Professional Web Applications Themes

Problem with booting RH 9.0 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Some background: I have a system that is running RH 7.1 plus my application. All my applications are stored in that 20Gb hard drive. I wanted to upgrade to RH 9.0 but I didn't want to do that on existing drive. I purchased a new 20 Gb and load the RH 9.0 on it. I connected the new drive with RH 9.0 as master and everything works fine. When I connect my old drive as "slave" and try to reboot with both drive, after I start the OS from GRUB, at the time of checking file system , I got ...

  1. #1

    Default Problem with booting RH 9.0

    Some background:

    I have a system that is running RH 7.1 plus my application. All my
    applications are stored in that 20Gb hard drive. I wanted to upgrade
    to RH 9.0 but I didn't want to do that on existing drive. I purchased
    a new 20 Gb and load the RH 9.0 on it. I connected the new drive with
    RH 9.0 as master and everything works fine. When I connect my old
    drive as "slave" and try to reboot with both drive, after I start the
    OS from GRUB, at the time of checking file system , I got Read only
    files message and the boot sequance gets halted and I got lots of OS
    panic messages.

    If I run with either drive everything is fine but I can NOT have both
    drive present and try to boot.

    Any idea why adding second drive cause the failure in boot?
    Does it haveing RH 7.1 in second drive cause the failure? if yes, how
    can I disable the OS in second drive. I don't want to copy everything
    to my new drive. I think it must be a way to have both drive and boot
    just from the "primary Master" drive.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    thanks,

    --alex
    Alex Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problem with booting RH 9.0

    Alex Movasseghi wrote:

    Perhaps you should put in the new drive, load it with RH 9.0, be sure
    that it boots. Once you've verified the operation of the new drive, try
    adding the old drive and mounting it to the new file system. You'll
    probably have to play with the FSTAB entries to do what you want in any
    event.

    I've never been in your spot, but you should be able to do it.

    Regards,

    Steve

    --------------------------
    Windows free in 2003!!!
    Steven Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:54:41 -0800, Alex Movasseghi typed:

    Red Hat uses the partition labels and this is the cause of your problem.
    Disconnect the older RH7.1 hard drive, then boot the system. Modify both
    grub (/boot/grub/grub.conf) and fstab (/etc/fstab) not to use partition
    labels on the new hard drive with RH9 installed, use the /dev/partition
    instead. Then re-attach the second drive and boot into RH9 and mount the
    root partition of the RH7.1 partition and modify the /etc/fstab not to use
    partition labels.

    You should re-install grub(on the RH9 hard drive) to add the now slave
    hard drive to the /boot/grub/device.map file. And if you want you can then
    add the RH7.1 boot to the /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

    Example; grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

    Lenard Guest

  4. #4

    "Steven Farber" <net> wrote in message

    > Perhaps you should put in the new drive, load it with RH 9.0, be sure
    > that it boots. Once you've verified the operation of the new drive, try
    > adding the old drive and mounting it to the new file system. You'll
    > probably have to play with the FSTAB entries to do what you want in any
    > event.
    >
    > I've never been in your spot, but you should be able to do it.[/ref]

    Or, put in both drives and a rescue CD and take a look at the drives and
    their contents. In particular, if you have two partitions labeled as "/" and
    you are using labels in your /etc/fstab to identify the root partitions,
    this way lies madness.

    Nico Guest

  5. #5

    "Lenard" <0.0.1> wrote in message

    > Red Hat uses the partition labels and this is the cause of your problem.
    > Disconnect the older RH7.1 hard drive, then boot the system. Modify both
    > grub (/boot/grub/grub.conf) and fstab (/etc/fstab) not to use partition
    > labels on the new hard drive with RH9 installed, use the /dev/partition
    > instead. Then re-attach the second drive and boot into RH9 and mount the
    > root partition of the RH7.1 partition and modify the /etc/fstab not to use
    > partition labels.
    >
    > You should re-install grub(on the RH9 hard drive) to add the now slave
    > hard drive to the /boot/grub/device.map file. And if you want you can then
    > add the RH7.1 boot to the /boot/grub/grub.conf file.
    >
    > Example; grub-install --recheck /dev/hda[/ref]

    This can all be done from the installation CD's or installation floppies: no
    need to remove the drives.

    Nico Guest