Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem w/ Placing Photoshop image in InDesign without black frame - Adobe Indesign Windows

I use Photoshop 6, Illustrator 10 and InDesign CS - Windows. In Photoshop I used Magic Wand tool - Clipping Path to eliminate the white background on a photo of a yellow leaf. This worked very well. I want to use the leaf on a light gray background that is much larger than the image of the leaf. When I try to Place the Photoshop leaf file in InDesign, it always shows up with a black frame around the image. This frame is the same size as the image was before I eliminated the background. Is it possible to get ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem w/ Placing Photoshop image in InDesign without black frame

    I use Photoshop 6, Illustrator 10 and InDesign CS - Windows.

    In Photoshop I used Magic Wand tool - Clipping Path to eliminate the white background on a photo of a yellow leaf. This worked very well.

    I want to use the leaf on a light gray background that is much larger than the image of the leaf. When I try to Place the Photoshop leaf file in InDesign, it always shows up with a black frame around the image. This frame is the same size as the image was before I eliminated the background. Is it possible to get rid of the frame?

    I have used Place to open the image in Illustrator and this worked well. I was able to add a light gray background in Illustrator without the black frame. But, when I try to Place the Illustrator file in InDesign the black frame shows up.
    Marita_Grimsų@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Sounds like your default stroke setting is being applied to the placed images. It's not supposed to work that way.

    Can you start by checking this:

    1. After placing the image, select it with the solid pointer. What does the stroke palette say about the weight of the stroke?

    2. Now deselect the image. Does the stroke weight still say the same?

    If so, then that's what's happening. Thing is, it shouldn't. So perhaps your preferences are somehow munged.

    If not, then something else is happening -- still could be a preferences issue, but maybe not.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for your answer!

    1.
    When I select the image with the solid pointer the stroke palette have nothing indicated on "thickness" (I have the program in Norwegian so I don“t know if the translation corresponds exactly with the english version).

    2. When I deselect it says excactly the same.

    The good news is that when I print it out the black frame doesn“t show. I think I will try to reinstall the program.
    Marita_Grimsų@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Oh wait. You're seeing the frame edges and you happen to have images on a layer that uses the black color.

    I'm guessing this file was converted from PageMaker.

    Just Show/Hide Frame Edges (Ctrl-H, I think) to see the image without the frame.

    Change the color of the layer to make it more obvious what you're really seeing.

  5. #5

    You are absolutely right. When I used Ctrl-H the frame edges dissapeared - what a relief. Thank you for all your help!
    Marita_Grimsų@adobeforums.com Guest