Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem: Dualbooting XP with Redhat 9 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I configured the dualboot during the installation of Redhat. The dualboot displays properly, and if I choose Redhat (the default) it works. If I choose however XP, I get a blue screen. I have two separate physical disks, with one O/S on each (except for whatever Redhat did on the c: for purposes of dualboot I imagine). I tried using a new XP installation to recover, but it says it doesn't understand the partition and needs to delete it and recreate it, which I don't want to do and thus loose all that's on it. Any help? Much appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Problem: Dualbooting XP with Redhat 9

    I configured the dualboot during the installation of Redhat. The
    dualboot displays properly, and if I choose Redhat (the default) it
    works. If I choose however XP, I get a blue screen.

    I have two separate physical disks, with one O/S on each (except for
    whatever Redhat did on the c: for purposes of dualboot I imagine).

    I tried using a new XP installation to recover, but it says it doesn't
    understand the partition and needs to delete it and recreate it, which
    I don't want to do and thus loose all that's on it.

    Any help? Much appreciated.
    Yoni Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem: Dualbooting XP with Redhat 9

    Yoni wrote:
    > I configured the dualboot during the installation of Redhat. The
    > dualboot displays properly, and if I choose Redhat (the default) it
    > works. If I choose however XP, I get a blue screen.
    >
    > I have two separate physical disks, with one O/S on each (except for
    > whatever Redhat did on the c: for purposes of dualboot I imagine).
    Which OS is on which drive?

    Steve Martin Guest

  3. #3

    Steve Martin <smartinwateadelphia.net> wrote in message news:<2lb2b.17515$2Y6.5287128news2.news.adelphia. net>...
    > Yoni wrote:
    > > I configured the dualboot during the installation of Redhat. The
    > > dualboot displays properly, and if I choose Redhat (the default) it
    > > works. If I choose however XP, I get a blue screen.
    > >
    > > I have two separate physical disks, with one O/S on each (except for
    > > whatever Redhat did on the c: for purposes of dualboot I imagine).
    >
    > Which OS is on which drive?
    The original disk has XP, and the second disk which is a slave of the
    first has the Redhat.
    Yoni Guest

  4. #4

    >> > I have two separate physical disks, with one O/S on each (except for
    >> > whatever Redhat did on the c: for purposes of dualboot I imagine).
    What happens if you disconnect the RH disc.
    Can you boot XP now?

    Eric
    Eric Moors Guest

  5. #5

    Eric Moors <scare.crowoz.land> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.08.25.08.24.20.706440.925oz.land>. ..

    > What happens if you disconnect the RH disc.
    > Can you boot XP now?
    >
    > Eric

    I haven't tried it but I will. I'm guessing that it won't help,
    because I believe the dualboot wrote something to the 0 drive. Even
    more sure, because I used an XP CD to see if I could reinstall the XP
    on that same drive, and it told me that it couldn't read it and
    suggested I delete and recreate the partition. I know the data is
    still there, because during a recovery process I was able in DOS mode
    to go in and change directories etc.

    Please assume the answer to the above question is no, and I promise to
    update today if its not true.

    Thanks,
    Yoni
    Yoni Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:15:12 +0200, Yoni wrote:

    >> What happens if you disconnect the RH disc.
    >> Can you boot XP now?
    >>
    >> Eric
    >

    > I haven't tried it but I will. I'm guessing that it won't help,
    > because I believe the dualboot wrote something to the 0 drive. Even
    > more sure, because I used an XP CD to see if I could reinstall the XP
    > on that same drive, and it told me that it couldn't read it and
    > suggested I delete and recreate the partition. I know the data is
    > still there, because during a recovery process I was able in DOS mode
    > to go in and change directories etc.
    >
    > Please assume the answer to the above question is no, and I promise to
    > update today if its not true.
    Okay, I'll assume no for now.

    That probably means the bootloader (grub I guess) placed data on
    the MBR of the XP disc. If that disc is the IDE master (hda in linux
    terminology) that is also the correct behaviour. The problem of XP
    not being able to boot could be an incorrect grub configuration.
    Show your grub.conf file (/boot/grub/grub.conf iirc) here, or if
    you use lilo your lilo configuration (/etc/lilo.conf)

    One more thing to check. Is one disc jumpered as master and one
    as slave (if they are on the same IDE channel)?

    Eric
    Eric Moors Guest

  7. #7

    > Okay, I'll assume no for now.
    >
    > That probably means the bootloader (grub I guess) placed data on
    > the MBR of the XP disc. If that disc is the IDE master (hda in linux
    > terminology) that is also the correct behaviour. The problem of XP
    > not being able to boot could be an incorrect grub configuration.
    > Show your grub.conf file (/boot/grub/grub.conf iirc) here, or if
    > you use lilo your lilo configuration (/etc/lilo.conf)
    >
    > One more thing to check. Is one disc jumpered as master and one
    > as slave (if they are on the same IDE channel)?
    >
    > Eric
    Assuming that hardware is correctly configured. Run the Recovery Console in
    XP. Then run FIXMBR and FIXBOOT. That will let you boot straight into XP.
    I'm assuming it is your "primary" OS until you get your dual boot sorted
    out.

    What I did to make installation PERFECT without sweating configuring grub
    was the following. When installing Redhat, create a /boot partition. When
    you create that partition make sure that the /boot partition is marked
    active. Hint: by default, your XP partition will be active. Now, when
    installing the bootloader (grub), put it into /boot (not MBR). RedHat will
    set up grub for you correctly from this point forward and you should have no
    problems dual booting using grub as your bootloader. Worked like a charm on
    my laptop, the trick was switching the active partition.

    ken k

    Ken Kauffman Guest

  8. #8

    "Ken Kauffman" <kkauffmannospam.headfog.com> wrote in message news:<YXn2b.70968$xf.33183lakeread04>...
    > > Okay, I'll assume no for now.
    > >
    > > That probably means the bootloader (grub I guess) placed data on
    > > the MBR of the XP disc. If that disc is the IDE master (hda in linux
    > > terminology) that is also the correct behaviour. The problem of XP
    > > not being able to boot could be an incorrect grub configuration.
    > > Show your grub.conf file (/boot/grub/grub.conf iirc) here, or if
    > > you use lilo your lilo configuration (/etc/lilo.conf)
    > >
    > > One more thing to check. Is one disc jumpered as master and one
    > > as slave (if they are on the same IDE channel)?
    > >
    > > Eric
    >
    > Assuming that hardware is correctly configured. Run the Recovery Console in
    > XP. Then run FIXMBR and FIXBOOT. That will let you boot straight into XP.
    > I'm assuming it is your "primary" OS until you get your dual boot sorted
    > out.
    >
    > What I did to make installation PERFECT without sweating configuring grub
    > was the following. When installing Redhat, create a /boot partition. When
    > you create that partition make sure that the /boot partition is marked
    > active. Hint: by default, your XP partition will be active. Now, when
    > installing the bootloader (grub), put it into /boot (not MBR). RedHat will
    > set up grub for you correctly from this point forward and you should have no
    > problems dual booting using grub as your bootloader. Worked like a charm on
    > my laptop, the trick was switching the active partition.
    >
    > ken k

    The grub.conf as follows:

    [rootlocalhost root]# more /boot/grub/grub.conf
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    # root (hd1,0)
    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb2
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
    title Windows XP Pro
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    IN answer to the question; yes - both disks are on the same IDE Channel.

    Yoni.
    Yoni Guest

  9. #9

    >> > One more thing to check. Is one disc jumpered as master and one
    >> > as slave (if they are on the same IDE channel)?
    > IN answer to the question; yes - both disks are on the same IDE Channel.
    Are they jumpered correctly?
    > The grub.conf as follows:
    >
    > [rootlocalhost root]# more /boot/grub/grub.conf
    > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    > #
    > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    > # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    > # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    > # root (hd1,0)
    > # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb2
    > # initrd /initrd-version.img
    > #boot=/dev/hda
    > default=0
    > timeout=10
    > splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
    > root (hd1,0)
    > kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
    > initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
    > title Windows XP Pro
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > chainloader +1

    Looks okay to me (but I'm not a grub user).

    can you check the MBR manually?
    Use the following sequence to check it:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=./mbr.img count=1
    xxd < mbr.img
    *** does the output contain the word GRUB? ***
    rm ./mbr.img

    If it's not there, do the same thing but replace
    /dev/hda with /dev/hda1 in the first line.

    The BIOS is set to boot from the hda drive and not hdb, right?
    If that wouldn't be the case, windows requires a drive remap.

    Eric
    Eric Moors Guest

  10. #10

    Eric Moors wrote:
    >> The grub.conf as follows:
    >>
    >> [rootlocalhost root]# more /boot/grub/grub.conf
    >> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    >> #
    >> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    >> # file
    >> # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    >> # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    >> # root (hd1,0)
    >> # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb2
    >> # initrd /initrd-version.img
    >> #boot=/dev/hda
    >> default=0
    >> timeout=10
    >> splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    >> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
    >> root (hd1,0)
    >> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
    >> initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
    >> title Windows XP Pro
    >> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >> chainloader +1
    >>

    > Looks okay to me (but I'm not a grub user).
    I haven't followed the thread
    but I would change root=LABEL=/ to root=/dev/hda1
    (if that is where your / partition is>).
    Then I'd say
    grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: [email]timbirdsnest.maths.tcd.ie[/email]