Professional Web Applications Themes

problem with getting xterm to allow scrollbar dragging and cut&paste - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello! I have two mouse-related problems (PS/2 3-button + wheel), RH8: a) I use a launcher with: /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -aw +cm -cu +nul -e /bin/ksh -l This command gets me an xterm with a login korn shell, and the scrollbar shows up on the left side. All well and good thus far, but, with the pointer on the scrollbar, I need to click with the rightmouse to go up several lines and to click with the leftmouse to go down several lines. What I'd like to do is to hold the leftmouse down and drag the scrollbar. How may I get ...

  1. #1

    Default problem with getting xterm to allow scrollbar dragging and cut&paste

    Hello!

    I have two mouse-related problems (PS/2 3-button + wheel), RH8:

    a) I use a launcher with:
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -aw +cm -cu +nul -e /bin/ksh -l

    This command gets me an xterm with a login korn shell,
    and the scrollbar shows up on the left side. All well
    and good thus far, but, with the pointer on the scrollbar,
    I need to click with the rightmouse to go up several lines
    and to click with the leftmouse to go down several lines.

    What I'd like to do is to hold the leftmouse down and drag
    the scrollbar. How may I get .Xdefaults/launcher-properties
    to do this? Needless to say I've been wading through docs
    and have not succeeded in figuring this out.

    I'll note that mozilla's scrollbars seem to work like this
    request.

    b) In the text area (of xterm+ksh above, mozilla, etc) I'd like
    to click and drag to get a copy of the underlying text, and to
    then use the middlemouse to paste text. How to accomplish this?

    Thank you for reading this message!
    Chip Campbell
    --
    Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
    [email]cecNgrOyphSon.gPsfAc.nMasa.gov[/email] /_/ \/_//_/

  2. #2

    On 6 Aug 2003 20:37:39 GMT, Charles E. Campbell
    <cecgryphon.uucp> wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have two mouse-related problems (PS/2 3-button + wheel), RH8:
    >
    > a) I use a launcher with:
    > /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -aw +cm -cu +nul -e /bin/ksh -l
    >
    > This command gets me an xterm with a login korn shell,
    > and the scrollbar shows up on the left side. All well
    > and good thus far, but, with the pointer on the scrollbar,
    > I need to click with the rightmouse to go up several lines
    > and to click with the leftmouse to go down several lines.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is to hold the leftmouse down and drag
    > the scrollbar. How may I get .Xdefaults/launcher-properties
    > to do this? Needless to say I've been wading through docs
    > and have not succeeded in figuring this out.

    You can drag the scrollbar using the middle button. Or try another
    terminal emulator such as gnome-terminal or rxvt.
    Although xterm's scrollbar doesn't work like the ones in Windows, it
    can scroll with the mouse wheel, even if the scrollbar is not visible.

    --
    Excuse me, but didn't I tell you there's NO HOPE for the survival of
    OFFSET PRINTING?

  3. #3

    In article <inaa01-b6f.ln1don.localnet>,
    Bill Mar <bmariglou.com> wrote:
    >You can drag the scrollbar using the middle button. Or try another
    >terminal emulator such as gnome-terminal or rxvt. Although xterm's
    >scrollbar doesn't work like the ones in Windows, it can scroll with the
    >mouse wheel, even if the scrollbar is not visible.

    Actually I've tried dragging the scrollbar with the middlemouse, too;
    that doesn't work either :( .

    Regards,
    Chip Campbell

  4. #4

    Charles E. Campbell <cecgryphon.uucp> wrote:
    > In article <inaa01-b6f.ln1don.localnet>,
    > Bill Mar <bmariglou.com> wrote:
    >>You can drag the scrollbar using the middle button. Or try another
    >>terminal emulator such as gnome-terminal or rxvt. Although xterm's
    >>scrollbar doesn't work like the ones in Windows, it can scroll with the
    >>mouse wheel, even if the scrollbar is not visible.
    > Actually I've tried dragging the scrollbar with the middlemouse, too;
    > that doesn't work either :( .
    not with the default bindings. A while back someone got me to add a fix which
    let him do something like this with modified bindings (so it's doable with
    xterm).

    However, you should be able to use the shift pageup/pagedown (default bindings)
    to do the scrolling, and right mouse button to extend the selection.

    --
    Thomas E. ey <eyradix.net> <eyherndon4.his.com>
    [url]http://ey.his.com[/url]