Professional Web Applications Themes

?Problem w/ HFS+ Private Data? - Mac Applications & Software

A friend has a QuickSilver G4 running 9.2.2. I removed all the OS X stuff because she'll never be using it. The problem is that when I run Norton I get this 'major error' message: No hardlink files reference the indirect files (15,2,2) <name of HD>:

HFS+ Private Data:iNode<some long number> There are perhaps a dozen files listed, each with a different <some long number>. I discovered that HFS+ Private Data is an invisible folder (okay, directory) at the root level of the HD. But what is an indirect file, and can I just make HFS+ Private Data visible and delete ...

  1. #1

    Default ?Problem w/ HFS+ Private Data?

    A friend has a QuickSilver G4 running 9.2.2. I removed all the OS X stuff
    because she'll never be using it.

    The problem is that when I run Norton I get this 'major error' message:

    No hardlink files reference the indirect files (15,2,2)
    <name of HD>:\0\0\0\0HFS+ Private Data:iNode<some long number>

    There are perhaps a dozen files listed, each with a different <some long
    number>. I discovered that HFS+ Private Data is an invisible folder (okay,
    directory) at the root level of the HD. But what is an indirect file, and
    can I just make HFS+ Private Data visible and delete it? Or will the
    universe explode?

    Any info will be greatly appreciated. tia!

    --Fred
    Fred Moore Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ?Problem w/ HFS+ Private Data?

    In article <bempoi$qvt$1acme.gcfn.org>, Fred Moore <fmooregcfn.org> wrote:

    >A friend has a QuickSilver G4 running 9.2.2. I removed all the OS X stuff
    >because she'll never be using it.
    >
    >The problem is that when I run Norton I get this 'major error' message:
    >
    >No hardlink files reference the indirect files (15,2,2)
    ><name of HD>:\0\0\0\0HFS+ Private Data:iNode<some long number>
    It's not a major error, but it is a waste of space. I wouldn't delete
    the HFS+ Private Data folder; I don't think it is used in MacOS 9, but
    I don't know for sure. Instead, delete just those files.
    --
    Matthew T. Russotto [email]mrussottospeakeasy.net[/email]
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  3. #3

    [email]fmooregcfn.org[/email] (Fred Moore) wrote:
    >A friend has a QuickSilver G4 running 9.2.2. I removed all the OS X stuff
    >because she'll never be using it.
    >
    >The problem is that when I run Norton I get this 'major error' message:
    >
    >No hardlink files reference the indirect files (15,2,2)
    ><name of HD>:\0\0\0\0HFS+ Private Data:iNode<some long number>
    This is normal. Putting OS X on a computer involves lots of
    hidden things on the disk. The only way to remove it properly
    is to reformat the disk.

    Simon Slavin Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the responses fellows. I guess I'll try making the HFS+ Private
    Data folder visible and deleting its contents one by one. Reformatting the
    entire disk is beyond what I want to get into unless it's absolutely
    necessary. As long ans this stuff isn't really a 'major 'error', I'll
    settle for getting Norton to ignore it.

    Thanks again for the help!

    --Fred
    Fred Moore Guest