Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem creating datasource - Coldfusion Database Access

I have a SQL Server (rivendale) with several databases. Using Enterprise Manager on rivendale I created a login "SA" that has access to database "master" . I went to the CF admin and created a new database: Name:Polar Server:Rivendale Username:sa Pasword:password I get error: Connection verification failed for data source: polar java.sql.SQLException: Error establishing socket. Connection refused: connect The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Error establishing socket. Connection refused: connect...

  1. #1

    Default Problem creating datasource

    I have a SQL Server (rivendale) with several databases. Using Enterprise
    Manager on rivendale I created a login "SA" that has access to database
    "master" . I went to the CF admin and created a new database:
    Name:Polar
    Server:Rivendale
    Username:sa
    Pasword:password

    I get error:
    Connection verification failed for data source: polar
    java.sql.SQLException: Error establishing socket. Connection refused: connect
    The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Error establishing socket.
    Connection refused: connect

    DogBot Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem creating datasource

    When you create the datasource you should also enter values for:

    Data source name, e.g. a user-defined name like myDSN
    Database, name of an existing SQL Server database
    Server, e.g. 127.0.0.1
    Port, e.g. 1433

    BKBK Guest

  3. #3

    Please take a look at this and lell me what I am doing wrong:

    [url]http://colina.net/misc/CFDatasourceSetup/[/url]
    DogBot Guest

  4. #4

    Excellent presentation, DogBot.

    The pictues show something odd. A lot of grey. You didn't have to set up a DSN
    on Windows at all. It's enough to set it up just in the Coldfusion
    Administrator.

    All you had to do was to create a database, as you have done with POLAR, and
    ensure that you can access it using username(sa) and and password. Then you go
    to the CF Admin, do the DSN stuff and verify the connection. Done. There was no
    need to first set up ODBC, DSN, etc. in Windows.

    My advice is that everything in grey must go. That is, cancel everything you
    did in ODBCsetup1.jpg, ..., ODBCsetup6.jpg, to bring your Windows system to how
    it was originally. Then simply perform the steps I suggest above.

    BKBK Guest

  5. #5

    Still does not work, I get the same erro message. Is there something I need to do in enterprise manager perhaps? something to do with the sa account?
    DogBot Guest

  6. #6

    I had this problem when I started using coldfusion a few days ago. I'm using
    SQL Server 2005 but I use 2000 at work. I think that the proble is due to
    coldfusion not allowing you to use windows authenticated usernames and
    passwords.

    To fix this and get it working on both 2005, and 2000 I had to set up a new
    user on the SQL Server in Enterprise Manager (under security) and then go into
    the database that I created and assign the new user to the database (again
    under security, but it is the one listed under the database you created).

    If you are using a local SQL Server, then you need to use the settings that
    BKBK mentioned above (127.0.0.1 etc), otherwise if your server is elsewhere on
    the network, you can just use the server name.

    Hope this helps

    KevCB Guest

  7. #7

    something I need to do in enterprise manager perhaps? something to do with the
    sa account?
    Go to a table in your POLAR database. Right-click on it. Point the mouse to
    "Open Table" and click on Return all rows. Click on the SQL button and run a
    query. If it works, then that's good. One thing out of the way.

    Are SQL Server username(sa) and password settings the same as you used for the
    datasource in the CF Admin? Did you try both 1433 and 1434 as port settings? Is
    the name you entered as database the name of an existing SQL Server database?

    BKBK Guest

  8. #8

    I did what you suggested, I created a new user under security then I wen to
    "users" unde the database (there is no "security" there) and added the new
    use....didn't work.

    I DON"T GET IT!!!!! It's driving me up the wall!!!

    Could someone PLEASE direct me to an article, thread or page that details the
    relationship between SQL Server (enterprise manager) and CF datasources?

    I have an Microsoft SQL server with many databases. I want to create DSNs for
    each of those databases. How do I do that?

    DogBot Guest

  9. #9

    I found th answer: just leave the server blank!!!! wow who would have guessed it!!!

    THANKS TO ALL for you hel with this
    DogBot Guest

  10. #10

    I found the answer: I found the answer: just leave the server blank!!!! wow who would have guessed it!!
    Thanks for sharing the discovery with us. Good luck.

    BKBK Guest