Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem finding/deleting outlines, extra colors in AI file - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I'm using AI 11/CS. I am a novice, at best. Someone sent me a supposedly 2-color logo in EPS format (Conversions Plus says it's an AI 9 file). I opened it in AI CS to resave it so I'd have a preview (it was originally a Mac file, presumably with a PICT preview). I resaved as EPS, dropped it into my Quark file, and when I print separations I get 5 plates: cyan, process yellow, process black, Pantone 2935 CVC, and Pantone 369 CVC. (The two Pantones are the official logo colors.) Same thing happens if I print separations directly ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem finding/deleting outlines, extra colors in AI file

    I'm using AI 11/CS. I am a novice, at best.

    Someone sent me a supposedly 2-color logo in EPS format (Conversions Plus says it's an AI 9 file). I opened it in AI CS to resave it so I'd have a preview (it was originally a Mac file, presumably with a PICT preview).

    I resaved as EPS, dropped it into my Quark file, and when I print separations I get 5 plates: cyan, process yellow, process black, Pantone 2935 CVC, and Pantone 369 CVC. (The two Pantones are the official logo colors.) Same thing happens if I print separations directly from AI.

    All that shows up on the process separations is a faint outline of one line of text in the logo.

    I can't figure out how that outline is generated, or how to make it go away.

    What's even more perplexing is that the AI file does not include the process yellow or cyan swatches. It does include two extra spot color swatches -- Pantone 2935 CVU and 369 CVU. The 2935 CVU is shown as unused, so I was able to just delete it. The 369 CVU is apparently separating into the black, yellow, and cyan seps.

    But I can't figure out what elements in the logo are 369 CVU.

    If I click on the line of text using the solid arrow tool, Pantone 369 CVU is highlighted in the swatch palette. If I click on a single letter with the open arrow tool, Pantone 369 CVC is highlighted.

    The text has no stroke. The file is not layered. When I check in outline mode, there is nothing underneath the text when I move it.

    I **JUST** figured out how to solve the problem -- the lightbulb went on while I was composing this message -- but I am still curious to know how/why it occurred.

    I created a square with a fill and outline in the Pantone 369 CVU -- the color I wanted to get rid of, which was apparently separating into the process colors -- and used the "same" function to select all fills and strokes of that color, then hit the delete key.

    Although I could not see anything being selected, after I deleted, the color was no longer in use in the swatch palette. I deleted the swatch, and now there are only two spot colors in the file, and it separates correctly.

    Since there was no stroke on the text, but a stroke/outline was showing up on the process plates, where was it coming from?

    TIA,

    Marlene
    Marlene_Hochberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Marlene,

    Probably it was an extra fill applied at the text object level.

    Text objects can have color applied at the whole object level, and at the character level. (Similarly, groups can have color applied at the group level and at the level of the paths within the group.) The levels of color are stacked like layers, and the front-to-back ordering of those layers is controlled by the Appearance palette.

    If you still have your original unfixed file, select the text and open the Appearance palette. See if you have an additional fill layer applied at the object level. From your description, it sounds like it was below the Characters level.

    In Illustrator 9, it was easy to accidentally get color applied at the text object level if you used the eyedropper tool to apply color to a selected text object. (The other methods of applying color such as the Swatches palette and the Color palette required you to go to the Appearance palette and explicitly select Add New Fill or Add New Stroke.) The eyedropper tool has been brought into line with the other color application methods, so it shouldn't happen accidently anymore. I forget whether this change happened in AI 10 or AI CS.
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    Bingo! You hit the nail on the thumb.

    If I clicked on the grouped text (it wasn't really text, since it was converted to outlines, but I guess that's irrelevant), the Appearance palette showed a "group" with a fill of the color I needed to get rid of.

    If I clicked on a character and on the "contents" bar in the Appearance palette, the Appearance palette then showed a "compound path" with the correct fill color. I'm pretty confused. The compound path was listed below the group. Does that mean the wrong fill color was on top of the correct fill color?

    I wonder if the designer applied the wrong fill color when the text was still text, and then tried to change it after converting text to outlines.

    I still can't figure out why the extra spot color was separating into process when printed, but maybe I don't need to know. <g>

    How would the feature of having multiple layers of color be used? (Other than as a mistake, I mean.)

    And am I justified in thinking that the designer should have fixed this before sending out the file?

    Thanks!
    Marlene_Hochberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Marlene,

    Bingo! You hit the nail on the thumb.

    Ouch.

    And am I justified in thinking that the designer should have fixed this
    before sending out the file?

    No. This thread would never had been born if she/he had. Any thread with contributions from Teri deserves to live.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest