Professional Web Applications Themes

PROBLEM! printing separations containing a mesh - Adobe Illustrator Windows

ok, i have CS, and im a screenprinter. my problem is this, our previous art director left, and now im in charge of his unfinished accounts. one design in particular has me stumped: it contains a mesh gradient filled with spot colors and black, but when i goto separate those in our RIP, it shows up as CMYK. i can't use CMYK, that would complicate the design further than it already is. 6-color, less than a hundred peices. which means it goes to our manuals, not our automatics which have a minimum piece quota of one thousand. maunuals can only ...

  1. #1

    Default PROBLEM! printing separations containing a mesh

    ok, i have CS, and im a screenprinter. my problem is this, our previous art director left, and now im in charge of his unfinished accounts. one design in particular has me stumped: it contains a mesh gradient filled with spot colors and black, but when i goto separate those in our RIP, it shows up as CMYK. i can't use CMYK, that would complicate the design further than it already is. 6-color, less than a hundred peices. which means it goes to our manuals, not our automatics which have a minimum piece quota of one thousand. maunuals can only handle 6-color, autos can handle up to 16. so my question is this; how do i 'break' the mesh and or convert the cmyk to spot? this needs an answer relatively soon. if you need more info, i will happily oblige.
    LordofObliveon@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: I Need Help Please! printing separations containing a mesh

    Meshes cannot contain more than one spot color. If they do, the transitioning color are PROCESS.

    Copy the mesh,
    Change all the spot anchors to 0% black. Leave the black the same percentage they are.
    Control+F to paste the copied mesh in front.
    Change all the black anchors to 0% of the SPOT color. Leave the spot color anchors as is.
    Select the top and set it to multiply the bottom.

    This is a billable charge to your client because it will not separate correctly on ANY prepress device. If your art director built this, he/she should have known better.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    spose that's why he/she is gone
    Bert Guest

  4. #4

    <com>

    Didn't teach you how to spell oblivion, either. :)

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    thanks for the spedious response. its due on tues. anyway, i will let you know if it works for me. you'll definately know if it doesn't :) our old art director was a nice guy, but i have to admit, he didn't know much about design, tooting my own horn, i went to college specifically for design, so im a little more qaulified for the position. now i just gotta work on separations, didn't teach us that one in school...
    thanks again
    LordofObliveon@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    thats a purposeful mispelling, makes it unique
    LordofObliveon@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Well, I wondered it that might be the case ... wouldn't want to confuse you
    with that other LordOf. :)

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    your just sadisticly sarcastic, aren't you? :)
    LordofObliveon@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    > your just sadisticly sarcastic, aren't you? :)

    Not sadistically, no.

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    > Didn't teach rrose how to spell rose, either...or the fact that names are
    started with a capital.

    Yeah...was expect some such comment. :)

    http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jconte/Images/Duchamp_RoseSelavy.jpg

    but...maybe you got me on the capitalize thing.

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11