Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem Installing New HD in Lombard - Mac Portable

Last night, I tried to install a 20 Gb HD in my 400 MHz Lombard with 6 Gb drive. On two attempts, it would not accept the new HD. Even though the 20 GB drive had a working System on it, the Lombard would not recognize the drive was attached. After the first attempt, I put the old 6 Gb drive back in, and it worked. I put the 20 GB HD in a small Firewire enclosure, and this computer recognized it. The second attempt was the same as the first. Both time, the hard drive head cycled a few ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem Installing New HD in Lombard

    Last night, I tried to install a 20 Gb HD in my 400 MHz Lombard with 6
    Gb drive. On two attempts, it would not accept the new HD. Even though
    the 20 GB drive had a working System on it, the Lombard would not
    recognize the drive was attached. After the first attempt, I put the
    old 6 Gb drive back in, and it worked. I put the 20 GB HD in a small
    Firewire enclosure, and this computer recognized it. The second attempt
    was the same as the first. Both time, the hard drive head cycled a few
    times before the drive shut down.

    The new drive was the same brand as the old one, Fujitsu. The new one
    was not an "Apple" drive. It did, however, work fine in my Wallstreet.

    Any ideas?

    Tom Cornell Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem Installing New HD in Lombard

    Tom Cornell <tvcornelmindspring.com> wrote:
    > Last night, I tried to install a 20 Gb HD in my 400 MHz Lombard with 6
    > Gb drive. On two attempts, it would not accept the new HD. Even though
    > the 20 GB drive had a working System on it, the Lombard would not
    > recognize the drive was attached. After the first attempt, I put the
    > old 6 Gb drive back in, and it worked. I put the 20 GB HD in a small
    > Firewire enclosure, and this computer recognized it. The second attempt
    > was the same as the first. Both time, the hard drive head cycled a few
    > times before the drive shut down.
    >
    > The new drive was the same brand as the old one, Fujitsu. The new one
    > was not an "Apple" drive. It did, however, work fine in my Wallstreet.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    That's a weird one. Did you try installing the drive, then booting from
    a cd or external drive, and then seeing if it would show up on the disk
    utilities software? If yes, maybe install a driver.

    Back in the old days, FWD HD toolkit was great at forcing reluctant SCSI
    drives to mount, but those days are over.

    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net

  3. #3

    You could be right, but the original drive had nothing either. These are
    portable 2.5" drives not the larger IDE/ATA drives.

    T.

    hughchal wrote:
    > Tom Cornell wrote:
    >
    > > Any ideas?
    >
    > Isn't there some sort of master / slave jumper on the back of these drives?
    > You might need to change something in there.

    > --
    > h u g h c h a l A T e i r c o m D O T n e t
    Tom Cornell Guest

  4. #4

    Dan,

    The 20G drive was formatted and loaded in a Wallstreet laptop, not the
    FireWire enclosure. When I started the new laptop with the drive using my
    OS9 install disc, the computer did not even recognize that the drive was
    there. So, it was formatted, etc. on a real ATA bus.

    Dan K wrote:
    > Does Drive Setup 'see' the drive when installed internally?
    >
    > If the replacement drive was initially formatted in a FW case, your
    > PB's internal ATA bus probably won't mount it correctly. The FW drivers
    > are different from 'regular' ATA bus drivers.
    >
    > I've had no luck moving a drive initialized in a FW enclosure to a PB's
    > internal ATA bus. The solution has always been that I must
    > _re-initialize_ the drive inside the PB before it is of any use. The
    > reverse doesn't seem to be a problem, moving an internal drive to a FW
    > enclosure has worked every time.
    >
    > Now I just make it a habit to initialize new drives on a _real_ ATA
    > bus, then I can use them wherever I wish without problems.
    >
    > hth,
    >
    > Dan K
    Tom Cornell Guest