Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem when embedding text, and font issues. - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am working on a PC version of In Design 2.0 on Windows XP pro, with a gig of RAM and a few large harddrives and zip-drives. As far as I can see, the hardware itself is not problematic, and it doesn't appear to be affecting any other programs. When it comes to embedding text into a doent, the 'embed' function in drop down menu from the links palette is not active. The doent is about 160 pages long, a book of poetry with no graphics in it what-so-ever, just plain, black text. Something I thought would be quite simple. ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem when embedding text, and font issues.

    I am working on a PC version of In Design 2.0 on Windows XP pro, with a gig of RAM and a few large harddrives and zip-drives. As far as I can see, the hardware itself is not problematic, and it doesn't appear to be affecting any other programs.

    When it comes to embedding text into a doent, the 'embed' function in drop down menu from the links palette is not active. The doent is about 160 pages long, a book of poetry with no graphics in it what-so-ever, just plain, black text. Something I thought would be quite simple.

    I have tried highlighting the entire doent (ctrl+A), but of course it only highlights two pages and then stops. Trying to change the font in an imported RTF file, also proved problematic. I am currently doing it page by page. So far the method I have used is:

    1. Place the imported word doent (one of three books being republished in one edition) into a text frame (that appears first on the master page, thus the same on every page).

    2. Flow the text into all the other pages.

    3. Select all of the text on each page, and change the font to Garamond (regular) pt12, select the headings and change that font to pt24 ITC Garamond (bold), and then select the lines and phrases that require Garamond (italic) applied to them as specified by the author.

    4. Place the second imported word doent into the next text frame and follow the first three steps.

    However: When the text is imported there are several differences from the original word file that are popping up. Certain lines and phrases are appearing in Times New Roman pt10 (the original text appears in the word doent IN Garamond pt12) and it is not ever in the same place. I even tried doing the master pages, they have been highlighted and set to Garamond regular pt12. This change in font is all over the place, happens mid word sometimes, and when 'selecting all' does not change, unless you highlight ONLY the problem area.

    After fixing the fonts up, I wanted to embed the text. I highlighted it, and tried both the contextual menu and the links palette menu and both times the 'embed' function was grey and not able to be used.

    I also tried shift-clicking on the text frames themselves, and then the contextual menu and the links menu still didn't allow me to embed the text.

    Am I doing something wrong? I bet it's something insanely stupid, and you all can probably all guess I'm a newbie - however any help would be greatly appriciated.

    -- SP.

    PS: I also tried copying and pasting page by page a few pages from the doent - which eliminated the need to embed the text as the text WAS part of the doent. However, on preflighting (initially it had a problem with the font too, which appears to now have been rectified, didn't do anything but it's gone) and printing, there were no errors until page 99, where the printer (HP deskjet 690C) then printed blank pages until page 157. Drove me nuts. No problem with ink or signal. If you have an answer, please help me. Not for my sake, but for my dear old office computer's sake. It's going to be recieving a frenzied bout of percusive maintence very shortly...

    THANK YOU!
    Stefanie_Petrik@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem when embedding text, and font issues.

    There are a lot of questions here.

    As far as embedding text goes, I believe a text doent is automatically
    embedded when you place it, which is why the embed option would be greyed
    out. Does it show an option to unembed?

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    In fact, looking further, a placed text file doesn't give you an embed or
    unembed option on the context menu. You only get that with a graphic.

    You said that the file you placed was plain text, so unless there's
    something particularly odd about the file or how you placed it, I don't
    understand how you are seeing embedding options in the context menu.

    But wait. If you select the text with the text tool and then use the context
    menu from the links palette you certainly do have a greyed out embed option.
    I think this is just an oddball display related to a non-standard action,
    because you don't work with the links palette this way. You just use the
    selection tool (black arrow).

    And the reason why when you select the text file in the links palette you
    are not given an option to embed it is, as I said before, it's already
    embedded.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    A quick tip that works in my shop with certain printers. Try PDF'ing the doent and printing from that. That usually fix's any problem, and if in this case it doesn't you will at least save some ink and paper.

    As for the text, in my experience text whether copied and pasted from lets say Microshaft Word (yuck) or placed from an RTF automatically becomes part of the InDesign file. Thus not needing to worry about embedding or not. We receive countless numbers of doents where people forget there links, and as far as I can see the graphics are the only ones to suffer. Just keep in mind though if you are really worried about these things you always have the good-old package feature which really helps bundle everything up nicely.
    Larry_Harnden@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Okay, thank you all for responding!

    Well, if it automatically embeds the text within the InDesign doent, then why does the link still appear in the links palette?

    I was reading the Visual Quickstart guide to InDesign 2.0 (peachpit press - sandee cohen) and there was an instruction on how to embed text and graphics. Which was the instructions I relayed in the original message, about selecting the text box, and then using the embed function in the menu on the links palette.

    And it also said that once the text had sucessfully been embedded, the link would dissapear from the links palette. In my case, the link is still appearing and the option to embed is not working.

    My printer specified that he wanted all text and graphics embedded within the doent. Which was why it was important to embed and not to just provide links to the information, and the original files themselves.

    Perhaps because the original files are not really very large, it's automatically embedded the text.... - but the link in the link palette is still appearing which means it HAS to still be linked!

    I'll try the PDF export, and see how it goes from there... I'm passing the book onto the proofreader/publisher tommorow, so I guess we'll see if they can even get the thing up and running.

    Thanks for your help and suggestions. It was muchly appriciated. If anyone has any other ideas on why the files are still appearing as links, I would surely be interested to hear them... :) Thanks everyone!
    Stefanie_Petrik@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Okay, Larry I tried PDF export and there is still a problem.

    After page 99, no text appears on the page. It is formatted in exactly the same way as all the other text. Black in color. Garamond font. No missing fonts. No embedded text. Links palette has the active link in there. The original doent is untouched and clean and also formatted the way it should be. The text appears in InDesign, but not when I open the PDF file in photoshop OR acrobat OR try to print it. But I can see it, and I can edit it.

    What I have done to get the work to the proof-reader, is seperate (which also meant RE-FORMATTING all the text again, which after doing this 2 times, 2 different ways is getting a little irritating) the 3 books that are being re-published as one, into three doents. Now, this has worked. Provided the book has under the 80-90 pg page size, it works like a charm. After that, no siree bob. It works fine with the first two links. The third text link, spits the dummy.

    Now, I've tried this in TWO doents. The exact same thing happens. I started from scratch, and did the work, twice. Once, with cutting and pasting the word file in page by page by hand as to have no links appear, and a second by placing the RTF files in there. Only when placing the imported RTF files in there did the text lose it's original formatting.

    Does anyone know WHY the text is losing its formatting between word and InDesign, only when placed as an imported doent?

    And does anyone know WHY after a certain amount of pages the doent just refuses to admit there is text on a page? Is it a filesize or memory problem? there are no alerts... and there should be none as there is a gig of ram in this particuar machine and enough hardrive space...

    This seems to be a pretty decent sized problem, because the NEXT project, is about 200 pages... and if I can't get past 80, well... they'll be a bigger problem.
    Surely ther has to be a better way to do this! Any pointers in the right direction would be much appriciated.

    THANK YOU!

    --SP
    Stefanie_Petrik@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Stefanie,
    Just autoflow the first doent, (press Shift while clicking on the top of the text frame in the first page), place the cursor at the end, (optionally)add a new page and place from there with autoflow the second doent, do the same with the third one.
    Check all the text is there.
    Go to the links palette and unlink (I have been using the CS version for too long, can't remember the option well).
    Now just place the text cursor in a paragraph, click 4 time to select it in whole. Format it as desired, go next to par. styles palette and create a style name it and give it a shortcut, apply it to all your text. Alternatively if you have imported styles from Word, go to one of them, change any text where it is applied and use the command menu redefine in the Par. Styles palette. Do it for the styles you want to keep, for not having to browse all your pages, delete other unused styles.

    To select all the text in threaded frames just click 5 times or just place the cursor inside any text and type Ctrl.+A, it will select every word and spaces, just apply the typeface if you want to keep varying styles and type sizes.

    Let us know if it works, or need more details.
    Regards
    Federico Platón
    federico_platon@adobeforums.com Guest