Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with a combination of Windows 2K Service Pack 4, Oracle 9i, ASP and ADO. - Oracle Server

We've had a working application for the last year, which involved Microsoft ASP serving up web pages, which were generated from data retrieved from an Oracle Database via ADO. However, as part of this fix for the msblast virus, our server was upgraded to service pack 4 and as a result, our web pages started to fall over with an ASP 0x800a01fb' error when attempting to read the EOF flag of a recordset. At present we use Oracle's OraOLEDB.Oracle provider, which works fine in the VB test harness and in IIS (win2k service pack 2). We've had limited success with ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with a combination of Windows 2K Service Pack 4, Oracle 9i, ASP and ADO.

    We've had a working application for the last year, which involved
    Microsoft ASP serving up web pages, which were generated from data
    retrieved from an Oracle Database via ADO.

    However, as part of this fix for the msblast virus, our server was
    upgraded to service pack 4 and as a result, our web pages started to
    fall over with an ASP 0x800a01fb' error when attempting to read the
    EOF flag of a recordset.

    At present we use Oracle's OraOLEDB.Oracle provider, which works fine
    in the VB test harness and in IIS (win2k service pack 2). We've had
    limited success with the MSDAORA OLEDB Provider, but there is a lot
    work involved, which we'd rather not have to do.

    Has anybody else come across this problem or has any suggestions?

    Specifications:

    Windows 2K server (Service Pack 4).
    IIS 5.
    Oracle 9i
    OraOLEDB.Oracle 9.0.1.0.1
    ADO 2.7

    Thanks
    C H Ford
    Phoenix_Dfire Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with a combination of Windows 2K Service Pack 4, Oracle 9i, ASP and ADO.

    "Phoenix_Dfire" <co.uk> wrote in message
    news:google.com... 

    Ouch; that's why you won't see service pack 4 on my servers. :) All that
    was needed for msblast, as far as I've been aware, was patch MS03-026, or
    #823980. It was actually released back in July... make sure your admins are
    keeping up with their security updates!

    I'm betting that SP4 somehow upgraded the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access
    Components) on the server, and the version does not match that on your
    development PC or test server. You'll need to download something called
    "MDAC Component Checker", which you can find by doing a search off the
    microsoft.com support site. Make sure important things (like ADO drivers or
    OLEDB drivers or any Visual Basic stuff you used) match the versions on your
    development PC. The CC program won't give you an accurate overall ysis
    (or, it hasn't done that for me), but at least it lists off all the DLL
    versions.

    In fact by looking at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;327194 , it seems
    that the MDAC was updated. For what it's worth, I'm running MDAC 2.5 on my
    Win2k servers. My guess is that you had started with MDAC 2.5, maybe 2.5
    SP2, and the servers got boosted to 2.6.

    Also, I'm not sure on the accuracy of this next statement, but it's worth a
    checking into: I was programming a COM+ component for ASP in Visual C++
    6.0, using OLE DB and ATL, and Oracle 8i. I had a problem with the OraOLEDB
    driver (which I found to be more stable then Microsoft's provider). When I
    ran a procedure, I found out that it did not send VC++ a null-terminated
    string, and I got garbage characters after the varchar2 ended. So I thought
    it was just "my fault", and I programmed in a rather "clunky" fix. (VC++ is
    very different then ASP with database access.) I found out later on the OTN
    that it was a bug in the Oracle Provider! My exact problem was listed as
    being a bug fix, and a newer version of the driver had been released. Of
    course, we had already gone into production, and I couldn't upgrade the
    OraOLEDB without re-doing my code; it was decided that we'd keep "my" fix in
    until we upgraded to 9i. So hop on the OTN and make sure that you've got
    the latest Oracle Provider for OLE DB... read any bug release notes.

    Good luck!

    -Thomas


    Thomas Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Problem with a combination of Windows 2K Service Pack 4, Oracle 9i, ASP and ADO.

    W2k SP 4 updates MDAC files and gets them out of sequence with the rest of
    the MDAC. Our fix was to install MDAC 2.7 after the update which fixed the
    problem for us.


    DLI Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Service Pack 2 with IE 6.0
    By zanejuly in forum ASP Components
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 7th, 02:20 PM
  2. Windows XP service pack 2 issues
    By Scott_Brinkman@adobeforums.com in forum Adobe Indesign Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 24th, 08:22 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 19th, 12:57 PM
  4. windows xp service pack 1 (express)
    By Miha Pihler in forum Windows Setup, Administration & Security
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 28th, 08:01 AM
  5. Windows XP service pack 1
    By Question Man in forum Windows XP/2000/ME
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 22nd, 02:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139