Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with Apache Web Server config file and PHP (please give advice on what problem may be me) - PHP Development

HI: Can anyone refer me to someone that can help with the problem below. I installed Apache Web Server on my laptop which has Windows XP. I then installed PHP. I followed the directions in the book I had on installing apache and php and what to add to the apache configuration file. Here is what is happening: After installing everything, I tested my Apache web server installation first and saw the apache web server page like the book said. Then it said to do a little php program - which had phpinfo() in it. But when I retyped the ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with Apache Web Server config file and PHP (please give advice on what problem may be me)

    HI:

    Can anyone refer me to someone that can help with the problem below.

    I installed Apache Web Server on my laptop which has Windows XP. I then installed PHP. I followed the directions in the book I had on installing apache and php and what to add to the apache configuration file.

    Here is what is happening: After installing everything, I tested my Apache web server installation first and saw the apache web server page like the book said. Then it said to do a little php program - which had phpinfo() in it. But when I retyped the url I got a message that asked me did I want to download a file, which was the php program file.

    The PHP is 4.3.2 and the apache web server is 2.0. What am I doing wrong? Should I use apache 1.3.2?

    Please help. I understand everything, just don't know why it is prompting me to download a file.

    Thanks.

    Karen

    Karen Santmyer Guest

  2. #2

    Did you add these lines to http.conf?:
    LoadModule php4_module c:/php4/sapi/php4apache.dll
    AddModule mod_php4.c
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

    If you did, did you restart apache afterwards?

    karen santmyer wrote:
    > HI:
    >
    > Can anyone refer me to someone that can help with the problem below.
    >
    > I installed Apache Web Server on my laptop which has Windows XP. I then installed PHP. I followed the directions in the book I had on installing apache and php and what to add to the apache configuration file.
    >
    > Here is what is happening: After installing everything, I tested my Apache web server installation first and saw the apache web server page like the book said. Then it said to do a little php program - which had phpinfo() in it. But when I retyped the url I got a message that asked me did I want to download a file, which was the php program file.
    >
    > The PHP is 4.3.2 and the apache web server is 2.0. What am I doing wrong? Should I use apache 1.3.2?
    >
    > Please help. I understand everything, just don't know why it is prompting me to download a file.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Karen

    Marek Kilimajer Guest

  3. #3

    It prompts you for downloading the file because Apache doesn't recognize it
    as a PHP-file but sends it directly to the browser. The browser then doesn't
    find any known extension (.txt, .htm, .html) and prompts for download.

    As Marek allready explained, you need to configure Apache to recognize .php
    files. Marek sent you the lines you need already. I may add that maybe these
    lines need to be different with your Apache version (2), check the
    install.txt in your PHP directory for that. You may also need to replace the
    directoryname in de config lines for where your PHP is.

    Good luck!

    --
    [Win2000 | Apache/1.3.23]
    [PHP/4.2.3 | MySQL/3.23.53]

    Ivo Fokkema
    PHP & MySQL programmer
    Leiden University Medical Centre
    Netherlands

    "Karen Santmyer" <ksantmyer> wrote in message
    news:20030716155109.66478.qmailweb40613.mail.yaho o.com...
    > HI:
    >
    > Can anyone refer me to someone that can help with the problem below.
    >
    > I installed Apache Web Server on my laptop which has Windows XP. I
    then installed PHP. I followed the directions in the book I had on
    installing apache and php and what to add to the apache configuration file.

    > Here is what is happening: After installing everything, I tested my
    Apache web server installation first and saw the apache web server page like
    the book said. Then it said to do a little php program - which had
    phpinfo() in it. But when I retyped the url I got a message that asked me
    did I want to download a file, which was the php program file.

    > The PHP is 4.3.2 and the apache web server is 2.0. What am I doing
    wrong? Should I use apache 1.3.2?

    > Please help. I understand everything, just don't know why it is
    prompting me to download a file.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Karen

    Ivo Fokkema Guest