [email]larrylaracnet.com[/email] wrote:
    >[...pkg-get output follows...]
    >You need to install the public key, either manually,
    >or automatically through a keyserver.
    >For keyserver use, try one of
    > echo keyserver search.keyserver.net >>/.gnupg/options
    > echo keyserver search.keyserver.net >>/.gnupg/gpg.conf
    >For manual install of the key (recommended), try
    > wget [url]http://www.blastwave.org/mirrors.html[/url]
    > gpg --import mirrors.html
    >Catalog failed signature verify. Quitting.
    >#
    >
    > Why does Blastwave need to know my identity to send gcc to
    >me?
    You have it backwards. You need to know blastwave's identity, not the
    other way around.
    You have gpg installed, so pkg-get uses it.
    Then gpg tells pkg-get it it cant verify the identity of the blastwave
    signing key, so it quits.

    Your options are:

    a) FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!! :-P
    The exaxt steps you need to do have been output by pkg-get, which you
    even posted, above.
    wget http......

    b) uninstall gpg

    c) tell pkg-get, "no, dont try to verify the signature, even though
    you'd really really like to".

    Do this by reading the comments in /etc/pkg-get.conf, and
    uncommenting the appropriate line.

  7. #7

    Thanks Philip, Andreas and Fredrik:

    Splash! There goes gpg over the side.

    Automatic download and install of gcc 3.3 goes like a charm.

    openssl compile fails again.

    Why are there references to "cc" in my failed logs, and
    "gcc" on the logs of successful builds from the other machine?

    Hmm, "cc" isn't one of the names in the gcc's "bin" dir.

    Oh, Forte cc is selected compiler because it's referenced
    in /usr/ucb/cc.

    So cc has been getting selected over gcc where I had
    otherwise set up for gcc session.

    I'll use Blastwave gcc for 3.3. Sorry about my confusion.

    Thanks
    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:27:31 -0700, [email]larrylaracnet.com[/email] wrote:
    >Thanks Philip, Andreas and Fredrik:
    >
    > Splash! There goes gpg over the side.
    >
    > Automatic download and install of gcc 3.3 goes like a charm.
    >
    > openssl compile fails again.
    For the record, I'm working on an updated openssl package for blastwave.org
    now :-)
    But it's a royal pain, and thats not including all the interpackage testing
    when I'm done. so it will take a while to be released.

  9. #9

    In article <slrnbi5ee0.2ab6.phil+s3bolthole.com>,
    phil+s3bolthole.no-bots.com (Philip Brown) writes:
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:27:31 -0700, [email]larrylaracnet.com[/email] wrote:
    >>Thanks Philip, Andreas and Fredrik:
    >>
    >> Splash! There goes gpg over the side.
    >>
    >> Automatic download and install of gcc 3.3 goes like a charm.
    >>
    >> openssl compile fails again.
    Where does it fail?
    I found that make check got a ton of compare errors and so went back
    to 3.2.3 : <
    > For the record, I'm working on an updated openssl package for blastwave.org
    > now :-)
    > But it's a royal pain, and thats not including all the interpackage testing
    > when I'm done. so it will take a while to be released.
    Guest

  10. #10

    [email]gerrytgtconnect.net[/email] wrote:

    > In article <slrnbi5ee0.2ab6.phil+s3bolthole.com>,
    > phil+s3bolthole.no-bots.com (Philip Brown) writes:
    > > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:27:31 -0700, [email]larrylaracnet.com[/email] wrote:
    > >>Thanks Philip, Andreas and Fredrik:
    > >>
    > >> Splash! There goes gpg over the side.
    > >>
    > >> Automatic download and install of gcc 3.3 goes like a charm.
    > >>
    > >> openssl compile fails again.
    >
    > Where does it fail?
    > I found that make check got a ton of compare errors and so went back
    > to 3.2.3 : <
    My gcc compiles were failing because configure found cc in /usr/ucb/cc.
    So it was using the Forte's cc instead of gcc, while all the environmental
    variables were set up for a gcc compile. It was my mistake, that I didn't
    notice until yesterday.

    Gucci 3.3 seems to compile everything I've thrown at it.
    > > For the record, I'm working on an updated openssl package for blastwave.org
    > > now :-)
    > > But it's a royal pain, and thats not including all the interpackage testing
    > > when I'm done. so it will take a while to be released.
    Thanks Philip, that's much appreciated.

    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom Guest