Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem copying Type 1 Times in InDesignCS2 - Adobe Indesign Windows

We are just starting to switch from InD-CS to InD-CS2. I have a doent created in InD-CS that uses Type 1 Times. The doent has 50+ paragraph styles and about 10 character styles. All the paragraph styles are based on a single style or a style based on that style. All the character styles are based on a single style (basically 10/12 Times). 99.99 percent of the text in this 30 page doent is set using paragraph styles. The character styles are used sparingly, mostly as nested styles. The only text that is not set with a paragraph style is ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem copying Type 1 Times in InDesignCS2

    We are just starting to switch from InD-CS to InD-CS2. I have a doent created in InD-CS that uses Type 1 Times. The doent has 50+ paragraph styles and about 10 character styles. All the paragraph styles are based on a single style or a style based on that style. All the character styles are based on a single style (basically 10/12 Times). 99.99 percent of the text in this 30 page doent is set using paragraph styles. The character styles are used sparingly, mostly as nested styles. The only text that is not set with a paragraph style is some master page text (running heads). In InD-CS, this text shows as [No paragraph style] in the stylesheet list. In CS2 it shows as (no styles) in the foot of the paragraph styles palette. Most of the text does not have a character style applied to it. In CS this shows as [No character style] in CS2 it shows as [None].

    My problem is that when I cut and paste text in CS2 the Type 1 Times changes to TrueType Times New Roman if that is installed and to Type 1 (I assume) Times New Roman PS MT showing as missing if the TrueType Times New Roman is not installed. (I do not have that PS MT font available). The text I am trying to paste has a paragraph style (It doesn’t matter which one) but has a character style of [None]. After pasting the text I can get the correct font back by simply clicking on the stylesheet in the stylesheets palette. If I do give the text a character style then my font will survive the paste. I am able to paste the text that is set with no paragraph style without losing the font.

    A few other things to note, if I change the Type 1 Times to Type 1 Palatino I do not have this problem. Also, when my colleague opens the doent on her computer (which is identical to mine with the same versions of the fonts that I have) she does not have this problem. All the other computers we have with InD-CS2 installed do seem to te my problem. Also I noticed that if I copy the text from CS2 to MS Word the incorrect font comes with it. If I copy back and forth between CS2 and CS I do not seem to have the problem but once I reapply the style in CS2 and then cut and paste that text the problem returns.

    It seems like the only problem is the font. The rest of the formatting including bold, italic, superscript, etc is preserved in the paste.
    Someone seemed to have a similar problem in thread called "CS2 copy Question" back on May 19 but nothing suggested there seems to fix my problem.

    Sorry for being so long winded but I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.
    John_W._Davies@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem copying Type 1 Times in InDesignCS2

    Also, when my colleague opens the doent on her computer (which is identical
    to mine with the same versions of the fonts that I have) she does not
    have this problem.

    This seems to me the place to start. What are the differences between the machine that works and those that doesn't. I would look at least at those things:

    1. Is Times New Roman installed?
    2. What is the default font (with no doent open) on the two machines?
    3. What is the content of the paragraph style [Basic Paragraph] on both machines.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the suggestions Teus,

    We have tried it both with Time New Roman installed and not installed.

    Both the computers have Type 1 times as the current default.

    I had set my basic paragraph to be 10/12 Type 1 Times. Hers was 12/(14.4) Type 1 Times.

    It seems that I am losing the Type 1 Times when I put text on the clipboard. I just now tried droping and dragging and that worked fine but when I cut and pasted while in the story editor I lost my font.

    Any further help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
    John_W._Davies@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    It seems this is a bug related to converting CS to CS2. It must be caused by some interaction with my system or settings because my colleague does not have the problem. I "solved" my problem by opening a new doent in CS2 and loading the styles from the old doent and then exporting the text from CS and placing it in the new CS2 doent/template. It involved extra work so if anyone has a solution or if Adobe fixes this bug that would be great.
    John_W._Davies@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Most of the time this has to do with the default settings of the font and the the settings of [Basic Paragraph] (which is new in CS2).