I am having trouble grouping events pulled from a calendar database by month. To start off, let me say we are using Coldfusion 7 server.

Here is my query:
Code:
SELECT event_ID,
	event_title,
	event_type,
	event_city,
	event_state,
	event_venue,
	event_startdate,
	event_startDay,
	event_startMonth,
	event_startYear,
	event_endDate,
	event_endDay,
	event_endMonth,
	event_endYear,
	event_startTime,
	event_startTimeHour,
	event_startTimeMin,
	event_startTimeMeridian,
	event_endTime,
	event_endTimeHour,
	event_endTimeMin,
	event_endTimeMeridian,
	event_comment1,
	event_contact,
	event_email,
	event_phone,
	event_fax,
	event_link1
FROM Events_Calendar_TEST
WHERE event_startTime > DateAdd(d, -1, GetDate())
ORDER BY event_startTime, event_title
And here is my output:
Code:
<cfoutput query="GetEvents" group="event_startTime">
<h2>#dateformat(event_startTime, 'mmmm')#</h2>
<ul>
	<cfoutput>
	<li>
	<strong>
	<cfif len(event_link1)>
	<cfelse>
		#event_title#
	</cfif>
	</strong>
	#DateFormat(event_startTime, "mmmm d, yyyy")#<br />
	<cfif len(event_venue)>
		#event_venue# -
	</cfif>
	<cfif len(event_city)>
		#event_city#
	</cfif>
	<cfif len(event_state)>
		, #event_state#
	</cfif>
	<cfif len(event_comment1)>
		#Replace(Trim(event_comment1),'#chr(13)#','<br />','all')#
	</cfif>
</li>
	</cfoutput>
</ul>
</cfoutput>
The problem is, the events are grouped by individual date, and not by month. I know it's because I'm grouping on the datetime field event_startTime, but I can't get the dateformat to display properly when I try to group on the varchar field event_startMonth.

Also, I try to group by event_type and some lump together, but ultimately, it stays in chronological order.

Example, using 2 event_types and 4 different event_titles:

EVENT_TYPE1

event_title1
February 1, 2012
6:00 PM
event_venue1 - event_city1, event_state1

event_title2
February 2, 2012
6:00 PM
event_venue2 - event_city2, event_state2

EVENT_TYPE2

event_title3
February 3, 2012
6:00 PM
event_venue3 - event_city3, event_state3

EVENT_TYPE1

event_title4
February 4, 2012
6:00 PM
event_venue4 - event_city4, event_state4

What I would like to happen is that the 4th event in the Example above gets lumped together with the other EVENT_TYPE1 events. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Screen shots can be provided if needed.

Thanks in advance.