Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem Importing Excel Files to Illustrator CS - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am trying to import data that exists on a multi-worksheet excel file into Illustrator CS. When I try to do this, I get an error. It looks like strange characters fill in one cell of the import data dialogue, and nothing else happens. Are the multiple worksheets (or the functions that are saved in the excel file) hampering my import? Is there any way to get around this? Thanks, Julie...

  1. #1

    Default Problem Importing Excel Files to Illustrator CS

    Julie_Tucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Julie,

    Have you done a Copy/Paste from Excel into Illustrator? Or, have you converted your Excel data to PDF, which Illustrator will open? Or, depending upon your version of Office, you can open your XLS file in WORD and then PLACE that file into Illustrator CS. All that works for me, as I just tried it.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your suggestions _- I am able to copy from excel tables

    My aim though is to create a situation in which my data need not be reentered when it changes, I thought that by importing the data, this would help with that process.
    Julie_Tucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Julie,

    You then, need to PLACE the file (and XLS files won't Place) and LINK the file. This means you'd have to make the XLS into a DOC and link that, so you wouldn't gain anything. Are you sure you don't really need to use InDesign or PageMaker to do this? They are more geared for publishing and using Linked data files than Illustrator, which usually Places raster or vector images. It can Place a PDF, but you'd have to convert your data all the time to CURRENT PDF and have it linked. Not a big time saver for what you wish to do.

  5. #5

    Thanks for your quick response.

    I am using InDesign for the final doent, but was using Illustrator to tweak the line widths/ colors/ etc. of the data so that it looked more polished in the final product. I am using Illustrator defaults to create the graph, the data is simply a table of values (not a graph) when you see it in excel.
    Julie_Tucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    InDesign does not provide live linking from Excel, any more than Illustrator does.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest