Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem getting to firmware in 7043-150 - AIX

I've been administering various unix systems for over 20 years, but this is the first time I've ever dealt with AIX boxen. With AIX being the single largest lacking area of my Unix portfolio I decided to buy a used 7043-150 with 5.1L preinstalled and the OS CDs plus various other CDs. The system came preloaded and seems to work fine. However I want to be familiar with the OS loading procedure so I want to be able to boot from the CDROM to reload everything. When I power the system up and the POST completes I get the usual ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem getting to firmware in 7043-150

    I've been administering various unix systems for over 20 years, but this
    is the first time I've ever dealt with AIX boxen. With AIX being the
    single largest lacking area of my Unix portfolio I decided to buy a used
    7043-150 with 5.1L preinstalled and the OS CDs plus various other CDs.

    The system came preloaded and seems to work fine. However I want to be
    familiar with the OS loading procedure so I want to be able to boot from
    the CDROM to reload everything.

    When I power the system up and the POST completes I get the usual white
    screen on the graphics console and the icons for system keyboard memory
    etc. What I can't figure out is how to interrupt the boot sequence to get
    to the firmware prompt (from what I read should be either 0> or 1> for
    serial or 2> for the graphics console).

    The only key that I can hit that does anything at all is the space key
    - which then seems to send the system into some kind of panic,
    spitting out screen after screen of garbage. Any other key does nothing
    and the system boots right into the OS. I've read in other places that
    there should be some kind of message at boot up to hit a certain F-key to
    interrupt but I never see that message.

    I've tried this using the first serial port as the console with no luck
    either. Am I doing something wrong ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

    TIA,
    MG

    Modine Gunch Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem getting to firmware in 7043-150

    pressing 1 always works on my text console...

    try first with it:
    [url]http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/pseries/en_US/infocenter/base/HW_7043_43p.htm[/url]

    regards,
    M.

    Uzytkownik "Modine Gunch" <mgunchderanged.net> napisal w wiadomosci

    > I've been administering various unix systems for over 20 years, but this
    > is the first time I've ever dealt with AIX boxen. With AIX being the
    > single largest lacking area of my Unix portfolio I decided to buy a used
    > 7043-150 with 5.1L preinstalled and the OS CDs plus various other CDs.
    >
    > The system came preloaded and seems to work fine. However I want to be
    > familiar with the OS loading procedure so I want to be able to boot from
    > the CDROM to reload everything.
    >
    > When I power the system up and the POST completes I get the usual white
    > screen on the graphics console and the icons for system keyboard memory
    > etc. What I can't figure out is how to interrupt the boot sequence to get
    > to the firmware prompt (from what I read should be either 0> or 1> for
    > serial or 2> for the graphics console).
    >
    > The only key that I can hit that does anything at all is the space key
    > - which then seems to send the system into some kind of panic,
    > spitting out screen after screen of garbage. Any other key does nothing
    > and the system boots right into the OS. I've read in other places that
    > there should be some kind of message at boot up to hit a certain F-key to
    > interrupt but I never see that message.
    >
    > I've tried this using the first serial port as the console with no luck
    > either. Am I doing something wrong ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    > MG

    Marrek Guest

  3. #3

    "Modine Gunch" <mgunchderanged.net> wrote in message

    > I've been administering various unix systems for over 20 years, but
    this
    > is the first time I've ever dealt with AIX boxen. With AIX being the
    > single largest lacking area of my Unix portfolio I decided to buy a
    used
    > 7043-150 with 5.1L preinstalled and the OS CDs plus various other CDs.
    >
    > The system came preloaded and seems to work fine. However I want to
    be
    > familiar with the OS loading procedure so I want to be able to boot
    from
    > the CDROM to reload everything.
    >
    > When I power the system up and the POST completes I get the usual
    white
    > screen on the graphics console and the icons for system keyboard
    memory
    > etc. What I can't figure out is how to interrupt the boot sequence to
    get
    > to the firmware prompt (from what I read should be either 0> or 1> for
    > serial or 2> for the graphics console).
    Why do you want to access the firmware prompt? The most common use of
    the firmware prompt on an RS/6000 is to start your Linux installation
    ;-)

    Use the nice friendly SMS menus rather than the firmware prompt - it's
    an RS/6000 your playing with not a Sun SPARC.

    If you want to reload the O/S from the CD, put the disc in the drive,
    reboot and hit the F5 key when the keyboard icon appears on boot up. The
    system should then boot from the CD.

    The other keystrokes you can use are :-

    F1 to get to the SMS menu
    F6 for a service mode boot to run diags from the harddisk
    F7 for the Open Firmware prompt

    If you are using a serial console, boot the system and press the
    equivalent number key when the word "keyboard" appears on the screen. It
    is preceded by "memory" and followed by "network", "scsi" and "speaker".

    Call me lazy if you like, but when it comes to working out stuff like
    this, on kit I'm unfamiliar with, I read the manuals. Probably something
    to do with having only 14 years experience ;-)

    > The only key that I can hit that does anything at all is the space key
    > - which then seems to send the system into some kind of panic,
    > spitting out screen after screen of garbage.
    Hey, I didn't know that. I must give it a try.
    > Any other key does nothing
    > and the system boots right into the OS. I've read in other places
    that
    > there should be some kind of message at boot up to hit a certain F-key
    > interrupt but I never see that message.
    >
    > I've tried this using the first serial port as the console with no
    luck
    > either. Am I doing something wrong ? Any help is greatly
    appreciated.

    Sounds like your serial cable may be wired wrong. It should be:-

    DB-9 DB-25 DB-9

    - PG 1-----1 PG -

    3 TD 2-----3 RD 2
    2 RD 3-----2 TD 3
    7 RTS 4-----5 CTS 8
    8 CTS 5-----4 RTS 7
    6 DSR 6

    1 CD 8-----20 DTR 4
    5 SG 7-----7 SG 5
    6 DSR 6

    4 DTR 20-----8 CD 1

    --
    RobH
    The future's dim, the future's mono.

    RobH Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, RobH wrote:
    > > to the firmware prompt (from what I read should be either 0> or 1> for
    > > serial or 2> for the graphics console).
    > Why do you want to access the firmware prompt? The most common use of
    > the firmware prompt on an RS/6000 is to start your Linux installation
    > ;-)
    > Use the nice friendly SMS menus rather than the firmware prompt - it's
    > an RS/6000 your playing with not a Sun SPARC.
    Well, see, I didn't know that :) All I got was a system unit and the OS
    CDs. No manuals/doentation/etc. Only having dealt with x86, PARISC
    and SPARC systems in the past, I was expecting something similar in the
    RS6K world.
    > If you want to reload the O/S from the CD, put the disc in the drive,
    > reboot and hit the F5 key when the keyboard icon appears on boot up. The
    > system should then boot from the CD.
    Thats what I was looking for =)
    > Call me lazy if you like, but when it comes to working out stuff like
    > this, on kit I'm unfamiliar with, I read the manuals. Probably something
    > to do with having only 14 years experience ;-)
    Again, no doentation. Searching IBMs various doentation sites was
    slightly less painful than a root c. Did my best to search for the
    answers before giving up in frustration and resorting to posting on
    Usenet.
    > > The only key that I can hit that does anything at all is the space key
    > > - which then seems to send the system into some kind of panic,
    > > spitting out screen after screen of garbage.
    > Hey, I didn't know that. I must give it a try.
    Just out of curiosity please let me know if your system duplicates this
    behaviour - I am curious if this is specific to my machine or not, perhaps
    I bought a flaky unit.
    > > I've tried this using the first serial port as the console with no
    > luck
    > Sounds like your serial cable may be wired wrong. It should be:-
    Must clarify there - the serial connection works fine, I get the expected
    output. What I meant was, I didn't know what key to hit to interrupt the
    boot sequence using the serial console as well. I will give your
    suggestions a try. Many thanks.
    > --
    > RobH
    > The future's dim, the future's mono.